Went through a crazy birthing/surgery/rescuing of my cats. Need advice.

Chumguppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night was crazy. Me and my boyfriend came home from his doctor appointment he goes to regularly due to his brain tumor removal surgery, keep in mind me and my boyfriend live in the country a hour and a half away from his hospital. So usually we leave at night to stay at his parents for nigh and go home the next day.

We were unsure how far along our young first queen cat was but we definitely overshoot it because she gave birth the night or next morning we came home.

I hadn’t prepared anything yet. I came home tired to find my queen had given birth. On my shag carpet rug! There were four of them and I wasn’t sure how long they’d been born, the queen was still dirty and it was a mess. I also had my tomboy in the room and he’s territorial.

(TRIGGER WARNING. GRAPHIC GOREY DETAILS)

I hadn’t noticed on top of all this but two cats seemed to be stuck together, I had thought it was maybe stuck together by the matted blood on their fur. No, Kitten A’s hind leg was wrapped and circulation was cut off and swelling into a mass due to Kitten B’s umbilical cord being wrapped and tangled around Kitten A’s leg. AND the placenta was matted down to the fur rug attached to umbilical.

We called his nurse mom and we managed to get both cats apart Kitten B was fine. But kitten A hind leg was a mess. (I cleaned the whole room after. The room was a mess too and threw out the rug😣)

we took it to the vet this morning and he said it’s be best to put the kitten down even though she had a strong cry, ate from her mother well, and didn’t seem malnourished.

I trust in him but I’m feeling regret and I recently had an abortion so I’m unsure if it hormones lol. The queen is also looking in the cat carrier we brung them in, I really think she’s looking for the other kitten:/.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry this happened when you were away. It is a shame the kitten was put down. The leg could have possibly been amputated and she could live a three-legged normal life, but what is done is done. Also, surgery on tiny kittens can be difficult.

The mother cat will soon stop looking for this baby. Do keep the tom away from them because he can impregnate mom again soon. In fact, schedule him for a neuter as soon as possible.

Yes, you have a lot on your plate right now, but when things like this occur it is very upsetting. Mom should be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

I hope things go well with the new kittens from here on!