wellness or Blue Buffalo

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so I've decided to forgo the raw diet for now, at least until I can talk to a cat nutritionist. I've actually found out (out of boredom really) that both the Wellness brand and the Blue Buffalo are only a few dollars more than the Purina Pro PLan that my cats have been eating, and obviously much healthier for them. My question is, which one is better? Which ones do cats have fewest reactions to, and do either of these do well at keeping the hairballs away? one of my cats is prone to hairballs, and the Purina pro plan has done a good job of helping her to not have hairballs, but I would like them to be on a healthier food. any advice or recommendations?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried wellness and it gave my kitten bad gas. I have heard good things about blue buffalo though I have never tried it. I feed taste of the wild

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a new Purina that I heard was better, and I saw it on crazy cheap sale at Petsmart.

Wesley was fine on BB Chicken and Brown Rice Kitten, Wellness Chicken and Rice Kitten and Adult, and BB Wilderness.

Buttercup had loose stools on BB Chicken Kitten, was ok on Wellness but not perfect (kitten and adult are virtually identical formulas), and perfect on BB Wilderness.

So Wilderness is what we are sticking with.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We chose Blue Buffalo - Wilderness and it has been WONDERFUL! My kitties gobble it up and love it. Their coats are already looking healthier and they are happy, healthy kitties!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed both Wellness and Blue (they don't use the "buffalo" part anymore, by the way) canned foods

Wellness are grain free: Chicken, turkey, and Beef&chicken. The only Blue I feed is Blue Healthy gourmet flaked chicken. It has rice in it. Not whole rice, unfortunately. (I also feed two flavors of Weruva, one flavor of Petite Cuisine and one flavor of California Naturals)

I do use the Blue spa select kibble for treats/snacks. My cats wouldn't eat Wellness kibble.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat Wellness grain free. I found he's done great on it. Less shedding (he was also a 'hairballer'). He stools have very little odor now as well. Best to just try them and see how they work for your kitty.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to go to raw food at some point, you might want to give them all canned food. It will make the transition easier. Blue and Wellness both make good canned foods.

If you do want the dry food, I'd say Blue Wilderness is probably the best, regular Blue second choice, and Wellness third choice. My cats didn't do well on Wellness, though I suppose that depends on the individual cat. Wellness CORE would be an option, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay, so it sound like blue Wilderness is the winner! and Currently I do dry in the morning, and wet at night, so we will continue to do this when we make the brand switch. currently they eat the friskies crap for wet food (which they love, but I hate the smell). thankfully they're not that picky, so transitioning them to this new stuff should be easy.