Wellness Core Beef, Lamb, Venison

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share with you guys what happened when I opened one of the cans that I got from Wellness CORE Beef, Lamb and Venison.

I have already emailed Wellness about this and am waiting to hear back.

When I opened the can I immediately noticed that there was a section of the food that was missing, like the can was not filled completely (I did make marks in it because its 7 am and haven't had coffee yet, so I mentally noted it was funny that didn't fill it completely). When I lifted the spoon to put the food in Mika's bowl, I was struck that the food was very dry and the end by where the missing food was COMPLETELY black/green.

Pictures are included:

IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0068 2.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh! I think that flavor never fills the whole can, but I've never seen it dry like that. I have a few cans in my pile, so I'll be sure to look well and make sure they're okay the next time the girls get it. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh! I think that flavor never fills the whole can, but I've never seen it dry like that. I have a few cans in my pile, so I'll be sure to look well and make sure they're okay the next time the girls get it. Thanks!
My main concern is I'm fairly positive that is mold growing on the side. And I agree, it usually isn't the full full can but thats a bigger chunk off the side than I've ever seen before. Now that I'm looking really closely (and had my coffee), you can see on the meat that the black/green is actually colored the meat.

The lid of the can also had a green tint to it which I don't ever remember either.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's mold. How does the food smell? Is this the first time you've fed this flavor, or are you comparing it to previous cans? I would wait to hear back from wellness before feeding it, but to me it just looks overcooked, or maybe that blend of meats turns out kind of odd!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's mold. How does the food smell? Is this the first time you've fed this flavor, or are you comparing it to previous cans? I would wait to hear back from wellness before feeding it, but to me it just looks overcooked, or maybe that blend of meats turns out kind of odd!
I've fed this before. It definitely did not have that look before and that side of the food was the only side I would consider "wet". I didn't notice a smell with it when I opened it.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update from Wellness:
They are sending me coupons for the food. They said it's possible that since the food is cooked in can that the seal could have been compromised. However, they also stated that mold usually grows white or green on wet food. Their Quality Assurance team said it is most likely the differences in the meat but also couldn't be sure. Hence, they are sending coupons and compensation for the can.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't chocolate one of the ingredients? I would not be surprised.

Last edited:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work at a petstore and once I picked up a can of merrick dog food and it was... off feeling lol. When I shook it it sounded like a lump of something was flopping around inside the can. So I opened it for fun and it looked exactly like this. A dry chunk of weird nastiness. Not sure what caused it. I tossed the can. Perhaps it is the cooking process. Since it has to get the can hot too I can only imagine what that does to the cans seal.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've thought that this particularly variety of Core always had a darker, drier look to it. But if I saw that it was greenish, I probably would have done just as you have.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It is normal for some flavors to be darker than others. Beef is darker than chicken on our plates too.