Well This Is An Interesting Development...

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
As you may have seen/heard before, my family and I have recently taken in one of our barncats to live with us. Thor, the kitten, is now 3 months old.

He has always been a tiny cat, which is why we adopted him. From the beginning, he's been very picky with his food (compared to the other barncats who scarf things down like lions). He hates fish and greatly prefers chicken and duck. This is fine.

Today, however, we gave him a few plain, lightly cooked bits of chicken. He really enjoyed it, and ever since he's been sitting by his food bowl waiting for more. He ADORES it.

*I inference that his fondness for the plain chicken comes from what he ate as a younger kitten. The barncats are always catching birds and squirrels and other treats.*

We do not have the time/resources for putting him on a full, balanced raw diet, but would we be able to mix some meat cuts (with no seasoning/oil or anything) to his normal food?

I have a feeling he might scorn his normal food now, though...

(Pictured below: the tiny predator)
IMG_5636.JPG

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So cute! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with adding some cooked meat as a treat to his food. Many people on this board suggest as a rule of thumb that no more than 10% of a cat's diet should be unbalanced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
So cute! I'm sure there's nothing wrong with adding some cooked meat as a treat to his food. Many people on this board suggest as a rule of thumb that no more than 10% of a cat's diet should be unbalanced.
That sounds good. I just gave him some supper and he was very disappointed he didn't get chicken! Just regular old canned food.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
When I was transitioning the girls from canned to raw, I gave them small pieces of boneless raw chicken thighs. I diced the thighs, froze them, and put a few pieces in the fridge at night so they’d be thawed for the next day. Good for their teeth, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, and I hear gizzards are good for the teeth as well. We have a package of them in the freezer, waiting!