well, that's just rude!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did anyone read this?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060410/...man_ticketed_1

That's mean! I hardly ever manage to cross the street before the light starts flashing, I don't know who can unless you run. They never have them timed long enough.
Although it is frustrating waiting for people to cross sometimes, at the end of the day, I think people just need a little more patience and to learn to wait.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, the Officer should have helped her cross safely rather than give her a ticket!

Cars are taking over our towns and cities. A woman driver who was in front of me this morning ran right thro' a red light, the man, with a young child, waiting to cross shook his head in dis-belief.

Perhaps we should take on the French way and return our towns and villages to a state where the people have right of way

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, that is very unfair and rude! I think they need to have the lights for the crossing people to stay a little bit longer - I know up in the bigger cities where people walk a lot more around town, they have a countown so it tells you how long you have until the cars can start going - I do believe they start at 20 seconds as well. I don't think thats long enough at all!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Thats terrible!!. If that happend here their would be hell to pay with the police officer.

Poor woman
i don't understand this.
here, the pedestrian has the right of way, unless s/he is jaywalking [crossing at an undesignated spot]. if you hit him/her, you get the ticket, even if the light has changed - as long as s/he is in the crosswalk. maybe the laws are different in other states?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats exactly it. So if a police officer over here gave her a fine for taking her time, it would be on the news on t.v., and in the newspapers showing that that the police have basically picked on an elderly woman.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard about this on the news last night. And my jaw did this. -->

"On Friday, the light changed too quickly even for high school students to make it across without running. It went from green to red in 20 seconds."

I like this remark!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you read this paragraph: "Los Angeles police Sgt. Mike Zaboski of the Valley Traffic Division said police are cracking down on people who improperly cross streets because pedestrian accidents are above normal. He said he could not comment on Coyle's ticket other than to say that it is her word against that of the citing officer, identified only as Officer Kelly." It sounds like she was crossing the street outside of the crosswalk, but a sentence or two later the article says she was crossing a busy five lane boulevaard, so it doesn't make sense for her to have been jaywalking.

Elderly people can sometimes get confused and then they accidently put themselves in danger. So it really doesn't matter if she was crossing the street correctly or not, I think the officer should have helped her cross safely instead of writing out a ticket.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good grief.... Elderly people can't drive a lot of times.... what else are they supposed to do?? That's just wrong. (Not going off on the car vs. pedestrian rant)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think if the police really wanted to reduce pedestrian accidents, they'd concentrate on motorists. Fine the motorists who don't stop at a red before turning right, or who barge through the people crossing because they just can't wait a few seconds more to be on their way. Yes, people do some stupid things like running across the road when they don't have time, but I'm sure the majority of accidents are caused by impatient drivers.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just outrageous! I know on the base here if someone wants to cross the road you have to stop, at a light or intersection or not! Doesn't take but a minute! Sheesh! That is so awful! They definitely need to accommodate people who are not athletes out there trying to cross the road! This just makes me so mad!