Well, Now I'm Confused.

Matt M PA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As some may recall my ramblings about my 2 sisters (8 years old) that haven't been getting along for about a week. We assume one or both of them saw another animal outside and that started this whole mess.

They spent almost all of yesterday loose. They interacted, even laid down inches apart. No problem until later in the evening. One hissed at the other and I separated them.

Today, they were getting along in the AM, so I allowed them to be loose. One spent the day in the bedroom, while the other spent the day with me in the downstairs office. At our dinner time, they were side by side on a table...one washing the other's face briefly. Afterwards, we played with a fishing pole toy together.

Tonight, one stood with the door opened a crack at the top of the basement steps. A bit of a stare. A couple hisses in each direction and I stepped in. Both were "normal" on their own in minutes.

First, am I wrong to step in...or should I let them "vent", providing there's not a fight?

I have contacted a vet that works with behavior issues, but they cannot come for over a week. I also spoke to another vet that can come, and perhaps offer some medication to help.

Maybe I'm on the right track, but I'm confused and want to do the right thing for these two.
Or..perhaps I'm rushing things and expecting too much?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned not getting along for a week, but skipped to the last few days, which don't actually sound too bad. I'd like to have a better picture of the whole week, but based just on the last couple of days, which sound like we are getting some sporadic hissing and growling but still getting along at other moments, I'd likely be comfortable giving them supervised time to see if they can work it out. They aren't going to make things worse unless they actually fight, and they might be able to work through it.

Temporary disturbances in cat relationships are pretty common. Seeing or smelling an animal is one possibility. Another is when one cat goes to the vet and comes home smelling different. They can usually be worked out by the cats without intervention, very rarely requiring a reintroduction process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matt M PA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks ArtNJ!

In a nutshell, we heard a commotion under the bed in the spare room around 2AM Sunday a week ago. I separated them at that time until the morning. (Something like this happened once before when they were looking out the screen door, but it all blew over quickly)

The next night, we had them eat within sight of each other..one in the cat tree and one on the floor. They got along, until one went into the kitchen to check her bowl. Allie often pushes Aggie away from a bowl and Aggie just moves over. This time, she didn't and they hissed, etc. I separated them.

The morning, a similar feeding arrangement and one sat under a table. The other came around the sofa...and the hissing/growling started. Separated again.

For the next few days, I alternated Allie in our bedroom, and Aggie in the basement office with me....while the opposite cat was free to roam. The assumption was that more time was needed for them to calm down.

Saturday, Allie was in the bedroom...Aggie was free. Which...brings us to the "yesterday", mentioned above.

On their own, both are happy, purring, talkative girls. They do seem a bit leary of each other. They do seem to want to "retreat" to either the bedroom or office...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All sounds pretty mild in the scheme of things. I'd just give them some supervised time together to see if they can work it out. Let them hiss -- don't separate them unless it looks like they are going to actually fight.

Matt M PA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ArtNJ, thanks very much for your thoughts.

This is the first I've dealt with anything like tis, despite having cats all my life.

My "gut reaction" would be to separate the two when they hiss. I'm sure your experience well exceed mine...I'm looking forward to these two being buddies again.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ArtNJ, thanks very much for your thoughts.

This is the first I've dealt with anything like tis, despite having cats all my life.

My "gut reaction" would be to separate the two when they hiss. I'm sure your experience well exceed mine...I'm looking forward to these two being buddies again.
I agree with A ArtNJ it sounds like normal growing up spats and dominance shoves.
I used to wait for the bus at the home of two teenage girls, and they hissed and spat every morning too! :) Oddly enough, their mom gave the same advice I’ve seen here for cats “I don’t bother separating them unless fir is flying...”
Girls are touchy, especially teenagers and even if they hit each other and make noise is best to let them get it over with- as long as their is no blood or fur.
Ah parenting! :)

Matt M PA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I am truly thankful for your help. This is very tough for us.

A short update. Aggie spent the night mostly in the office, Allie was locked up with us in the bedroom. I fed them within sight of each other this AM...then they both went to their seeming safe places...one to the office...the other upstairs.

We'll see how the day goes. My wife ws talking about putting up baby gates, etc but I just don't know if that's needed...

Matt M PA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like some progress. Last night, Allie spent the night in our bedroom and Aggie was free. (Allie actually has been leading my wife to the bedroom...) I closed the basement door so that Aggie had to be upstairs. First thing this AM, Aggie was meowing at the door.

This AM, fed them both within 5 feet of each other. One in the tree, one on the floor. After eating, we played a bit and they wandered around, looked out the door together for awhile..washed each other's faces. Mid-morning, Allie went to the cat tree and Aggie came to be with me in the office. Around 2 or so, I fed them again but this time on the floor a few feet from each other. After eating, Aggie when to the tree and Allie slept in a laundry basket a few feet away.

At dinner time, my wife gave them each a few treats and they ate a bit. Then, Aggie went to the office and Allie went upstairs.

Around 9, Allie went up to the bedroom and Aggie is free.

So, seems like progress and we're keeping them apart at night just in case. They're not back to their normal selfs yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic...