Welcome to the Kidney Issues Expert forum with Dr. Kris!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm excited to introduce a new expert forum hosted by @Dr Kris  aka Dr. Kristopher Chandroo, DVM, where you can post your questions about kidney issues in cats and any related topics.

Take a minute to read Dr. Kris's blog post about the topic  where he managed to write a whimsical fun post about a very serious topic. The post includes a video made by Dr. Kris about SQ fluids for cats. Well worth watching for anyone with a cat that has kidney problems! 

Have a kidney question? Please start a new thread in this forum by using this button at the top of this page: 

Dr. Kris will be available for questions here this week. The forum will be closed for new questions on Sunday, the 27th.

Welcome aboard everyone - let's talk cat kidneys! 

Last edited:

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Thank you for the intro Anne!

Wow - what a day at the clinic - on 12 hours and going!

In 2.5 hours, I will be on the board answering some questions!

Cheers,

Dr. Kris

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Hey guys, 

tomorrow is another 12 hour day, but then im back on the boards.

Amazing questions so far.

I will answer all of them, even if im a day or two behind!

k

mycatrockford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am wondering what I should do....  My cat Rocky just got home from a week long stay at the local Vet hospital because he had crystal build up in his urethra.  The Doctor gave him amoxicillin for any infection that may be in the bladder or the urinary track for me to give him when he gets home.  Since I have administered the prescribed 3ml dosage twice daily he hasn't eaten or had anything to drink or used the litter box at all.  He has had only three doses but I am afraid to continue with the current dosage.  Of course its Sunday and I can't get a hold of a vet so I don't know what to do.  Rocky has just been laying around sleeping.  He has had some nerve damage in the past with the left side of his body and he is also struggling with walking on that side.  He doesn't want to move around or anything and he is breaking my heart.  He is 9 years old and the closest thing I have or ever will have to a child.  Please help me if you can.

Thank you,

Heather McMasters

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise

Hello,

I am wondering what I should do....  My cat Rocky just got home from a week long stay at the local Vet hospital because he had crystal build up in his urethra.  The Doctor gave him amoxicillin for any infection that may be in the bladder or the urinary track for me to give him when he gets home.  Since I have administered the prescribed 3ml dosage twice daily he hasn't eaten or had anything to drink or used the litter box at all.  He has had only three doses but I am afraid to continue with the current dosage.  Of course its Sunday and I can't get a hold of a vet so I don't know what to do.  Rocky has just been laying around sleeping.  He has had some nerve damage in the past with the left side of his body and he is also struggling with walking on that side.  He doesn't want to move around or anything and he is breaking my heart.  He is 9 years old and the closest thing I have or ever will have to a child.  Please help me if you can.

Thank you,

Heather McMasters
Yikes!

So if i read you correctly, he was blocked (he could not pee and needed a catheter in place for most of the week).

If that is what is going on, the main thing is that he must pee. He might be exhausted and sleepy. That is fair game. But if he looks like he actually did before this all happened, (painful, sore, howling, running in and out of the box etc), then he's got to be checked - at if minimum someone needs to put a hand on his bladder and make sure it's small. It could be as simple as a simple exam at an overnight emerg clinic. Hand on the bladder, just to confirm it's small. That is your action step! If you are concerned that he has relocked, don't wait!

Best wishes, 

kris

sterlingbpl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sterling only has one kidney, a fact we discovered a few months back when she was being lethargic and we took her to the vet and the told us she was in kidney failure. She made a miraculous recovery, but today she started vomiting and is not sitting with us and has not been eating or drinking. What should I do?

mycatrockford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I got him to the emergency clinic and the Doctor discovered he has bladder stones.  When in fact the first Doc he had the week long stay with didn't see them on the Xray he did.  I was told he did not have stones just four days ago.  This is insane.  I guess thats why he is laying around.  So we have a surgery scheduled in the morning and are ready but obviously not the same Doc he had the week long stay with.  I'm very sad to say it was an unpleasant experience after 9 years of seeing Rocky I think he just got too busy.  I need a Vet that cares and pays attention to my children.

Thanks for your advice and caring enough to answer!

-Heather