Welcome home, Kirby!

KingKirby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Kirby and I are new to TCS. I met Kirby at a shelter, and decided to adopt him. He just came home today, and he's still extremely scared. He's confined himself to the staircase and has yet to explore the rest of the house and all the amazing things I bought for him :ohwell:

I have plugged in a Feliway diffuser, hopefully he feels more confident in the coming days. Wish us luck!

IMG_20200328_151129.jpg

IMG_20200328_165946.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he looks so scared, poor little guy! Cats absolutely hate change, and he has been through a lot lately. The fact that you can see him at all is very promising, I haven't even seen new cats for weeks! He needs lots of reassurance right now, talk softly to him and offer food and treats. Have everything he needs nearby. Once he is assured no one is out to hurt him and there are no dangers around, he will come out quickly. Do not stare directly at him, that is threatening to cats. Try to avoid any sudden movements or loud noises. Now is NOT the time for visitors either. He will adjust quickly, he just needs a few weeks to get used to his new home. Congratulations, a handsome boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KingKirby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. Kirby isn't my first cat but he's my first scared cat. I've had cats and fosters before but they were all super friendly and confident from the get-go. He's had a really rough day, and so far he's ignoring food, treats, water and bed. He doesn't run but he complains and retreats a bit when he's not comfy with me getting too close. I'm leaving him in his little corner the poor guy. At some point I need to wrestle him to the vet though, he's not neutered yet. Also, the cat sanctuary told me he's FELV positive so I'm gonna get a second opinion to confirm that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that are FeLV positive, I give them DMG, an immune booster, in a lickable treat every day. I get it on Amazon. A bottle lasts a long time. So far they have all been healthy and happy for 6 months. I also keep them strictly inside now so they don't catch anything outside. Before I had the diagnosis, they went outside and were sick all the time with severe respiratory illnesses. they are all around 7 years old, and I'm sure have probably had it since birth, so don't give up, it's not necessarily a death sentence. They confirmed mine by a test done at the vets and a horribly low white blood cell count, but as long as it doesn't infect his marrow he makes more cells every month! all the luck!

KingKirby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tip on DMG, I'll try to get some. At this point I'm just hoping he won't starve himself or get UTI out of fear! I adopted Kirby knowing he was most probably FELV positive, it was one of the reasons I wanted him. The shelter said everyone else passed on him when they heard of his condition. I'll stick by him regardless of the test results,

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww he's a lovely boy. Thanks for giving him his forever home, He just needs time to settle in he might eat and use the litter when everyone has gone to bed.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh I hate when shelters do not fix their animals prior to adoption, there is zero reason for it. Especially if you paid an adoption fee, then its all about the money.

I would honestly suggest putting him in one room with all his stuff, litter boxes, cat tree, cat beds and just let him relax. A big house can be very overwhelming to even confident cats so by starting in a sanctuary room you will really help him relax. :)

For Felv you would have to do an IFA test and PCR test to confirm the diagnosis.

KingKirby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The poor dear has hurt his leg doing Lord knows what last night. It's probably a sprain. One good development is he's started using his litterbox. I've put all his things in my room (I'll be sleeping in the living room).

He's got food, water, scratchpost, comfy bed, empty hidey box and litterbox. Here's a photo of him ignoring the comfy stuff and choosing to plaster himself to the side of the litterbox :doh2:
IMG_20200329_155520.jpg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K KingKirby thanks for sharing and good luck!

Hmmm I’m a bit startled Kirby wasn’t neutered before release.

I echo and concur all that di and bob di and bob say, and add maybe sit with him in the same room for a while every day.

Maybe read or surf the internet.

Keep us apprised of events as they occur and the best of luck!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip on DMG, I'll try to get some. At this point I'm just hoping he won't starve himself or get UTI out of fear! I adopted Kirby knowing he was most probably FELV positive, it was one of the reasons I wanted him. The shelter said everyone else passed on him when they heard of his condition. I'll stick by him regardless of the test results,
You are a true cat hero! I've always wanted to adopt a sick or elder cat to care for them, but was never in a position to with our other animals!

He's beautiful! Good luck! Can't wait to hear more about Kirby <3

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please confirm with a PCR test for FELV. Those can even detect it when the virus is laying dormant as long as he has had it for some months. It’s very common for false positives on those snap tests. Speaking from personal experience.

He’s a lucky boy!!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have cats that are FeLV positive, I give them DMG, an immune booster, in a lickable treat every day. I get it on Amazon. A bottle lasts a long time. So far they have all been healthy and happy for 6 months. I also keep them strictly inside now so they don't catch anything outside. Before I had the diagnosis, they went outside and were sick all the time with severe respiratory illnesses. they are all around 7 years old, and I'm sure have probably had it since birth, so don't give up, it's not necessarily a death sentence. They confirmed mine by a test done at the vets and a horribly low white blood cell count, but as long as it doesn't infect his marrow he makes more cells every month! all the luck!
May I ask what kind you buy btw? Or which one specifically? (are you allowed to post a link? If not could youmessage me it?)

really want to check it out possibly for my own cats.Had no idea that was a thing