Weird Wake Up Behavior

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had my 3 year old DLH, Salem since she was 4 ½ weeks old. She is “different” to the point where she might be considered special needs just because of her behavioral problems, but she has some physical issues as well that need continued maintenance. Anyways, this post really isn’t about any of her more serious issues, just a weird little thing she does every time she wakes up. Whether she is sleeping on the bed with me or somewhere else, the second she wakes up she meows / whines / murrs. The sounds she makes are a little hard to describe as she only makes them in the moments after waking up. It is almost like for a few seconds, she does not know where she is. I will often pet her if she is within reach. If Salem was sleeping somewhere else in the apartment, I can still hear her when she wakes up and I will call to her. Maybe she does it to know where I am? Salem has never been away from me for more than a few hours and she is really bonded to me. This behavior is not really a problem. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Salem 1-16-2021.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket makes little sounds when she wakes up too. I've always gone with the comfort/mumbling approach to it. She also wakes up very slowly (most of the time) and takes a little to be fully awake.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby practically howls when waking up and finding no one around her. She will sometimes do it as well when she is sleeping with us at night, as if to announce that if she is awake so should we be. But, she will also do this at other times of the day - again, mostly when she has been left alone in a room by herself. However, she is also 16+ yo and I attribute it to her having become more 'needy' with age. She doesn't show any other signs of dementia, so think it is just the 'neediness' coming into play. Since you say your cat could be considered a special needs cat - this particular behavior could be part of that as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rocket makes little sounds when she wakes up too. I've always gone with the comfort/mumbling approach to it. She also wakes up very slowly (most of the time) and takes a little to be fully awake.
That makes sense. I didn't even think that Salem might not be fully awake when making these sounds. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeby practically howls when waking up and finding no one around her. She will sometimes do it as well when she is sleeping with us at night, as if to announce that if she is awake so should we be. But, she will also do this at other times of the day - again, mostly when she has been left alone in a room by herself. However, she is also 16+ yo and I attribute it to her having become more 'needy' with age. She doesn't show any other signs of dementia, so think it is just the 'neediness' coming into play. Since you say your cat could be considered a special needs cat - this particular behavior could be part of that as well.
Salem will sometimes cry out if she is alone in a room as well. Though, it sounds totally different from when she is waking up. It just feels like she is saying "where are you?" You may be right about the neediness. She did not get a whole lot of quality time with her mom or siblings and I live alone. So, she had very limited contact with anyone else while growing up and because of that, she will only let me near her. So, it makes sense that she would be a little needy. I mean if I only had one person in my life, I would want to know exactly where they were too!