Weird toileting question.

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having a slight issue with my 2 yo female Oriental Shorthair named Grembly. I noticed that after Grembly poops, sometimes there’s a tiny drop of poop still on her anus after she exits the litter box. Not to be gross but it’s like a teeny tiny Hershey kiss. Unfortunately, I found this out the hard way when she would sit on my light grey suede ottoman & leave a tiny poop stain. When I check the box, her poop is solid, so no diarrhea thankfully. No recent changes in diet. The vet has been prescribing Royal Canin Rabbit dry food for close to a year at this point. She’s never been given people food ever & no treats due to her sensitive palette. So my question is other than chasing her down after each time she poops & checking her butt, any ideas what to do? Or better yet why this might be happening?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird question: Is she eating cat grass? I ask as everything I give the cats that - at least one of them has a dangling poop for a day or two that I sometimes get the joy of stepping on later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weird question: Is she eating cat grass? I ask as everything I give the cats that - at least one of them has a dangling poop for a day or two that I sometimes get the joy of stepping on later.
Nope no cat grass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her poo may be too hard? I would add some wet food to her diet.
Hmmm...The last time Grembly was on wet food it gave her diarrhea. Hence the switch to dry only. Maybe not give her the wet every day or only give her a small amount?

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...The last time Grembly was on wet food it gave her diarrhea. Hence the switch to dry only. Maybe not give her the wet every day or only give her a small amount?
Cats are designed to eat a wet diet, dry food is unhealthy for them biologically and scientifically speaking; noted in the last two articles I placed. (And vets aren't feline nutritionists, so take what they say when it comes to diet with a grain of salt honestly.) A slow transition is required for switching foods, and as you mentioned rabbit, I would advise you to look for a high quality wet rabbit based food.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally she should be on an all wet diet, as the previous poster said. It’s possible that you introduced the wet food too quickly or there was an ingredient that upset her tummy. I would slowly introduce some wet food and feed at least half wet food, but ideally cut the kibble completely.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr elseys clean protein is a very healthy dry food IMHO. My two do very well on it. They also get one meal of wet food a day.