Weird smell that you like?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This question is inspired by the rain the just started falling. :lol: I love the smell of rain on hot pavement when it hasn't rained in a while. I used to love the smell of bleach, but I think I'm starting to get bleached out after the past few months. :rolleyes2:

What's a weird smell that you like?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the smell of smoke and freshly cut grass. I also, weirdly, like the smell of my cats. It's a certain warm fuzzy smell that's hard to describe.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the smell emitted by a 2 stroke motorbike engine because it takes me right back to my Superkart racing days nearly forty years ago.
I think smell, followed by sound, is the most potent memory jogger. It's far more powerful than visual memories, which are unreliable.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
skunks
Also crown imperial, Fritillaria imperialis. Which also smells like skunks

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the smell emitted by a 2 stroke motorbike engine because it takes me right back to my Superkart racing days nearly forty years ago.
I think smell, followed by sound, is the most potent memory jogger. It's far more powerful than visual memories, which are unreliable.
Wow..my kind of people..lol
Smell of racing fuel....like you said..trips a whole lot of great memories.
I set up a super cart for a paraplegic freind of mine..it was great fun and loads of fun to drive.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diesel fuel. My dad always smelled like that when he got home (he worked in the engine room on a Navy ship, with diesel turbines) and I guess I got imprinted at a young age.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Wet dog fur - call me weird but I liked the smell of our dog's fur when he went out on a rainy day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Auto-parts stores. My Dad has a good friend whose family owns a place thats a parts store in the front and garage in the back. He'd take me there and I'd wander the aisles while he talked to his friend. It seemed like for hours. :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt water marsh mud. Lol It’s an acquired pleasure but I grew up on the water. Also the smell of boat motor exhaust mixed with salt water scent. Any smell associated with the ocean. Saltwater breeze or Salt water breeze carried in with a rain storm.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
onions and garlic -- reminds me of when I worked at a pizza place

construction -- I don't know how to describe it, but it's kind of like walking past a site that was demolished yesterday but this morning the air is clean and the workers haven't started doing anything yet? For some reason it reminds me of being on vacation...

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New pair of pointe shoes! When I get a new pair I smell the inside deeply like a freaking cocaine addict :lol:

Also the smell of underground parking garages.

Horses and tack too, but that isn't that peculiar in retrospect.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Roasting green chiles. Nothing better, once when I roasted them myself my house smelled like that for 3 days.
Also marigolds. My dad always had them in the garden.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Salt water marsh mud. Lol It’s an acquired pleasure but I grew up on the water. Also the smell of boat motor exhaust mixed with salt water scent. Any smell associated with the ocean. Saltwater breeze or Salt water breeze carried in with a rain storm.
I lived next to a salt marsh for a while. I’ll definitely call that acquired! I couldn’t stand it! :crazy:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the smell of the air, right before a thunder storm/rain storm hits. Also, the rain on pavement smell is great.
I love the smell of someone who has just come in from outside after being on a snow-machine.
Gasoline and paint thinner
Campfires
Bleach
Pinesol cleaner - but I can't use it anymore...
The old smell of freshly printed paper...when your teacher would hand out documents right off the press...yum.
Permanent and magic markers

I'm starting to sound like a fume huffer....I swear I'm not!