Weird reddish bald patches on my cat's back leg. Any idea what it could be?

missdeon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was responding to toricb's post.
He or she had a concern about ringworm. And, respectfully, you do not know if it is or is not ringworm, just like I do not know for sure. It is toricb who took the cat to the vet and I will have to wait for toricb to tell us what the vet said. If the vet had even a question about the bald patches, it would behoove toricb to begin treatment sooner than later.

Some of my 22 cats have these bald patches but higher up on the actual joint.

When my 7 cats had ringworm, there was this kind of hair loss on some of their back legs. Only three had ringworm start on their head. The rest had ringworm patches on their bodies, necks, legs, and feet...never on their heads. So, in my humble opinion, my advice still stands. While toricb is waiting for the culture to come back, she or he should go ahead and begin some treatment, as long as it will not hurt the cat. Athlete's foot cream (if the cat licks, an e-color can be sued to keep him or her from licking the area) and baths with anti-fungal shampoos will not hurt the animal severely besides the actual bath, which no cat likes. Also, practicing good hygenic measures such as putting the cat into quarantine, away from other cats and people, starting to clean any area that might harbor spores, and hand washing and clothes changing after touching the cat, will not hurt the cat and might save toricb a lot of work, if it does turn out to be ringworm. And, if toricb is not comfortable with the cream or baths, I would suggest at least quarantine to reduce the impact, if it is ringworm. If it turns out not to be, nothing is lost except time doing a bit of spring cleaning and the effort to have a clean, good smelling cat.

All I can offer is my experience. It is up to toricb to take it or not. Having lived through ringworm, I am just urging him or her to err on the side of caution until he or she knows for sure.

toricb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the fungal culture back and they are negative for ringworm! I am certain these are just the pressure points everyone has told me about! Thank you all for helping to ease my mind!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the fungal culture back and they are negative for ringworm! I am certain these are just the pressure points everyone has told me about! Thank you all for helping to ease my mind!

OH WOW !!!!!!!!!!! Such beautiful kitties!! :love: Glad that we could give you some comfort in this thread and that you found TCS! Hope to see you sticking around and posting about your gorgeous cats!!! :bigthumb:

Last edited:

toricb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Feralvr, @stephakneexo, and @raysmyheart,

Thank you so much! Hard to believe someone actually threw them away when they were born, but I'm also glad they did! They are the sweetest...I can't believe they turn one year in just 8 days.  I'll have to make a posting for pictures of them on another forum! And I will definitely be staying around, this website is great!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Feralvr

Thank you so much! Hard to believe someone actually threw them away when they were born, but I'm also glad they did! They are the sweetest...I can't believe they turn one year in just 8 days.  I'll have to make a posting for pictures of them on another forum! And I will definitely be staying around, this website is great!
We certainly hope that you do stick around here! To help you get started ;) :D Have fun checking out the WHOLE site and all of our forums. It IS addicting. :lol2:

Introduce yourself and your cats here: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block

AND post loads of pictures here: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/29/fur-pictures-and-videos-only

Last edited:

Ile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody! I am really in anxiety because I have the same problem with my fat cat (10 kg! European cat!), but today it started bleeding!! At the beginning it was only hair loss, then pink skin and I feared it could go worse, especially if he started grooming in that area. The vet told me that there wasn't much to do, since I could try with a cream, but it could also be worse, if he started licking because of the cream. So by now I did nothing... (he lives with my mum, an old woman) but I feared it could begin bleeding... and every day I go there to see him... and take care of him, but today I saw (I was horrified) that he started grooming there and making it bleed... So, I think it's because of pressure, as the vet confirmed, but I am really upset because I cannot know how to make him stop. I looked for veterinary socks, I think I will buy them... but I am so afraid!
He is my love, he is 7 years old. I would like to take him to my house, I am planning to do it, but here I have a female cat who had cancer, now she is okay, but I need time to make them meet and accept each other. Moreover, here we are fighting against Covid, I am in Lombardy, Italy, and Vet are closed... They open only for urgencies and I also have to struggle to go to my old mum, because I am at risk of infecting myself or my old mum and so on... Not the best situation to face cat health problems, I mean, but I will do anything to make him stay safe and better!
Do anyone know about bleeding of these areas, due to weight pressure and grooming and how to treat?
Thank you so much!!

jenn2525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has a somewhat similar spot… I adopted her about a month ago, and the hair is growing back now, but I’m not sure what caused this.. it looked like a shaved spot and is just on her back left foot.. the picture is from just now, and she doesn’t have any reaction when I touch it, so it’s not bothering her, she doesn’t excessively groom or anything. At first I thought it was where they put the microchip, but after looking it up, I learned they put those between the shoulder blades. (it’s the first time I’ve had an animal with one, so I wasn’t sure where they put it..)

Attachments

JellisMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’d like to see this subject revisited. I found this while doing a google search. But I just noticed these posts go back a few years.

Anyone currently have a cat with this problem? Here’s my cats hind legs:

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an older thread with members who have not been back for a while, so you may not get a response. My guess would be that the pic in #22 is an example of pressure points, but I don't think that is what is happening on your cat's chin.