Weird Question about water on cat's fur.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been scratching quite little bit lately. I don't think he has any sort of problem.. like fleas or anything. But I noticed kind of by accident, he seems soothed by my combing him with a slight layer of water. So I wet a comb and comb him with the water and then I pat it dry with my hands and during this process he purrrrrssss... and this seems to really stop the scratching and makes his coat so soft. Is somehow my cat getting dirty on like my rugs or something?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Depending on where you live, it could be colder and the air in the house is dryer due to less humidity, causing him to feel itchy. Do you get the same result if you comb him without water? It may be that combing him is helping to disperse the natural oils in his skin and make him feel less itchy. You could also try an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement to provide natural moisture for your cat’s skin. And, if this is related to dry itchy skin, you might consider getting a humidifier for your home.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dry winter air can make skin itchy. Run a cool mist humidifier in your home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I feel like it is definitely working. My cat literally purrs when I take out the wet comb, his fur feels a lot better to my touch and he does not seem to be scratching as much as he was before. Also he used to have dandruff but I am not seeing much now. I am actually feeding him hemp capsules. That is full of omega 3s. To my shock I have really noticed a difference in how much he scratches. I used to think he had "ear problems" but now, he doesn't seem to scratch them.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it’s most probably dry air (winter air+ heater) causing dry skin, I know how uncomfortable this is from my own experience, and I also know that humidifier makes a huge difference, so I second that idea in addition to wet combing