Weird Nightime Bahaviour

Chloet1808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to cats, I got my first cat baby (Meggs) at the start last year ans honestly she's been a dream. We got another cat (Tuba) at christmas time last year and she is a terror (I love her to bits though). I need some advice on Tuba's new nightime rituals. The past few months Tuba has been going to sleep with me and being a good girl, but in the middle of the night she tries to wake me up by rubbing her whole body on my face repeatedly and bites my nose and puts her bum on my face and keeps doing this over and over and over until I wake up. Once I wake up, it all accelerates and she keeps going until I eventually have to shut her out of the bedroom. I love sleeping with my cats and I hate shutting them out at night time but I can't handle Tuba's obnoxious behaviour. Does anyone have any advice on what she wants from me? And how to stop her obsessively rubbing her body on my face?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
How old is Tuba (love that name)?

how to stop her obsessively rubbing her body on my face?
Can you give her catnip toys?

If Tuba's younger than a year, you may have to shut her out until she grows out of this stage so you can get some sleep. She wants to play - can you find some self-entertaining toys for her night-time energies? Can you try wearing her out before bedtime?
Try different toys, or even just crumpled balls of paper or tin foil, or maybe there is something here;

Have you tried taking her for walks (depending on how old she is/you can find a harness that fits)? It's possible that she needs more mental stimulation.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Do you have cat trees? Both upright and horizontal scratchers? These can help with exercise.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

21 Best Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

Favorite Cat Toys

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chloet1808

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi furballsmom,

Thanks for your reply

Tuba is only about 8 months old so she's still in her naughty kitty stage. Meggs was born with the mind of an old lady so I never had any of these problems with her, she's only a 18 months old. I guess I was lucky with her!

We have a lot of toys around the house, lots of things dangling off chairs (the strings aren't long enough to cause any choking problems) and tied to their scratching posts. We have ping pong balls, puzzles, battery operated interactive toys, toy mice, bells, you name it, we have it. We also have several scratching posts in different rooms, most are vertical but there is a horizontal one as well that they rarely use.
But they are all toys that we've had for a while and Tuba is sometimes a little bit smart so she might be getting bored of the same toys.

I haven't tried taking her for walks, I tried with Meggs when she was younger but she was way too scared to step foot outside most of the time so I never tried with tuba. So I might actually give that a try, she's a very outgoing little girl so she would probably really enjoy that.

I'll admit I do sometimes slack off with play time before bed after a long day at work but Meggs is usually there to pick up the pieces and she usually initiates play time with Tuba before bed and they chase each other around the house and tackle each other for a while.

I do have a goal of setting up a nice cat area with lots of things to climb and play with for them once our house is fully set up (we've recently moved which probably isn't helping with Tuba' hyperactivity).

But I'll try some of your tips, like walking her and maybe arranging the toys differently and definite engaging in some extra play time before bed to wear her out!