Weird Lump On Cats Belly (please Read & Help!!!)

cocoknickknack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A032B81F-B786-4D49-B905-E10A931CA14C.jpeg EE54D630-4B9F-4000-9775-A57291FFD231.jpeg BEC2888F-F7BF-4390-8DD0-C22D2C919431.jpeg Hi,
I am really new to the whole cat forum thing but this is pretty urgent.

I have a male cat age of 1 year 2 months,
mixed breed, and neutered. His name is Coco.

Earlier today I went to rub his belly and felt this weird hard lump, I asked my bf to help me lift him and when I saw it I was shocked. Here are the pictures we took.

Additional info is... he eats plenty and normally, uses the litter box for pooping and peeing as usual.

Today he started acting a tad bit jumpy and skittish, although as always he did purr today and play. But I can’t hell notice he is a bit off.

We have 3 more cats in the household
(all indoor domestic household cats), one non neutered male, one non spayed female, and two spayed females. They are of very close age to Coco. All are mixed breed as well.

If anyone may please help me out on this, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

The files are attached.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoknickknack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
**typo mistake
“But I can’t HELP BUT notice he is a bit off”

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like an injury that got infected. He'll probably need antibiotics. Vet visit time!

P.S. do you need help finding low-cost spay/neuter options? Having an unneutered male and an unspayed female in the same home will definitely lead to a lot of kittens. If you give your basic location, someone may be able to dig something up for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoknickknack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like an injury that got infected. He'll probably need antibiotics. Vet visit time!

P.S. do you need help finding low-cost spay/neuter options? Having an unneutered male and an unspayed female in the same home will definitely lead to a lot of kittens. If you give your basic location, someone may be able to dig something up for you.
Thank you!
Sometimes he plays aggressively and the other cat fights back. I thought the same but wanted to check here incase.
I was just so nervous hoping it’s not lipoma, or a hernia. But like I said he is fine overall.

We plan on neutering and spaying the two soon, I guess they’re late bloomers. :p

Will go see the vet, many thanks once again!!! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given the age of the cats neutering and spaying should be done soon.

As to your question, I'd agree it looks like an abscess (bacteria trapped under the skin forming a pocket of infection). You should see a vet as soon as possible as that kind of thing can spread through the fat and into internal organs. My cat had an abscess in the same general area and my vet did surgery immediately to drain it because of concerns of it spreading. Which is not to scare you, just urge you to see a vet soon.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like an abcess to me as well and some infection there. Can you take him to your vet, he will need antibiotics.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has a similar one currently! I'm attaching two pictures.

I showed it to the vet earlier this month and he said it could be an allergic reaction or fungus something (he didn't used the word 'ringworm' but I asked if it could pass to me and he said if it does it will look round and the only fungus thing I know who can pass to humans and looks like that is ringworm.) He didn't do any tests as there was low WBC in her bloodwork and elavated UREA nitrogen so he wasn't going to prescribe a medicine even if it was fungus (hard on kidneys for her at this time.) Instead he gave a herbal something. Asked me to put it on in the am & pm, and that I could also use an over the counter antiseptic. The kind they use before surgeries. (In Turkey that's Batticon.) He asked me to come back if it's still there 3 weeks later.

This was two weeks ago and she unfortunately still has it but I haven't been successful at following the ointment schedule AT ALL. I'm not even sure if I should try as things aren't getting worse AND she leaves it alone when nothing is being done but licks it clean if I put anything. But it also didn't get worse and she didn't get a second one.

In case yours is a fungus something/ringworm, the bad news is you need to avoid skin contact between him and the other cats. Fungus/ringworm is contagious. Don't touch it with bare hands either.

The good news is if the cat is doing well otherwise and this turns out to be fungus, I read these things go away on their own in 2-4 months at most in the wild. NOT to say don't take him to the vet and don't follow a treatment plan if it is fungus. Just to say this isn't a life and death situation.

Please be wary of vets who prescribe antibiotics to everything. Antibiotic resistance is real. And they are not easy on kidneys. They should never be the first choice except for some internal diseases.

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to write. I recently purchased this myself. Not used it yet but it has good reviews everywhere I checked.