Weird "Goodbye" Phone Calls, Anyone?

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone else getting these weird phone calls? I've got about five of them today. When you pick up the phone, and say "Hello?" about fifteen seconds after there's this really creepy automated voice that says "Goodbye". Does anyone know what these are? They creep me out :lol3:. I'm in Canada, also.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but my Mom got a bunch of...."adult" texts last few weeks.  I have been getting numerous calls for alarm companies.  I tell each one I have another system installed already.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's an auotmated telemarket call from overseas. What would normally happen is that you would receive a call, and when you answer, the call would be directed to an "agent" who would pretend that they called you.  If no "agent" is available when the call is redirected, the call gets dropped and you hear "good-bye."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's an auotmated telemarket call from overseas. What would normally happen is that you would receive a call, and when you answer, the call would be directed to an "agent" who would pretend that they called you.  If no "agent" is available when the call is redirected, the call gets dropped and you hear "good-bye."
Ohhhhhhhhhh. :lol3: okay! Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense!!

No but my Mom got a bunch of...."adult" texts last few weeks.  I have been getting numerous calls for alarm companies.  I tell each one I have another system installed already.
:lol3: I tell them that too. I also get numerous calls for air duct cleaning services, but "I've already had that done." ;)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL in this area the truth is NO one has ducts unless added on to the house.  All electric heat and window ACs.  I would rather get the calls then door to door lawn care/home improvement.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We've been getting a lot of phone calls for a Royal Caribbean cruise from some company. It starts out with "Congratulations on behalf of Royal Caribbean!" and then I hang up. We get about two a day for about three weeks, then they go away for awhile. Then they come back again. Thank goodness for answering machines.

Also, there's a credit card scam going on where they want you to get some kind of insurance for your credit card. Getting a lot of phone calls for that, too, right now.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite ones are the home repair calls for roofing or windows. I live in an apartment!

I actually had to unplug my land-line for the massive amount of telemarketing calls (3-4x a day!) I've been getting. I am on the no-call & annoymous list with Verizon.. then I found out that freecreditscore.com gives out my number and I've been getting calls through them. When I canceled my account with freecreditscore, the calls slowly reduced to a few a week.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been getting a lot of phone calls for a Royal Caribbean cruise from some company. It starts out with "Congratulations on behalf of Royal Caribbean!" and then I hang up. We get about two a day for about three weeks, then they go away for awhile. Then they come back again. Thank goodness for answering machines.
I've got those ones before. Also, ones where it starts the call with a loud noise sounding like it's from a ship saying I won a cruise. I'm always "one of a select few" that have been chosen. I found out it was because I entered a contest to win a trip at a fair. I no longer enter those kinds of contests.

I don't get them as much anymore since I have a magic jack instead of a regular phone line.

Cat_Angel08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Canada and I also get these weird calls except I dont even say hello and they still say goodbye after 5 seconds, this happened to me 2 times from an unknown number

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm on a do-not-call list for the landline.
If a spammer gets through, I pick up the phone and then put it down without hanging up. I don't know whether it still works, but it used to be that they couldn't use the line until I do.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else getting these weird phone calls? I've got about five of them today. When you pick up the phone, and say "Hello?" about fifteen seconds after there's this really creepy automated voice that says "Goodbye". Does anyone know what these are? They creep me out :lol3:. I'm in Canada, also.
I used to get those calls years ago.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I've taken to answering my landline rather tersely with, "Robot or human?"

If it's a robot, I hang up. If it's a human, it throws them off guard and they offer to put me on their "do not call" list immediately.

Then they call me back again an hour later, because they're just doing their jobs.

You can't opt out of the spam calls from AT&T if you are using AT&T services, and there aren't any other choices for landlines in my area. There's no sense cussing out the kid with the crappy minimum wage or less job. It might make you feel better, but it won't change anything.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got that call when I was at work. I listened to the message when I got home and it was silent for 10 seconds or so, then the ominous "good-bye". It almost sounded like some weird threat on my life "from beyond" LOL! Totally creepy!:paranoid:
Scammers are in full force right now. It's gotten really bad over the last 2 years or so. Sometimes I'm getting 10 calls a day. The worst is now they are calling as early as 5 am. They're hoping to catch people off guard when they're groggy and not as alert.
One of these days I'm going to start answering so that if it's a real person I can mess with them, but I just never feel like engaging them so I just let the phone go.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten several of those calls where they threaten to freeze my Social Security if I don't 'verify' my account information. Needless to say, they don't get squat from me.