Weird eating behaviour

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of a sudden Moo refused to eat his wet food from a dish. He looked at it and walked away. I thought maybe it was the dish so I got him a different dish. He ate from it twice then today he took his paw and pulled the food from the dish with his paw then ate it when it was on the floor. I know he's hungry and likes the food so I don't understand what's going on. Has anyone ever seen this weird behavior?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone ever seen this weird behavior?
No, not that specific behavior but cats do have a rep for being finicky especially when it comes to food or their eating habits. ;) Is there something about the dish Moo didn't like, perhaps a smell or soap residue? Maybe try feeding him from several different type of bowls or even a plate. Has he shown any signs of not feeling well? Here is an Article that discusses feeding tips - scroll down to feeding dish tips: 18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not that specific behavior but cats do have a rep for being finicky especially when it comes to food or their eating habits. ;) Is there something about the dish Moo didn't like, perhaps a smell or soap residue? Maybe try feeding him from several different type of bowls or even a plate. Has he shown any signs of not feeling well? Here is an Article that discusses feeding tips - scroll down to feeding dish tips: 18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
He has eaten from this plate for a long time. I did buy another dish and he ate from it for 2 days then stopped. He shows no signs of illness.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The concern I would have is that he has teeth or a tooth that is bothering him. It can make them eat very gingerly or can change their eating habits. In this case he may be blaming the plate for pain he is feeling in his mouth. If If he hasn’t been to the vet or had his teeth examined recently then you should bring him in.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The concern I would have is that he has teeth or a tooth that is bothering him. It can make them eat very gingerly or can change their eating habits. In this case he may be blaming the plate for pain he is feeling in his mouth. If If he hasn’t been to the vet or had his teeth examined recently then you should bring him in.
He had his teeth cleaned about 6 months ago but I think I'll just take him in to make sure.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there something about the dish Moo didn't like, perhaps a smell or soap residue? Maybe try feeding him from several different type of bowls or even a plate.
Some cats don't like eating from a bowl because it tweaks their whiskers.

Cat's whiskers are super sensitive! They use them to feel things in their environment and to measure tight spaces to tell whether they can fit. So, if their food bowl tweaks their whiskers, they can't "feel" their food before eating it and they'll either avoid the bowl or do weird things like your cat does, such as scooping with their paws.

Casper's stainless food bowls are about 4 inches in diameter and only about an inch deep. He can eat from his bowls without his whiskers touching. I also don't think that Casper is very picky about his whiskers touching when he eats.

I suggest you try a wide, shallow bowl like a serving bowl or a soup bowl or, better, try a shallow plate without a rim.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't like eating from a bowl because it tweaks their whiskers.

Cat's whiskers are super sensitive! They use them to feel things in their environment and to measure tight spaces to tell whether they can fit. So, if their food bowl tweaks their whiskers, they can't "feel" their food before eating it and they'll either avoid the bowl or do weird things like your cat does, such as scooping with their paws.

Casper's stainless food bowls are about 4 inches in diameter and only about an inch deep. He can eat from his bowls without his whiskers touching. I also don't think that Casper is very picky about his whiskers touching when he eats.

I suggest you try a wide, shallow bowl like a serving bowl or a soup bowl or, better, try a shallow plate without a rim.
I'll give that a try.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Moo to the vet and his teeth are fine. Vet has no idea why he's behaving so strangely about eating. I got him a flat saucer and he ate from it for two days then went back to pawing the food out onto the floor. I tried a bit of new food thinking he was tired of the one he's been eating but that made no difference either. I give up.:salute:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Moo to the vet and his teeth are fine. Vet has no idea why he's behaving so strangely about eating. I got him a flat saucer and he ate from it for two days then went back to pawing the food out onto the floor. I tried a bit of new food thinking he was tired of the one he's been eating but that made no difference either. I give up.:salute:
Well, it’s good you got him checked anyway. And some times there is just no figuring them out.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food or dry food? My RB kitty Cindy used to pull the kibble off the dish and eat it. We had a mat on the floor for her to do that. She also dipped her paw in the water bowl and drank off her paw. I miss that little sweetheart so much.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has he been pawing his food like this?

Could it be possible that he has been doing this long enough that he has gotten used to pawing his food and, now, thinks this is the “normal“ way to eat?

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just started with the pawing. He's been fine since I took him home and the woman who had him before me said he never did that with his food.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno'... I'm spitballing, here...

Sometimes cats don't like something about the place where their food is.
Humans think that a corner in the kitchen, somewhere, is a right-fine place for a cat to have dinner but the cat could have other ideas.

Maybe he doesn't like being in a corner where he can't see his surroundings when he's eating. When a cat puts its head down to eat, that's a vulnerable position. He might want to be able to keep an eye out for people or things in his surroundings while he eats.

Maybe he wants to eat in a place closer to where his humans eat. Cats understand when their humans are eating. Casper knows when we are eating and he will go nibble from his food bowl whenever we have dinner... so we put Casper's food bowl in a place where he can see us having dinner. That way we can eat as a family.

Maybe your cat wants to eat in private? He might like it better if his dish was moved to a secluded location.

Maybe his dish is near something he doesn't like? The sound of the refrigerator or something like that might spook him.

Bottom line is that, maybe, you could try moving your cat's food dish to a few different places to see if he likes it better. :)

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dish is currently in the kitchen close to where I eat but I'll try moving it. Cats are weird. :lol: