Weird dog commands

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are we the only ones that use off the wall commands with their dogs? While our dogs know "sit", they know "park it" just as well. Here's some more:

"Chill" - lay down and calm yourself
"Kitties sleeping" - stay off the sofa (or chair)
"This way" - for come
"pork chops" - biscuits
"blinky blinky" - bat your eyes at me (Sam does this)
"waggy waggy" - wag your tail at me (Spike does this)
"puppy time" - when I release them to clean the unfinished canned food in the bottom of the cat food bowls

Tell me the odd commands that you give your dogs please!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if it is odd- but we have

Leave it- when China is a bit to eager with the inside cats
No chase- when she starts out after the barn cats

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use `leave it' - one of the most important of all, IMO. Of course, doesn't work too well when they leave it for about three seconds and then go right back to what they were doing....lol.

With Rubes we have `cuddles?' and she'll come right up and plonk herself on you. And `kisses?' same thing, only you get a lick in the face for that one.

We only have to say `Puppies!!' for them to come running, and when their play-fighting gets a little boisterous they get a sharp hand-clap and `Too rough!!', which stops them.

Ruby knows `chill' too, but she ignores is mostly...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bear knows
Park it -sit
Leave it
drop it
high five
settle- which means calm down
back up
get in your box -go lie down, his "box" is a dog bed in front of the entertainment center.
Let's go to bed
Go get Jeremy -go bother my fiance' until he gets out of bed.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and my GSDs used to know `Where's the ball?' and they would run off and find it. Awesome. I don't know how to teach that to Rubes and Chester - they just look at me like I'm an idiot when I say that to them.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have quite a few for Roscoe...I'll see how many I can think of:

"knock it off!" Which means stop whatever it is that you are doing right now!

he knows what "go get a drink" means (he plays so hard I'm afraid he's going to pass out LOL)

"go get...(daddy, mommy, Madden, etc..)"

We can give him a soda from the fridge and tell him "so-and-so" is thirsty...and if you've been to the house more than once, he'll take it to whoever you specified!!

We also have this really weird toy that DH bought from petco...its huge and green and looks like a turtle to me but the tag said it was a spider, so we call it "spidurdal". LOL And Roscoe knows exactly what toy we're talking about when we tell him to go get it!

If I say "I can't find my shoes, keys, coat...etc" he can help me find a number of different things around the house. Especially those things that are related to going for a walk! LOL

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

We have quite a few for Roscoe...I'll see how many I can think of:

"knock it off!" Which means stop whatever it is that you are doing right now!

he knows what "go get a drink" means (he plays so hard I'm afraid he's going to pass out LOL)

"go get...(daddy, mommy, Madden, etc..)"

We can give him a soda from the fridge and tell him "so-and-so" is thirsty...and if you've been to the house more than once, he'll take it to whoever you specified!!

We also have this really weird toy that DH bought from petco...its huge and green and looks like a turtle to me but the tag said it was a spider, so we call it "spidurdal". LOL And Roscoe knows exactly what toy we're talking about when we tell him to go get it!

If I say "I can't find my shoes, keys, coat...etc" he can help me find a number of different things around the house. Especially those things that are related to going for a walk! LOL
WOW he sounds amazing!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Oh, and my GSDs used to know `Where's the ball?' and they would run off and find it. Awesome. I don't know how to teach that to Rubes and Chester - they just look at me like I'm an idiot when I say that to them.
My OTB Jethro knew the difference between ball, stick and frisbie. We would throw all 3 out in the yard and ask for one of them and he would be right all the time. Jethro was a big black lovable dog that wasn't all that bright, but he knew his toys and was very loyal to us. Don't know how he picked up the difference, but it must have been cause we repeated the name of the toy every time we threw it for him.

Thought of another one: "thank you" when they bark at something outside. It's my signal for them to shut up.

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peekaboo is the one who gives the commands in our house:

Shrill Bark--Take me outside, I have to pee.
*Looks up adoringly and wags tail*--Pick me up and carry me back inside.
Shrill Whimpering--I can't find mommy! Where is she?
Anxious whimper--Give me some of whatever you're eating.

We're learning more every day!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roscoe sounds amazing!

Peekaboo sounds pretty smart too

Aside from the standard stuff and a few tricks, Beth knows "go get the keys": find my keys and bring them to me

"follow": walk behind me down a steep, narrow, and/or rocky path so we don't trip over each other

"where's your collar?": go find her collar I took off at night because of the jingling tags and bring it to me so I can put it back on before she goes outside

"pick it up" pick up an object I point to, "bring it here", and "give" drop it in my hand.

"find it" : go find whatever object I've recently dropped and lost in the house, out on the lawn, or out on a walk - I direct her to the general area I think I dropped it in so she knows where to start looking.

"go get your toy" : go and get whatever toy you want to play with and we'll play

"enough": basically means to stop doing whatever annoying thing

"are you hungry?" usually gets an enthusiastic response, because it precedes dinner.

Funny - for a retriever mix, she gets tired of playing fetch really quickly, but she would happily go get different things and bring them to me all day long. I made a big deal of teaching "give" and "drop it" when I got her so she wouldn't be possessive of stuff, and it just naturally morphed into her bringing me things.

We need to teach her the 'where's Daddy' or 'where's Mommy' trick - that sounds very useful too.

shalva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kids know the basics
sit,down,heel,finish,with me, off, stay.... all the obedience commands as we do obedience competition....

they also know... spin, figure 8,
they know
get that - where i point to a toy and they get it and bring it to me....

bang - hubby shoots dog with finger... dog spins, falls, rolls over and plays dead

who wants a _______ whenever we say who wants a (whatever) Cuinn raises his paw and holds it up..... this is a real crowd please with our group of five dogs sitting around we say who wants a treat (for example) and up goes cuinns paw.

they also know how to touch, ring a bell...... and bounce (spring up and down like a tigger) and crawl.....

they also know all of their retrieving commands..... get it, go out, find,

thats about it i think.... I am sure there is more but i can't remember it right now.....

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great!

One of my uncles has a dog who has a really neat trick, though I have no idea how he trained him to do it:

When he tells his dog to play dead, the dog falls over on his back, then he says "dead dogs don't breathe!", and the dog will hold his breath! It's amazing.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coco knows:
Go get...(daddy, mommy, Brianna, Natalie, Andrea, & is still kind of shaky or Ryan)
Get the... ball, stick, wiggly giggly, squeaky pluch, squeaky ball, tennis ball, bone, rawhide, Kong
let's play...tug-o-war, fetch, tag
get your tail!
kill the toy(she whips toys arond violently until they are deaf)
Go get Lily!(she goes into a point whereve Lily is sleeping, then I don't have to find her)
Wake up Twitch(since she can't hear, the dogs hears for her)
Something's not right means that there is something strange outside(ie raccoon, squirrel, bunny...)
OK is the release command
sit
down
stay
get to your pen
get to your blanket
get in your crate
go eat

Macey knows
down(very important with her)
bad dog means stop right now of you're in deep doo doo
good dog means good dog
OK is the release command
sit
sometimes she remembers stay
get to your pen
shut your trap means stop barking
enough means stop roughousing
get to your blanket
in the crate
go eat

Both dog's favorite is "wanna go for a truck/car/van ride?" Macey runs to the correct door closest to the vehicle we are going for a ride in & Coco fetches the correct keys for that vehicle. It makes things easy for me. Coco drops the keys by the driver's side door of the vehicle & then waits by "her" door to get in the vehicle. They live for theior truck rides!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really a command but, when I turn off the TV and family room light, Pearl goes into her crate. She knows that I'm going to bed and its time for her to go, too.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine is an 8 year old Yorkie. She knows the standards - sit, stay, down, roll over, show me some belly (rolls onto her back and waits), right here (I point and she sits exactly there), say please (sits for treats), have some (this is her permission to eat the treat), get your toy and speak. All except say please, have some, get your toy and speak can be given as either voice commands or hand signals.

She is also trained to pee (go outside) and potty (go potty) on command. Of course, I can only give the go potty command once a day, but I can ask her to go outside several times and she'll squeeze out a drop every time!
As a Yorkie, she was incredibly hard to housebreak; training her to do her business on command was my last resort, which worked, praise the Lord!

The most important command, I think, is STOP! Jasmine stops exactly where she is the second she hears it.

I am in the process of teaching her to use her indoor voice - I saw the commercial with the Jack Russell and it just cracked me up!