Weird Cat Butt - Discharge?

InsaneCatOwner69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7-8 year old cat (in a five cat household) has what seems to be discharge coming from her anus or urethra, maybe also her vagina? Google has given me no help. I will be making a vet appointment on Monday but my vet is usually booked up for at least a week, my paranoid cat owner self needs to know this isn’t going to harm her long term if I can’t get her in right away. (Photo is sideways, sorry)

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! How is your cat behaving? Any frequent licking or distress when using the litterbox? When did you first notice this? I would wipe her bottom with a warm washcloth and a gentle baking soda or vinegar water (about 1/4 tsp per cup of water) and note how often & how much the discharge reappears. I assume that she is spayed so that's a lot less to have go wrong. Please keep us updated!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember I am NOT a vet so I could be totally off base. If she is not spayed, this could be a problem. Especially if you notice she is acting ill or smells. Will she let you take her temperature? If she has an infection she will probably have a fever. Normal is 100.5-102.5F or 38-39.2 C. When you call the vet, tell them exactly what you are seeing, in detail. Don't just say she has some discharge. Be as specific as possible - describe the color of discharge, consistency (pus like?, cottage cheesy looking? etc), smell if any, and location that it is coming from. I know this sounds gross to do but it is important for them to decided if it is a must be seen now situation or something that can wait. Pyometra, which can happen with unspayed cats, can be life threatening. Don't panic though because it can also be something simple - like urine on the fur if she isn't cleaning herself properly. In the photo is doesn't appear to be pus or mucus so that is good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Possible anal gland secretions? Does it smell like poop only 1000 times worse?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

InsaneCatOwner69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! How is your cat behaving? Any frequent licking or distress when using the litterbox? When did you first notice this? I would wipe her bottom with a warm washcloth and a gentle baking soda or vinegar water (about 1/4 tsp per cup of water) and note how often & how much the discharge reappears. I assume that she is spayed so that's a lot less to have go wrong. Please keep us updated!
Thank you! Yes, she is spayed. I left a message with my vet and I’m awaiti a call back Monday. I’m weary of using baking soda and vinegar without my vets advice but will bring it up. For now I’ve been using cat specific “bath wipes”, she doesn’t seem to be behaving any differently but I haven’t been able to observe her litter box habits yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

InsaneCatOwner69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Remember I am NOT a vet so I could be totally off base. If she is not spayed, this could be a problem. Especially if you notice she is acting ill or smells. Will she let you take her temperature? If she has an infection she will probably have a fever. Normal is 100.5-102.5F or 38-39.2 C. When you call the vet, tell them exactly what you are seeing, in detail. Don't just say she has some discharge. Be as specific as possible - describe the color of discharge, consistency (pus like?, cottage cheesy looking? etc), smell if any, and location that it is coming from. I know this sounds gross to do but it is important for them to decided if it is a must be seen now situation or something that can wait. Pyometra, which can happen with unspayed cats, can be life threatening. Don't panic though because it can also be something simple - like urine on the fur if she isn't cleaning herself properly. In the photo is doesn't appear to be pus or mucus so that is good.
She has been recently spayed, as in at least a month or two ago I can’t exactly remember, so she is fully healed. The “discharge” absolutely wreaks of a mix of ammonia and feces, with the ammonia being the dominant odor.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is anal glads needs expressed and are leaking. Or she has an anal gland infection. You might just need to vet to manually express them. Added fiber to her diet could help her express them better on her own.