Weird Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you thought about calling an exterminator or using a flea bomb?
I realize it was 30 or so years ago when we last had fleas, but neither flea bombs or an exterminator successfully eradicated the fleas. I am a little worried about using either with Feeby, given her age - especially since it didn't seem to work before. I only use Adams Flea spray in rooms when she is not in them and make sure it is dry before she occupies any of them. It's bad enough to have used Adv II on her, but she really needed to get some relief - which it does seem to have helped with.

I wish I could remember the timeline, but all I can recall is we waited it out after treating Tawny with Advantage (it was probably just plain Adv back then - no IGR, I am guessing). From what I have read it can take at least 2 months for the flea stages to mature, emerge, and die - even with various treatments being done. I apparently was a bit more patient and tolerant than I am now!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave Krista a Capstar on Wed per my vet’s recommendation. Yesterday I did another round of laundry including changing out the bedding.

I vacuumed out my car and I have been using an essential oil product in my car since it is a confined space and I don’t want to poison myself. As it was, the first time, I overdid it and had to drive to work with the windows down and the air blowing. I also implemented a front door protocol. Since I’m almost certainly the one who brought the fleas in, I have to be diligent about not reintroducing them. I have a toilet brush and holder at the front door with diatomaceous earth in it. I give myself a brush down especially legs and ankles. Then I have a plastic shoebox that has DE in it with sandals. I take off my socks and shoes and put those in the box and trade them for the sandals. Once I’ve entered inside, I’m free to go wash off all the DE and in fact, it’s probably not a bad idea if I take a shower too.

Finally, and something you and your husband might do, I am now taking a B-vitamin complex because Thiamine supposedly makes the blood repulsive to fleas. I make myself less appealing and maybe they’ll stop coming inside with me.

I have also taken to flea combing Krista as often as she’ll allow it. “Less Dawn in the water next time,” says Krista’s last poop though.

We’re definitely winning but it’s not over yet. I will likely give her another Capstar tomorrow and keep up the cleaning and coming home protocol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still put down a thin layer of DE in Krista’s favorite laying spots since her belly is one spot she won’t let me comb. But mostly the apartment has a lot less DE than before. I’m also picking up almost no flea dirt with my lint roller now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As it was, the first time, I overdid it and had to drive to work with the windows down and the air blowing.
LOL! Funny, but not - I know. However, I can picture this!

I have also taken to flea combing Krista as often as she’ll allow it. “Less Dawn in the water next time,” says Krista’s last poop though.
You really don't have to wet the comb before each swipe. I actually have paper towels that once I comb a location on Feeby, I put the comb in the soapy water, then dry it off on the paper towels. I also do this because of the amount of hair that is in the comb each time. It is much harder to see what is coming off of her if the soapy water is loaded with hair.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
8/25/2019 5pm Day 50 (Day 20 of flea eradication process)

Almost the same as recent previous days. On the coffee table a lot still, but makes frequent trips to her couch/window perch. Has only gone out on her beloved patio once today. She is also eating her new, fresh dry food very well (threw out all the old stuff). She is back to preferring it over her canned - figures.

After her loose stool (and some reddish tinted liquid outside the box, and a little drop of blood) incident [I Don't Know What To Do - 15+yo Cat] yesterday, she seems otherwise OK now.

She's been to the litter box only once today to pee (not uncommon), but I am still waiting on that next stool to ensure her issue yesterday was the same as what she had a couple of weeks ago - a one time deal. At that time she was starting to 'abandon' her dry food and eating mostly only canned - thought her 'bout' might have been related to that.

Now, I am hoping that 4 days straight of RC SO canned food without interchanging it with her other normal canned (out of stock) is/was the problem regarding yesterday. EDIT: she did just have a BM - still loose, but no blood that I can see anyway. One tiny drop of reddish fluid outside the box, but no lingering at the box as yesterday. Poop smelled a whole lot better than when on RC SO (well, as far as poop can smell 'better' - LOL).

My husband is seeing less fleas on his white socks, so here's hoping we are over the hill - or, at least at the top of the hill?? Need to flea comb her today, but she was napping before my EDIT above.

Last edited: