Weird Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UPDATE & QUESTION - No real progress from yesterday. Feeby did come to the living room area to make sure she got a bite of our fish dinner. But, she left pretty quickly and went back to her hiding/sleeping spot.

This morning, she had already left her spot to use the litter box before I got up, but promptly returned - no attempt to go out to the kitchen or patio, that I know of anyway.

Shortly thereafter, she had gotten up on what is becoming her all-day window perch. She will likely remain there until dinner (unless another litter box trip is in order). I put her food/water up on the perch, as I did yesterday.

I didn't notice it the night before, but yesterday evening when she headed back to her night spot, she was moving at a fairly fast pace (but not running) and her body posture was not fully upright, but it was not as low to the ground as the 'belly crawl' (or what I call 'skulking'). I think I have seen this behavior from her on occasion in the past couple of weeks. Anyone have any idea if it has any significance?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When mine do that slink walk they are hiding from someone, to keep from being attacked. It can be someone outside or one of the others, or one of the invisible things that only cats see.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, maybe she is associating the living room area with whatever went wrong with her around the time she slept behind the couch. Once the human food snack was no longer the compelling driver, she slinked away to purportedly get away from that?? Doesn't explain why she hung around longer the previous evening.

As far as having done something similar in the preceding weeks, I guess it could have been a sign of the beginning of her 'troubles'. In looking back, those times seemed to be more related to her licking herself, then kind of acting startled, and then trotting/slinking away.

Things I was kind of taking for granted before that I can no longer afford to do, or over-analyzing, or a bit of both. :gaah:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just fyi:
Check under her tongue if you can, My Patchy had a tumor under her tongue
The vet didn't catch it when I first brought her in.
Brought her in a couple more times when they found it.
She was 19 yrs, She didn't recover from it, wish we would of caught it sooner tho
just so we could have not let it go so long.

I'm sure this is not the case, but just want people to know about this.
and should be something to check!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! So sorry about Patchy. :(

Do you see a correlation between the tumor and what I have posted, or just another thing that you think I should be looking for (e.g.; cancer). Her eating/drinking is fine - how was Patchy's?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just something everyone should be aware of, especially when you don't know why a kitty isn't feeling well, you will know if there is a tumor there.

Her eating drinking was fine until it got really bad and she had some weird saliva.
she was still able to eat tho.

Honestly I'm sure your kitty doesn't have this, I just try to tell people about it.
I had never heard of it before!

I know when they hide, they are saying something!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No weight loss that I know of, all you have to do is open your kitties mouth and look it will be very apparent if that is the case, I'm sure it's pretty rare, just wanted you to look, I hope I didn't scare you!!!
The first sign was a bit of saliva off the side of the mouth, I was clueless as to what it was at first, but I think this is a symptom when it has been there awhile
please don't worry Im sure it's not it, just wanted people to be aware of this!!

Is your kitty drinking water? peeing ok?
I see she is!

Is she purring a lot? Patchy was purring a lot, I did not know Cats purr when in pain!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she purring a lot? Patchy was purring a lot, I did not know Cats purr when in pain!
She does purr, both for self-consolation and for enjoyment. I can't tell the difference in the purr itself, I can tell the difference in what is happening at the moment.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a good point to raise. We learned this when we had to take a cat to the emergency clinic and she was purring when the vet examined her. I remember telling the vet that at least she was purring and he said cats purr from pain and/or nerves, too. She was very, very sick and was likely both hurting and nervous.

As with what W walli mentions about mouth tumors, sadly, it's important to know that purring isn't always a happy thing for a cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As with what W walli mentions about mouth tumors, sadly, it's important to know that purring isn't always a happy thing for a cat.
Hence the reason I said what I said before (see below)!!!! Learned a long time ago about the different aspects of purring!! Good thing for all cat lovers to know.

She does purr, both for self-consolation and for enjoyment. I can't tell the difference in the purr itself, I can tell the difference in what is happening at the moment.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hence the reason I said what I said before (see below)!!!! Learned a long time ago about the different aspects of purring!! Good thing for all cat lovers to know.
You know, it's interesting, I think I read your "self-consolation" differently the first time around: I read it more neutrally then. (I will also confess that I anthropomorphize cats way too much. I'm all too capable of reading a novel narrated by a cat and taking it pretty literally. :D)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, it's interesting, I think I read your "self-consolation" differently the first time around: I read it more neutrally then. (I will also confess that I anthropomorphize cats way too much. I'm all too capable of reading a novel narrated by a cat and taking it pretty literally. :D)
I think when I called it 'self-consolation' I was merely talking about what I know cats do sometimes when they purr. Whether or not that is anthropomorphizing, I am not sure. I am guessing that means to relate a human aspect on non-humans, or a cat in this case. And, I am not sure I know what a human does that is close to that - but, I do know that I have learned through the years that cats purr for various reasons! Alas, not always happy ones.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just fyi:
Check under her tongue if you can, My Patchy had a tumor under her tongue
The vet didn't catch it when I first brought her in.
Now that I think about it, the vet did check her mouth - how extensively I can't be for sure about. But, extensively enough to know that in the very back teeth, especially on one side, she is showing some signs of gingivitis - which she said in a cat at Feeby's age that is not uncommon. So, whether or not checking under her tongue was part of that, I do not know. But, I do now remember she did check her mouth.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another update - 10:30pm 7/16/2019.
Feeby ate most of her dinner on her window perch. She got down for a litter box visit, and went to her hiding spot. She finished her dinner there.
She smelled our dinner being cooked, and kind of loomed around the kitchen, pacing back and forth between there and the living room area.
I then fed her some turkey, and without finishing it, she scampered, Feeby style, to the patio.
We checked on her and she was on a perch out there that she hasn't been on in awhile. Full moon??
She then came and went multiple times to the living room. In between, I found her in the area near her hiding room, but not in it.
Now, she has finally, settled in her hiding room once again. Weird...:dunno:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another weird day/evening. 10:30p. 7/17/2019
Feeby was gone from her hiding spot before 7:30am. In her now efficient manner, she left to use litter box and went straight to her window perch before the drapes were even open.
I opened drapes and put her food/water there. Gave her hairball treat/Glyco Flex around 3ish pm there as well.
She got down right before 6pm, used litter box and came to kitchen for her canned dinner - one of only a couple of times since this whole mess started. I fed her while it was storming out, also unusual, she typically hides.
After she ate she sat in the hallway near her now two consistent hang out rooms but seemed to be keeping an eye on me. She eventually went back to her hiding spot.
My husband came home and took her out on the patio after it quit raining. He brushed her on his lap and she eventually went to one of her patio perches to sit. Another first as of late.
She came in when we were cooking dinner and waited in living room area for us. We fed her some of our food.
After dinner, my husband picked her up and put her on my lap on the recliner. She hasn't been here for two weeks maybe. She stayed but seemed unsettled a bit.
Just a few minutes ago she left me and went back to her hiding spot.
It is all so strange. I know you all can't really follow all of this, but I am just seeing a weird mixture of continued bizarre behavior with a bit of normalcy. Maybe there will be more normalcy and less bizarre as time passes. We are half way thru the antibiotics for what that is worth. :confused2:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make her a meat stock? Some meaty bones in a covered pot or crock pot with water to cover, simmering for 3-4 hours for poultry or 6 hours for beef or pork. I did turkey drumsticks and wings in a crock pot for 6 hours. We're not making bone broth here which is simmered for days which also has high amounts of glutamine and glutamates. These can be difficult for some individuals. Cook until the meat easily slides off the bones. Strain and save the liquid, especially the fats. Reserve the meat too for treats. But you're going to let some of the liquid gold set up like a jell-o (because it's rich in gelatin) in the fridge and freeze the rest. If it it's jiggly golden jell-o, that's good stock. Feed it to Feeby either just like that or mix it in her food. I am still taking it cautiously slow with Krista (as everything else soups her poops.) She gets 1 teaspoon mixed into her food and for the meals I don't stick in the feeder, I put the food and the stock into a baggie and warm them both together in a hot water bath. It comes out a soggy mess but Krista doesn't care. She'll eat the cold jiggly stock.

So what's the deal with meat stock? It will heal and seal her gut if she has any gut issues (or butt issues), it's mineral rich, amino acid rich, it will help strengthen her immune system, and it is rich in natural collagens like gelatin as well as glucosamine and chondroitin. I've been giving this to Krista and unlike every other glucosamine and chondroitin product, this isn't souping her poops. In fact, I think her poops may be getting better as her gut is finally getting some good nutritional loving to heal and seal itself. But even more amazing than that is her angry ear that was getting stuffy and inflamed with food allergies that I couldn't even touch it anymore without setting off a head shake, after just one day of broth, I can scratch it, rub it, and gently tug it like she hasn't enjoyed in months! She's getting around more. While she still moves slow, she's moving more. She's climbing more on the Katris pieces I set up for her (cardboard Tetris pieces that can be linked together to make shapes and steps and paths for my arthritic cat to get to her favorite places. She's jumping a little more. She initiates play and she still loves a good interactive shoelace session. I've only been giving the stock for two days but it's already making such a huge difference with Krista that I cannot help but think other cats could benefit from this too!

If Feeby has an injury to heal, I can't think of anything better than a chicken or turkey stock to give her the raw materials to do so.