Weird Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 - They were not able to get a urine sample at the vets, just the contaminated sample I got from home. So, since the blood has been sent to the lab for analysis and results will not be available until tomorrow, I am assuming the glucose showed up in the urine??

Dealing with a junior vet (last minute appt) I have never dealt with, so maybe I misunderstood her. But, if they can test the blood for glucose before it is sent out to the lab, then maybe it came from that. I would think it was from the urine sample.

mperry29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As you might expect - not much in terms of resolution.

She has lost 1.5 pounds in less than 3 months (from 17.5 to 16.0).

Urinalysis shows only contamination (probably from my technique in trying to capture it), but nothing to indicate a UTI. It also showed a high glucose level - but, supposedly in the levels expected as the result of a vet visit. And yes, she was NOT happy.

Another go at the diabetes, as well as thyroid, aspect in the new blood work done today, which results will be available tomorrow.

So, big answer is pain meds (Gabapentin) just to see if it brings her any relief. The damned assumption now is that she 'hurt' herself somehow and irritated her arthritic issues. I don't think so.

You know what is next - checking for cancer... I can't repeat the words here that I have said to myself since I left the vet office.
Thinking of you as this process unfolds. I am having a behavior issue with my cat as well right now. Wishing you the best

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 - They were not able to get a urine sample at the vets, just the contaminated sample I got from home. So, since the blood has been sent to the lab for analysis and results will not be available until tomorrow, I am assuming the glucose showed up in the urine??

Dealing with a junior vet (last minute appt) I have never dealt with, so maybe I misunderstood her. But, if they can test the blood for glucose before it is sent out to the lab, then maybe it came from that. I would think it was from the urine sample.
I know at least for humans so probably animals as well they do some quick urine testing for UTI’s which also shows whether or not there is glucose present. They could also have done a quick blood sugar test. And stress can increase glucose in blood. Hopefully you will get the results soon and if it turns out to be diabetes it is very manageable .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tried the lowest dose of the Gabapentin the vet suggested. She took it, but then ran away - adrenal does all kinds of things to temporarily ward off immobility issues - and frothed at the mouth. I am sure she got none of it. I feel stupid, because I think I read that would happen with this pain med, yes?

The vet did, as they all do, suggest to put it in her food, but I asked: "if I do that how do I know she is getting it all"? Of course, stupid, dumbfounded look on the junior vet's face is the response I got.

I am now in the boat of so many other weary sick cat owners. I can't do a thing for her.

This isn't just diabetes...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jr vets may be up on all the new stuff, but experience really helps in these matters. It's amazing that some don't seem to have had pets that had any problems. Older vets usually take the difficult cases home as pets.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a treat she likes that you could hide it in, like pill pockets?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jr vets may be up on all the new stuff, but experience really helps in these matters. It's amazing that some don't seem to have had pets that had any problems. Older vets usually take the difficult cases home as pets.
She actually claimed to have taken care of her own 18 yo cat, with arthritis and diabetes. For whatever that is worth...

Does she have a treat she likes that you could hide it in, like pill pockets?
Can't put the Gaba in a pill pocket or 'soak' it into her hard treats. And, she is a PITA when it comes to finishing off the last bit of canned food - she doesn't want to eat. And, that 'tiny bit' is what I would have to give her to get the pain meds down to ensure she would eat it all. I had no idea this would happen, as she has taken/digested all other meds (via syringe), albeit reluctantly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried the lowest dose of the Gabapentin the vet suggested. She took it, but then ran away - adrenal does all kinds of things to temporarily ward off immobility issues - and frothed at the mouth. I am sure she got none of it. I feel stupid, because I think I read that would happen with this pain med, yes?

The vet did, as they all do, suggest to put it in her food, but I asked: "if I do that how do I know she is getting it all"? Of course, stupid, dumbfounded look on the junior vet's face is the response I got.

I am now in the boat of so many other weary sick cat owners. I can't do a thing for her.

This isn't just diabetes...
Sorry, was going to ask whether a pill might be easier but then you posted...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The whole Gabapentin issue is under this thread - Gabapentin Liquid Causes Frothing At The Mouth???.

Bottom line - she has taken it twice in some tuna water and had no issues either time. Hopefully, if I give her more, she will continue to be OK with it.

Additional Update: Most of the blood work came out pretty much the way it did in April - personally, no surprise to me. So, we really did not get anywhere from that aspect. I am glad she is not diabetic, but that was never really my worry to begin with.

The one worrisome thing was the neutrophils and eosinophils were high, and they were normal in April; the lymphocytes were low, but normal in April. The overall WBC was in normal range, but much higher than in April.

Junior vet said this doesn't appear to be an infection so much as an indicator of inflammation or anxiety. Anxiety from vet visit - or as she originally suggested injury of some sort exacerbating her arthritic condition - hence the Gabapentin. And, of course, cancer is out there looming too as a possibility.

I have to go read up again on the above elements to recall what exactly they mean, and how far out of range is considered 'not alarming'. To me, they were alarming from a lay person's perspective:

WBC Range: .5 - 16.0 / April - 5.2 / July - 15.1
Neutrophils Range: 2,500 - 8,500 / April - 3,432 / July - 12,835
Eosinophils Range: 0 - 1,000 / April - 416 / July - 1,510
Lymphocytes Range: 1,200 - 8,000 / April - 1,248 / July - 604

Now, as I suspected, next would be x-rays - which I wanted to do yesterday and junior vet wanted to wait. Another damn vet visit. Well, ain't going to happen real quick at this point.

She is still not moving around much at all, stays in a place between guest bedroom wall and the bed, unless she has to pee/poop (in another room). I am feeding her in her 'chosen spot' just to make sure she is eating/drinking plenty.

Anyone want to chime in??

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they mention the possiblity of IBD? I don't know about the others, but our guys white count was up when he was at his worst (inflammation) and he still wanted to eat, but didn't want to move around much. The vet said it felt like having your stomach tied in a tight knot.
Shoot, I was hoping things were looking better for you all :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nothing about IBD. I really think junior vet thinks it is related to her arthritis because she somehow injured herself - and if not that then probably cancer.

Have a call into my vet to discuss, but no call back yet. Just want to see what he says. I think he will tell me if he doesn't exactly agree with junior vet - after all it is his practice.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wait for his call. Sometimes the younger vets have the most recent treatments and science on their hands but sometimes experience matters.
If you gently massage down either side of her spine from the base of her skull to the base of her tail with your hand, does she flinch, or do her muscles twitch, or does she get upset?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She always flinches a bit when I do that. Yesterday, she squawked at me. I am being gutless today - I haven't tried it yet. :nervous:

Edited: I just did that - no squawk, no flinch, but her usual automatic need to lick while I am doing it. That's has been going on for years now.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think there's a small chance that her back is hurting her badly enough to be the cause? It's probably grappling at a bunch of straws, but it was good enough for Baby Girl...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think there's a small chance that her back is hurting her badly enough to be the cause? It's probably grappling at a bunch of straws, but it was good enough for Baby Girl...
It's her upper spine where the fused vertebrae are and arthritis is in some of her front toes and one elbow, but that doesn't mean she didn't hurt another part of her back. Junior vet said her back legs were tight - I don't take that to mean much with a cat that was very unhappy being poked and prodded, not to mention very anxious. And, no I have not tried pulling on her back legs. Maybe tomorrow.:fear:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading that again about her back legs being tight, I wonder if that's not just a sign that she's in pain somewhere, like where her arthritis is, not something new. I mean when you hurt you get tense and it's best to let a part that isn't hurt be the part you tense up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mean when you hurt you get tense and it's best to let a part that isn't hurt be the part you tense up
True!! Oddly enough, junior vet didn't pull on her front legs? Too close to the mouth, maybe? LOL. I told her Feeby doesn't bite, just loudly protests.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is always a first time for everything and being pushed too far is a good first time for biting.