Weird behavior from cat

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I went to check on my two cats before going to bed, and my cat Felix did something that scared me. He was walking around acting normal, when he started to meow like he was in distress and walk backwards. He is laying down now, and acting normal.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Could it be an sign of a problem like constipation or like a urinary issue (he has had one before). Or could something have scared him (he was over near our door)?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is Felix? If he is old, cats do sometimes get a form of dementia, it affects them most at night. They can suddenly forget there they are and get scared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's three, so hopefully too young for dementia. I did wonder about something like a seizure?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible he heard something outside that startled him. Did his fur all puff up?

Here's a TCS article on seizures, though what happened with Felix sounds different.
Seizures In Cats

Hopefully it was a one time thing that won't reoccur. But of course, as we always say, contact your vet if you think something isn't right.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Walking backwards - as in away from the door? Regardless, it could easily have been something he heard or smelled outside the door that bothered him. Keep an eye out for more incidents like this and if it does happen again, make a note of his surroundings. Since he has had a urinary issue before, the behavior you observed then would likely be similar if he is having another urinary problem.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ran across this thread.

How is Felix doing? Was there any kind of whisker, ear, or head shaking when he backed away?

One time my cat did that (meowed, backed up for several steps), and it was because she had walked into a cobweb! It was stuck in her whiskers, she didn't know what was attacking her, lol, and she backed away... thereby freeing her face from the cobweb.
hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sometimes cats will back up if they run into something that brushes against or sticks in their faces or ears, etc., so it's possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Thanks all for your replies. I did look at a video of a cat having a seizure, and it did not look like that (Felix looked like he was in control of his movements). What it did look like was backing way from the wall of the garage (next to the door from the garage to our house) and meowing/screaming like something hurt him. He hasn't done any thing like that since, so I'm hoping it was a one off (it's possible something scared him as he is a bit of a scaredy cat.