weight loss

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mousy, a black DSH, is 15 1/2. he lost almost 6lbs in the last year. he had a complete senior blood panel done last week, nothing is wrong. he does have a small cyst on the right side on his back behind his shoulder. we're going to have some xrays done. he's hd the cyst for a couple of years now and it is still the same size.

he went from 15 down to 9 lbs. my husband found him in the railroad yard where he works as a tiny kitten, he weight 9 1/2 oz when we got him and i bottle-raised him. he never had a healthproblem til he was 10. he'd stopped eating and had a feeding tube for 3 month. after that he's been fine and as of right now his appetite is good, he eats and drinks, no problem there. he's all of a sudden also more active than in the last couple years, very playful, no signs of pain. he has started to howl a bit more.

but still 6 lbs is a lot of weight for a cat to loose in 1 year.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That IS a lot of weight to lose in one year!  Was he overweight before, or just a large cat?  If he was overweight and is now the correct size, that might explain why is is now more active...our overweight cat is getting more active as he is losing weight. 

Did they check his thyroid too?  I'm not sure if that is part of a complete senior blood panel or not. 

The extra howling could just be that he's starting to lose some of his hearing.  He is getting older.  Gosh...what did the Vet say about this large weight loss?  Anything?  Did you notice his appetite slowing down or a change in his eating habits over the past year?  If I were you, I would keep a very close eye on him and weigh him at least once a month to make sure he doesn't continue to lose.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can I ask what you're feeding? That really is a lot of weight to lose. Glad you had some blood work and a panel done. Since he had a feeding tube already you obviously know the dangers of losing weight too fast. Has his eating patterns changed any? Is he eating less? I also would have the thyroid checked. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thyroid is okay too.one of my other cats is on Royal Canin urinary track dry and wet food. the vet said it won't hurt the others if they ate it too. so that's his dry food and Fancy Feast for wet.

i let them out in the backyard in the daytime when i'm out there but Mousy hardly went outside the last 3 years. he and Sammy, my 7year old didn't get along. i got some Feliway diffusers for the whole house and all of a sudden Mousy is going ourside again, running around etc, really getting active again. but even so that's still a lot of weight to loose.

i got an appointment for monday to have xrays done. considering his age i rather let the cyst be.