Weight loss for cat that can only eat dry

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I am looking for some tips on how to get my cat to loose weight. He is on Royal Canin Ultamino (DRY) and that is the only food he can eat. He is about 14.5 lbs.

Since he is only eating dry food, does anyone have any suggestions?

If I make him walk around or follow him around is that really considered exercise?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it that RC doesn't make a reduced calorie version of this product (they do with some of their other products). That would help if they did. Secondly, do you know for a fact he is overweight? Have you compared him to a chart like the one I have attached below? Sometimes size and shape are a better representative in terms of confirming your cat is truly overweight.

Getting him to move about more is certainly better than not. You can try different toys to see if he is interested in any of them and use those for playtime sessions each day. I think it seems kind of cruel, but some folks will take a cat's bowl and walk it up and down stairs to get the cat to follow - thereby making them more active.

Is he free fed or on a timed schedule? Either way, putting down less food, even if at first it is just 4-5 pieces - that is a good start. You should probably first measure how much he eats in a day so you know where his starting point is with calories. It will help give you a guide on a slow reduction in his food over time, allowing you to keep track of the actual caloric intake while you reduce the food. A slow reduction will also allow him to gradually adapt to a lesser amount of food.

Weighing him at least weekly will help give you an idea if any weight is coming off. You really don't want a cat to lose more than a pound a month.

Attachments