Week2! Some Progress :-)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my little feral has been squatting in our bathroom for 2 weeks now. She has made some progress in socializing. She now "owns" the bathroom and her 3 spots. She feels just a little playful at about 2:00am...so sometimes I go in so she can chase the laser pointer or play with a wand toy for a little while.

She is finally eating really well and accepting tuna as a treat! She even comes out from behind the toilet for a treat...but not too far. At least she will eat them in front of me. She used to wait stubbornly for me to leave before eating it!

I am concerned about her eye though. It is infected. We went to the vet and she will need eye drops. She would NOT accept that. The vet wasn't even able to get near her or touch her. He said it's not too bad and that it can wait until she is willing to accept touching. Except it seems like that is FAR in the future. Poor little thing - I don't want to force it on her. She will never trust me after that but it is hard to see her little eye looking so uncomfortable!

:-(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they can do something for her eye so that she will not lose it. Is it infected or just runny?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope they can do something for her eye so that she will not lose it. Is it infected or just runny?
The vet could not get too close but he saw it was runny and said it was infected but not too badly. If it gets worse I will bring her back and we will have to force it on her. I don't really want to do that because she will never trust us after.

It just looks runny and kind of irritated. She is only a little squinty sometimes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just runny, like feline eye herpes, you could try Lysine treats. They are made by Pet Naturals of Vermont, in the purple bag. I give one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with dinner. If it's infected, I hope the vet can do something soon. Did he say anything about giving her antibiotics?

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good to hear that she's feeling more at home.

As for the eye, keep a close watch. But if she needs to see the vet, better to before it turns worse. She'll forgive you for bringing her to the vet but hopefully she gains more confidence and let you hold her.

Maybe you can get the eye drop from your vet and standby at home just in case she becomes friendly and you can administer the eye drop at home and don't have to bring her to the vet and cause her stress.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks TabbyTom. The vet has a prescription ready for me that I can pick up when ready. I will get a picture of her to post. He said infection but honestly we could not pick her up or get close enough to doing a full exam.

I am wondering if a sedative might be given to be able to put the drops in. It would be less traumatic...???

Maggiedemi - the vet said infection...the eye is runny and the discharge is a little pink. He said it isn't too bad because her eye is open rather than glued shut or anything. He said it's not the #1 priority. For now.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cersei_Eye.jpg Here is a picture....her eye is open but the discharge is pink

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would an oral antibiotic mixed into her food clear the eye? Perhaps ask the vet.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would an oral antibiotic mixed into her food clear the eye? Perhaps ask the vet.
I did...I even asked about a shot of antibiotics. He said that the eye is it's own environment and that the antibiotic needs to go straight there to be effective :-(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking, ask the vet if an antibiotic mixed into her food would work. I can't tell if it's feline herpes or not. Lysine works for my cat's runny, sore eyes.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking, ask the vet if an antibiotic mixed into her food would work. I can't tell if it's feline herpes or not. Lysine works for my cat's runny, sore eyes.
I am going to try the Lysine anyways. It can't hurt and maybe it would help...!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works! It does look similar to what my cat has. It can't hurt to try, it took less than a week for my cat's eyes to clear up. If the vet does have to do the eye drops, maybe he can wear gloves and try to burrito wrap her in a towel.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought her ear was just clipped after spaying... idk though.

The reddish brown discharge is tear staining. When the moisture evaporates from tears the natural bacteria on the face react with the minerals in the tears.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it looks like a feral ear tip, but they didn't do it very straight across.

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it looks like a feral ear tip, but they didn't do it very straight across.
Yes - that is the ear tipping for a TNRM program. The SPCA does a little triangle. They aren't very delicate about it and hers was quite raw. It seems to be healing nicely. I decided to keep and socialize her instead of release. I released her brother and he passed away. Her other brother and mom found a home!!! I don't want her to go back out there alone. Her "home" has been over run with construction so the colony is ruined and I don't know where she would go! So until further notice she will be squatting in my bathroom!!!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see well keep an eye on it that it doesn't start oozing or anything that would indicate an infection.
I need all the help I can get! :-)

Thanks everyone

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, I was concern on that.
Is it possible to give her a mild sedative so I can put drops in her eyes (if it comes to that)? We are not in the stage where I am allowed to even touch her. I can't imagine what it will take to get drops in her eyes...for 7 days!

Hopefully the Jackson Galaxy feral drops will kick in quickly and be effective.