Weed killing tool - Urgent help for Wildlife

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I need advice quickly. I'm worried what could happen to the wildlife if Mom goes through getting a weed killing guy. Someone was telling me there's a tool you hold, run over the weeds and it kills the weeds by pulling completely up by the roots and she found it to be safe around her cats. She can't think of the name of it and Mom is calling guy today unless I find the name of the tool. I'll be very sad if anything happens to the cats because of Mom's calling weed killer man. Please, can anyone tell me what he uses. I do notice the cats every so often eating on the grass because they like the taste. Ugh We have 1/4 acre backyard. Also we have groundhogs and possums that dig and eat out of the yard. Thank you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only tool I could thing of is what I've known as "the claw". When I google it, this company came up..
https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/weeders?showAll=true

Also, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you can use vinegar to kill weeds. Just put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the weeds in the morning. Having the sun beat down on them with the vinegar will make it work better. Some stubborn weeds will perhaps take 2-3 days in a row of application. You would also want to be careful not to spray over on the lawn too much as it could affect the grass too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The only tool I could thing of is what I've known as "the claw". When I google it, this company came up..
https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/weeders?showAll=true

Also, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you can use vinegar to kill weeds. Just put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the weeds in the morning. Having the sun beat down on them with the vinegar will make it work better. Some stubborn weeds will perhaps take 2-3 days in a row of application. You would also want to be careful not to spray over on the lawn too much as it could affect the grass too.
What kind of vinegar won't hurt the cats? Since they either lay in the grass or like to munch on it. Please this is urgent. She's calling today.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plain ol' white vinegar is safe to use around cats. If you want to go above and beyond, you could get organic...
That's why it also recommended for house cleaning...It's safe for everybody.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, you only spray the vinegar on the weed...not all over the lawn.
There are weeds all over though, In the middle of the yard, and by concrete driveway. This is just tragic and I have to do this with a bad back as the cats mean more to me then the pain in my back. But it has to be done by Saturday. She's calling today but if I can get out there a bit today and do something maybe she won't call. I'm crying.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burn them out with a Flaming Dragon! Besides, it's fun. Here's a picture of the label

Coping with Weeds_2018-06_mini-dragon weed torch label.jpg
and one of the device itself

Coping with Weeds_2018-06_mini-dragon weed torch.jpg

You purchase the wand with its nozzle and attach to a small propane cylinder from the hardware store - the size used for soldering. Light it up, play flame over weed from a short distance - just enough to overheat the leaves. You aren't trying to incinerate them. Classed as an organic technique for weed control.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea sadly my Mom won't go for either one. I have to wind up doing it or she calls the toxic weed killing man. Remember it's her property and I have no say even if it brings harm to animal and human because Crazy lady wants it a certain way. :(

I'm thinking the vinegar spray as well as hoe the following day to be the most effective. Regardless of what it does to my back.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the stuff they use nowadays is fairly safe, because if they killed all the neighborhood pets every time they sprayed they wouldn't be very popular ;). So don't worry too much either way. But yes, there are also specific pet safe products, so if she does call the weed guy just let him know there are cats.

For the driveway, there's a special mix of vinegar, epsom salts, and dish soap that really works, but you can only use it in places you definitely don't want anything growing, not in the middle of the lawn. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Here: 3 Ingredient Weed Killer - Great for sidewalk cracks!

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So the epsom salts and dish soap is ok for the cats? Just curious because the cats also lay and roll around on that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get one of the small hand sized weeders, you can sit down, not bend over as with a hoe, and pull them up one clump at a time. It's also not very expensive. Here is one that's on Amazon but almost all hardware stores carry them. Scroll down they have other slightly different ones.

1618851417571.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088K1QNGD/?tag=thecatsite

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 65 years old. Sitting down on the ground is not an option for me sadly. I'd have to squat to do anything or use a long handled hoe. I got the hoe btw so I'll go that route. Thanks all.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the dirt and concrte aren't as friendly as they once were for me, but a nice outside cushion can make all the difference. The trick is to edge forward without trying to get up as you move along. Bones and joints are individual matters. I suggested the hand in the post above and sitting on the ground because there is less bending for your back and you don't have to mess with the weight of the hoe.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
which I understand but I cannot sit down on the floor, the ground anything. I haven't been able to for 20 years because of a severe knee injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen that claw tool advertised on the Internet, and it looks to be very effective, but if you have loads of weeds, it would take a long time to pull them. If your mom doesn't go for this, just keep the cats in the house for ten days.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf there are garden kneeler / seats like this. In this orientation it is something to sit on. If you flip it upside down to kneel on it, then there are the side pieces to push on to help get up.

1618854116290.png