Weaning onto a new cat company

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been attempting to slowly wean our cats away from Ziwipeak Rabbit (which is usually difficult to get) and onto Instinct rabbit cat food instead. So far it has worked like a charm. I started with 3/4 of a dish of the Ziwipeak and left the bottom corner blank for just 1 tablespoon (1/2 can /3oz Instinct) and they went nuts for it. They have become disenchanted the Ziwi for a while now and leaving a lot over (I think they changed the format) and it was heartwarming to watch them enjoy food once again.
My question: Being that they are from different companies am I making a mistake to possibly "mix" the two makers together (1/2 Ziwipeak and 1/2 Instinct) or should I simply just eventually wean to all Instinct?
I think they'll eat it either way and I have so many cans of Ziwipeak left.
Any comments?
Ps. No diarrhea -- (stools are still fine)Thanks for any help.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed a mix of dry, a literal everything in a single container mix. I also vary the wet that I feed. No problems to report and it leaves me flexibility to shop sales when able.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kieka for your comments.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I mix brands of wet food together frequently. One of my boys prefers two brands mixed together as his regular meal. Go figure. Other times I mix two different foods of the same brand together for him. With wet food you don't have to be as careful about switching slowly like you do with dry food. Many people feed a very large variety of wet foods to their cats, different brands, different proteins, different textures with no issues. My other cats doesn't like the same meal twice in one day, so I give him what he wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mrs. GJ:
This was extremely helpful and comforting.
I now will no longer be afraid to mix two different company cans together and eventually when I am finished with the original cans will wean them completely over to the new preferred one.
Thanks again.