Weaning off amitriptyline

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Has anyone's cat experienced any side effects coming off amitriptyline? My cat has been on it for 7 months first prescribed for stress induced cystitis. She is only on 2.5mg daily but I think it is either slightly constipating her or giving her loose stools. She poops daily but has several times a week where the stool is formed except at the end where it's loose and gets in her fur. Not good for our carpet. I called the vet to see if we can try weaning her off and see how she does. We started her on gabapentin a few months ago for fhs and it seems to really help her fhs as well as her jumpiness and anxiety so I'm not as nervous about trying to wean of the amitriptyline. Just curious if anyone experienced side effects coming off or relapse with cystitis for those that were put on it for that reason. The vet tech explained how to wean her off. We will be doing it slowly even though she's on a very low dose.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't weaned one myself, but I've watched it quite a few times. Unfortunately, as with most things concerning meds and living being, there's a HUGE range...a BIG curve, starting with "Meh. We're doing what?' all the way to "OMG, WE'RE DOING WHAT???" and everything in between. Just follow the instructions, and if anything seems too far amiss, call the vet.