Weaning a kitten that will only eat dry

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My almost 6 week old kitten refuses to eat wet food, and I have no clue how to begin the weaning process without it. She has dry food 24/7 that she chows down on in between feedings. Right now, I'm feeding her every 5-6 hours and she's still eating about 1oz per feeding.

Can she go all night (9 hours) without me feeding her since she's eating dry food?

Any tips on getting her to eat wet? I've tried 4 different styles of kitten food (including babycat mousse), with and without formula, cold and warmed, as well as chicken baby food and formula mixed with rice cereal. She smells them and will lick it a little, but won't eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No luck yet. She'll refuse the bottle if it's more than half pureed wet food and still won't touch any mix in a dish or plate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaitie09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No luck yet. At this point, she's mostly eating pureed wet food with a little bit of formula mixed in, but still won't touch it out of a dish or plate. She varies day by day, but will drink anywhere from 3-9 oz per day, and then will eat her dry food the rest of the time.

I've caught her lapping up coffee when I stepped away from my cup once (I make sure she can't reach it now, and luckily it was mostly cream), so I know she doesn't have an issue knowing what to do...