We took the tape off her ears (doberman puppy)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a reminder, since you all say you do not want to get into a debate on cropping and/or docking, don't. As stated, it is not done in the UK and that was why the original question was asked, not to start a debate.

Thank you!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww!!!
What a complete sweetheart
I look forward to seeing more pictures of her, I can't wait to watch her grow up

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing that makes me very skeptical about the real reasons behind docking is the amount of tail faults that came out of the woodwork with several dog breeds after docking was made illegal in the Netherlands.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you all for your honest and candid replies. such is life that we aren't all going to agree all of the time.

enzoleya you have a beautiful puppy there, no matter what and i wish you years of fun and happiness together.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow yeah her paws are humongous, she's gonna mow you right over in future
She's SO adorable

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Here in the US it's completely legal and is done on several breeds. But yes I would have to say it's purely for cosmetic reasons since it's no longer required for show. To be honest I wasn't willing to buy a Doberman pup that wasn't cropped and docked. I've seen Dobermans not cropped, but never not docked. I'm not sure of the reason for that. I do plan on showing her, and in my opinion, even though it's not a show standard, dobes with natural ears and tail are discriminated against because they don't look as elegant and regal.

I'm going to try not to defend my opinion other than to say that they are put under with anesthesia while the vet crops their ears. They are stitched up and within two weeks are totally healed. At least in my case. She hardly notices the tape and the only time she scratched at her ears was when she had dry scabs that I put ointment on.

I couldn't tell you how they did the tail docking or dew claw removal. I'm only familiar with the old fashioned way of doing it, just chopping everything off when they are born. It's done much differently now, and I do know that the vet was the person to dock and remove the dew claws also. That was done when she was three days old and she got stitches. Other than that, I'm clueless. My guess is that they were awake...maybe numbed??

***Disclaimer***
I don't declaw the cats because it is a proven fact that it causes extreme pain, stress, and attitude problems for cats. Cropping and docking doesn't cause an attitude change or lifelong trauma. Making their ears and tail smaller doesn't hinder their day to day living. I know a lot people don't believe in cropping and docking, but I would like my Doberman to look like a Doberman. Call me cruel but a I grew up on a farm and my grandparents ran a kennel when I was young, one of those old fashioned ones, but that's the way it was done back then. Today's practice of cropping and docking is completely humane compared to 20 years ago.
You shouldn't have to defend your decision, and I wouldn't. There is a big difference between docking/cropping and declawing. I know when people ASK if they should declaw then people have the right to give their oppinions and concerns and try to change the posters mind about doing the procedure, but you didn't ask for advice as to whether you should and it is already done and can't be changed, so there isn't any need to try and make you feel bad about your puppy, she is absolutly beautiful and untill it is illegal here then it is your choice.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder (I would adopt one from a shelter or rescue if it was the right dog) with out having the tail cropped. I can live with floppy ears but prefer cropped.
I had a dobbie/shep x and because of the placment of the tail and being a mix I didn't have him docked (he had big errect shep ears) and he was always hitting his tail on every thing and had a few sores on his tail and when he got older had a tumor.

Originally Posted by Nekochan

Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. Docking or cropping removes much of a dog's means of communication with other dogs. A dog with erect cropped ears and a docked tail may look aggressive or dominant to other dogs because the position of the ears is similar to the body language of a dog who is "on guard" or dominant, and the absence of a tail removes that mean of communication which might indicate otherwise. Ear cropping also limits the dogs' ability to communicate with the ears. These limits can result in behavior problems relating to other dogs. The tail is a big communication tool for dogs as well and is also used for balance and swimming. Tail docking can additionally cause chronic pain, problems with the stump, and sometimes neuromas, a painful regrowth of nerves, form at the docking site.

I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking, I just wanted to let you know that these procedures may indeed cause pain or behavior issues, as can declawing. Now, I had a declawed cat in the past (her previous owners had it done) and she had absolutely no problems but as with docking/cropping it CAN cause problems.
Then don't try and argue, whats done is done, she can't change it even if she wanted to any way so no point trying to make some one feel guilty because they did some thing you wouldn't.
I am not sure of acual statistics, but 1 in many dogs have issues with cropping/docking while 1 in many cats don't have issues when they are declawed. There is way more harm in declawing, even if the one you had didn't.

Again enzo, your girl is absolutly stunning and I love her ears, I would crop too, infact I had a boxer and had his cropped (tail was docked when the puppies were 1-3 days old I think) I am looking at boxer rescues and mostly the ones I look at are cropped, I just prefer that look better and as long as it is legal, I would make that choice too!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Docking and cropping can cause issues for dogs. Docking or cropping removes much of a dog's means of communication with other dogs. A dog with erect cropped ears and a docked tail may look aggressive or dominant to other dogs because the position of the ears is similar to the body language of a dog who is "on guard" or dominant, and the absence of a tail removes that mean of communication which might indicate otherwise. Ear cropping also limits the dogs' ability to communicate with the ears. These limits can result in behavior problems relating to other dogs. The tail is a big communication tool for dogs as well and is also used for balance and swimming. Tail docking can additionally cause chronic pain, problems with the stump, and sometimes neuromas, a painful regrowth of nerves, form at the docking site.

I don't want to get in an argument about cropping and docking, I just wanted to let you know that these procedures may indeed cause pain or behavior issues, as can declawing. Now, I had a declawed cat in the past (her previous owners had it done) and she had absolutely no problems but as with docking/cropping it CAN cause problems.
Your argument unfortunatley is very unfounded.

Just because the dog's ears are cropped does not mean it can't flatten them, like any other dog. They can still move their ears. Cropping just sets them upright. German Shepherds, Pharaoh Hounds, Ibizan Hounds all have erect ears and have no problem being social with other dogs.

My next argument. What about breeds born without tails? French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Corgies, Polish Lowlands, English Bull Dog and Australian Shepherds. All of these dogs have no problems expressing body language.

Also dogs don't just use their ears or their tails to express their feelings. Body posture, facial expressions [tightening their lips etc.] are all ways they express themselves through body language.

Ear cropping is only painful to the dog during recovery.

Tail docking CAN have some ill effects, I know a dog that goes after her nubbin' once in a while and they think maybe she's had a regrowth of nerves there. But for the most part tail docking is done when the puppy is tiny so they'll have no recollection of the event and they go on to lead normal lives.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love her big chunky feet! I thpought she was a lot bigger until the picture of her cuddled up with you