Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

We picked up our kitty yesterday from the shelter

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by traveler5, Oct 12, 2008.

1. traveler5

traveler5 Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 8, 2008
    Utah
    I really appreciate all of the great information and advice the last few days from all the good members of this forum.

Yesterday morning my wife and I took our three boys to the local dog and cat shelter and after about 2 hours spending some time with an assortment of kitties, we came home with a very friendly and very pretty tabby cat. He's an orange and white (mostly orange) short hair about 8 months old and has the classic tabby cat "target" and stripes pattern to his coat. I'll post some pictures later. He looks like a tiger. My 16 and 6 year-old want to name him Rusty, my 12 year-old and I want to name him Tiger or Hobbes, after the cartoon books of Calvin and Hobbes, and my wife says it could be any one of the three.

We decided on him because he has a very mild disposition and is a loving cat -- a good fit for our family. Unfortunately, he also has an upper respiratory infection that we're giving him medicine for.

2. mews2much

mews2much TCS Member Top Cat

That is the problem with the pound.
    So many are sick with Uri's.
    I would love to see pics of him.

3. pee-cleaner

pee-cleaner TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 6, 2006
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name "Rusty!" It's perfect!

Congratulations on the addition!

Cally

4. goldenkitty45

goldenkitty45 TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 29, 2005
    SW Minnesota
    I love Red Tabby cats [​IMG] I'd name him Hobbes cause that was one of my fav cartoon (Calvin/Hobbes). Rusty and Tiger are too common for red tabby cats.

My one red tabby/white Rex was named Tom E Hawk (cause he had the color of a red-tailed hawk - red on the back, white on the tummy) [​IMG]

5. xocats

xocats TCS Member Veteran

Mar 26, 2005
    Congratulations on your newest family member. [​IMG]
    I will be looking forward to learning his name and seeing photos of your sweet boy. [​IMG]

Sending along some quick healing vibes for that URI. [​IMG]

6. laureen227

laureen227 Terrific Tuxie Trio Top Cat

Sep 3, 2003
    Arlington TX
    [​IMG] i vote for Hobbes, as well! [​IMG]

[​IMG] here's a link regarding tabby patterns: striped, spotted & ticked cats

7. jellybella

jellybella TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 10, 2007
    UPNY
    Another vote for Hobbes! [​IMG]

Don't worry about the URI, it's pretty common. My two both had horrible kitty colds when I got them. Both are happy and healthy now.

That your little guy feels better soon.

8. addiebee

addiebee TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 30, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG] That is just wonderful! [​IMG] Yay for orange kitties!

He won't care what you name him, as long as you feed him and love him! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Post pics when you get a chance over in the Pictures section!

Glad we could help!

9. jack31

jack31 TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 1, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yay! We love red tabbys at our house! Can't wait to see pictures and hear how he's settling in.

Leslie

10. mrblanche

mrblanche TCS Member Veteran

Jan 28, 2008
    Texas
    Two of our three from the shelter had the URI. But a good portion of all cats on the street have it, too.

Be sure to ask any questions; I know you said you are new to cat ownership, and some things can be puzzling.

Was he already neutered? If not, that would be the first thing on the list!

11. going nova

going nova TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 31, 2008
    Yay! Congratulations! [​IMG] How is he settling in?

Nova had a respiratory infection when I first got her. It cleared right up with the antibiotics we were given.

12. fastnoc

fastnoc TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 10, 2008
    Fantastic news! one less cat to be destroyed and one more family to benefit from the loyalty and companionship of a cat.

13. lilyluvscats

lilyluvscats TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 15, 2007
    Congratulations.[​IMG]

Bru Bru came with an awful URI. We even used Little Noses on him( baby nasal spray)
    One word of caution. When he feels better he may not be as mellow as you think lol

14. althekitty

althekitty TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 20, 2007
    Nottinghamshire, U.K
    Congratulations!!!! [​IMG]

My kitty had a uri, it was a pretty bad one but it brings you closer, and with meds kitty will get better soon! Good luck with your new addition![​IMG]

15. mrblanche

mrblanche TCS Member Veteran

Jan 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am picturing here someone who has no acquaintance with cats, trying to give one a pill.....

16. xocats

xocats TCS Member Veteran

Mar 26, 2005
    Good point....

Below is a link to an excellent site (Cornell University College of Vet Medicine) about Giving Your Cat a Pill or Capsule, with a video and other useful instructions.
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pe...ill_or_capsule

17. traveler5

Oct 8, 2008
    Utah
    I hear you. Actually, it's a liquid medicine that we "inject" into his mouth through a non-needled syringe. We've been pretty good at it so far -- just once a day.

18. traveler5

Oct 8, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you! I'm sure at some point we'll be doing that as well.

19. traveler5

Oct 8, 2008
    Utah
    Yes, he has a pretty good URI. I get the feeling he is feeling a little punk right now but will become a lot more spry when he starts feeling better.

20. addiebee

addiebee TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 30, 2007
    Michigan
    An eight-month-old ginger cat? Uh... yah...... Before you know it, he will be tearing through your house! [​IMG]