We Need Help!

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our rear cement slab porch is where we feed our feral cats every morning and evening. This evening we feed the feral kitties and picking up their dishes as always. About an hour later, my wife called me to come to the back door! There were hundreds of tiny ants gathered together (reminded my of a swarm of bees!) next to our floor mat!!!! What can we do to kill the ants without harming out beautiful feral kitties? The need to go before the find their way into our house too! Doug

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the future, you might buy several sets of dog feeding dishes that come with two dishes mounted on two or three inch stands. That would keep food off the surface of the patio. You might fill one dish with water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tabbytom,,, thanks for your reply. The ants aren't getting in the food, we don't leave the food or the dishes out more then 5 minutes. The dishes are usually brought in and washed pronto. I think I'll need to treat the cracks in the cement patio that run under the door mats. This is the first time we've ever had ants.
Thanks again!

Doug

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom,,, thanks for your reply.
You’re welcomed :thumbsup:

What you need to do is destroy nest. One safe way is but you have to keep your cats away while doing it, pour in boiling hot water into the cracks since it’s outside the house and flood their paths and nest. No toxic chemicals involved :agree:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like there might be food remnants on the mats that are attracting the ants, even if the bowls are removed. We have an outdoor patio on a concrete slab - and the only time we have ever had ants come in to the patio was when we forgot and left a 'snack' for Feeby on the patio. The ants made a bee line to the bowl. We now no longer leave food out there and make sure no food is spilled around where the bowl is and voila! - no ants.

Also, if it is only under the mats, you can treat with something like Ortho Home Defense spray, just underneath where the mats are and re-cover the area with the mats. I use Ortho on the inside perimeter walls on an annual basis - it dries fast and I just make sure I spray the rooms when Feeby is somewhere else in the house. There have been no problems with the ants/bugs or for Feeby.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever I find a nest I pour boiling water into it. You may have to do it several times to get rid of all of them but it does work and wont harm the cats. Obviously dont pour the water when the cats are around:blush: