We lost our baby, Simon, Monday.

alowisney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He passed away Monday after we had taken him to the emergency vet over the weekend and to our regular vet Monday morning.  He was only 3 1/2.  He had a urethral blockage that the emergency vet cleared then he re-blocked.  Our regular vet unblocked him again, but he passed away after that.  We think it was a blood clot or the toxins had built up in his system too much and with his neurological issues, his body just couldn't take it.

He was stricken with distemper (feline panleukopenia) when he was 13 months old and lost his little best friend, Augie, from it and we are still devastated by it.  Augie apparently caught it when he was being neutered at a low cost vet and passed it on to Simon while they played in the week afterward before Augie passed away.  We were on heightened awareness after losing Augie, so we took Simon to our regular vet at the first sign of trouble.  We took care of him at home, nursing him back to health.  We force fed him and gave him subcutaneous fluids until he could eat and drink on his own.  We sat on the floor with him and held him while we sang to him.  We thought for sure he was going to die then, but he pulled through.  Afterward, he had a wobbly walk (his only neurological symptom), but was otherwise his old self.  He came out of isolation two months after he first got sick and we hoped he'd live a long, happy life after that. 

My wife and I are both wrecks, but I'm still having to work.  My workplace won't understand bereavement time for a cat.  

We're going to have him cremated and keep him near us.  We are going to get a custom ceramic urn for him from Etsy.  We're going to do that with each of our kitties and probably get ourselves cremated when we die, then get all of us mixed together and spread somewhere beautiful and peaceful.

It's like we've lost a child.  We can barely function, but we have to keep going for our other babies.  We can tell that they miss him and his absence is palpable in the house.  He was so gregarious and full of life.  He was our little jester, always making us laugh.  He would lay across my chest and sleep while I sat on the couch and it is killing me for him to not be there.  We keep trying to figure out what we did wrong and what we can do to prevent anything like this from happening again.

My latest picture of Simon:

Simon and Augie.  I have to believe that they are playing together again wherever they are.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful boy he was. I'm very sorry for your loss of both Simon and Augie. Their lives were far too short, but at least they were filled with love and fun. RIP, sweeties. :rbheart:

robbie watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The photo of Simon and Augie are absolutely beautiful!!!  What breed was Augie?? Doesn't look like one I am familiar with.  They are happily waiting for you to join them across the Rainbow Bridge, no longer sick, God love them both.

I know it's been hard for you, especially to lose two.  I was forced to give away my Fancy Kitten, as I already had Max my Tabby, and I miss her still.  She is gray in color but long haired, bushy tail.  Has some Tabby stripes but not too much.  Yellow eyes, not blue. But my "Baby". Where I live we are only allowed 1 pet, but this neighbor girl brought Fancy to me as a gift for my Birthday.  Even though I knew the 1 pet thing, I was somehow hoping they would make an

exception for Fancy.  She ate with Max, slept with Max, and played with Max. Gave me a good many chuckles, too!  But they wouldn't make the exception, even though the dog fanciers here have two or three, also breaking their "rule", but they do nothing.

I will say a prayer for you in your losses.  Give it some time. The Pain will end, replaced by sweet memories. Wait for it. Thinking of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alowisney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found Augie while doing a photo shoot.  We were at a park and kept hearing a sound like a bird off in the distance.  We kept taking pictures and finally he worked up the courage to come out of the bushes he was hiding in and approached us.  He was starving and dehydrated so I cut the bottom off of a water bottle and let him drink all the water he wanted and we got him some food.  From the moment we set eyes on him, we knew we were going to take him home.  

It was so crazy how we brought him into the house and kept him separated for a bit just to get him used to being in the house, but when we introduced him to the rest of our cats, he was like an old friend.  The boys all played with him and the girls didn't mind him.  They had all hissed and growled at any other new addition.  He and Simon (who came from a feral in our colony) hit it off immediately.  They were inseparable.  They played together until they passed out and then they slept together.  It was the sweetest little bromance I've ever seen.

Simon was so sick and was so mournful about Augie.  It broke our hearts while we nursed him back to health.  Simon has spent the past two years clinging to us and being close friends with another of our cats, Ozzy.  Ozzy is looking for Simon all over the house now and it's ripping our hearts out.

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for the loss of your baby Simon. You did everything you could. I'm sure Simon and Augie are playing together at the Rainbow Bridge.  Here's a brief explanation of the Rainbow Bridge courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The story tells of a green meadow located "this side of Heaven" (i.e., before one enters into it). Rainbow Bridge is the name of both the meadow and an adjoining bridge connecting it to Heaven.

According to the story, when a pet dies, it goes to the meadow, having been restored to perfect health and free of any injuries. The pet runs and plays all day with the others, there is always fresh food and water, and the sun is always shining. However, it is said that while the pet is at peace and happy, they miss their owner who had to be left behind on Earth.

When their owner dies, they come across the Rainbow Bridge. It is at that moment that their pet stops what they are doing and sniffs at the air and looks into the distance where they see their beloved owner. Excited, they run as fast as they can until they are in their owner's arms, licking their face in joy while their owner looks into the eyes of their pet who was absent on Earth, but never absent in their heart. Then side by side, they cross the Rainbow Bridge together into Heaven, never again to be separated."

You can find the Rainbow Bridge website online and there is a regular candle lighting ceremony to honor lost fur babies. You can also buy a pet memorial page, if you want.

I'm not affiliated with the Rainbow Bridge organization in any way, but I thought this might help.

When I lost both my cats Andy and Tails I lit candles for them at Gratefulness.org.

Please accept my condolences.

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The photo of Simon and Augie are absolutely beautiful!!!  What breed was Augie?? Doesn't look like one I am familiar with.  They are happily waiting for you to join them across the Rainbow Bridge, no longer sick, God love them both.

I know it's been hard for you, especially to lose two.  I was forced to give away my Fancy Kitten, as I already had Max my Tabby, and I miss her still.  She is gray in color but long haired, bushy tail.  Has some Tabby stripes but not too much.  Yellow eyes, not blue. But my "Baby". Where I live we are only allowed 1 pet, but this neighbor girl brought Fancy to me as a gift for my Birthday.  Even though I knew the 1 pet thing, I was somehow hoping they would make an

exception for Fancy.  She ate with Max, slept with Max, and played with Max. Gave me a good many chuckles, too!  But they wouldn't make the exception, even though the dog fanciers here have two or three, also breaking their "rule", but they do nothing.

I will say a prayer for you in your losses.  Give it some time. The Pain will end, replaced by sweet memories. Wait for it. Thinking of you.
Augie looks to be a silver tabby probably. A very unusual but lovely color.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your kitties. Especially Simon, May he rest in peace and run free with my kitty, who passed from the same condition. I've been feeding canned exclusively ever since his passing, 3 weeks ago, because I read a study done by Dr. Becker that dry food was linked to increased risk of Blockages and FLUTD. I'm hoping I'll not lose a cat the way I lost him. Cat Info is another site written by Dr. Pierson regarding dry food and it being a improper diet for cats. 

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So sorry to hear about your kitties. Especially Simon, May he rest in peace and run free with my kitty, who passed from the same condition. I've been feeding canned exclusively ever since his passing, 3 weeks ago, because I read a study done by Dr. Becker that dry food was linked to increased risk of Blockages and FLUTD. I'm hoping I'll not lose a cat the way I lost him. Cat Info is another site written by Dr. Pierson regarding dry food and it being a improper diet for cats. 
There are trade-offs between dry food and soft food. Dry food can increase the chances of causing FLUTD, but you can purchase dry food that is designed to be low in ash and other components that help increase the chances for FLUTD. Canned food may contain too much protein and is hard on kidneys too.

I usually fed my cats dry food with an occasional soft cat food treat. BTW I fed them the Purina Urinary Tract Forumula and most of my cats have lived to their middle teens while eating this diet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Condolences on losing Simon. You did all you possibly could and he was blessed to have a family who gave so much love and medical care. He left this realm knowing the joys of being loved by a wonderful family, and I am sure that you are right - he is playing happilywith little Auggie

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Simon and Augie were beautiful boys. I am sorry for the heartache you are going through.Please don't beat yourself up. I doubt you did anything wrong. Life can be so cruel sometimes. My thoughts are with you and your wife.

castle cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your writing about your loss of your beloved Simon and the photographs made me sorrowful and filled my eyes with tears. The absence of pets in the home makes one sad and mournful. My sympathies are with you.

“My workplace won't understand bereavement time for a cat.”

It is absolutely true. I have experienced the same when my beloved Jethro took leave from me. My colleagues do not understand my tears and sorrow. They have no idea how a pet, especially a cat or cats bring joy and happiness to the “owner”.

My Jethro found me in 2005. He led a hellish life before he found me. He slept in the basements, under the tress, in the bushes, on the stone steps in minus 20. He was unwanted and uncared for. When I relocated to a small flat near his place, he greeted me with his musical meow! For the first time I served very cheap cat food on the sewage cover. I was shocked seeing him finishing it off that 100gram food in a matter of minutes. The very next day he had the best food, warm bed, free to go and come, regular medical check-ups etc. Within a month he became my master and I willingly became his humble servant. It was he who taught me how to be patience. He brought me joy and happiness in my life. He made sure that there was no room for others in my heart. I still ask him (even after his departure) for his forgiveness for serving food on the gutter.

“[We] get ourselves cremated when we die, then get all of us mixed together and spread somewhere beautiful and peaceful.”

It is also my wish. I have written about my desire on a small card and carry it always in my wallet requesting the authorities to carry out my wish. Also I wrote the same on a paper and left it on my desk.  

I weep silently for my Jethro and for other pets published in this thread.

R.I.P Simon   

Castle Cat (Late Jethro's servant)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your place of business doesn't allow bereavement time, the depth of your sorrow and pain for a beloved pet can sometimes be deeper then that of a human, just because they are so accepting of us with all our faults and give us the ultimate in love and devotion. Allow yourself to grieve, it is the first step towards healing, try to surround yourself with people who understand what you are going through, such as all of the caring people on this site. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, I'll cry for your loss, and I'll look fro the new shining star in the heavens that is your Simon, right next to his beloved Augie. I'm so very sorry for the huge loss to your family, my heart goes out to you. RIP sweet Simon, I pray that you and Augie can give your family comfort through their memories, until you meet again!

Last edited:

goddessii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

He passed away Monday after we had taken him to the emergency vet over the weekend and to our regular vet Monday morning.  He was only 3 1/2.  He had a urethral blockage that the emergency vet cleared then he re-blocked.  Our regular vet unblocked him again, but he passed away after that.  We think it was a blood clot or the toxins had built up in his system too much and with his neurological issues, his body just couldn't take it.

He was stricken with distemper (feline panleukopenia) when he was 13 months old and lost his little best friend, Augie, from it and we are still devastated by it.  Augie apparently caught it when he was being neutered at a low cost vet and passed it on to Simon while they played in the week afterward before Augie passed away.  We were on heightened awareness after losing Augie, so we took Simon to our regular vet at the first sign of trouble.  We took care of him at home, nursing him back to health.  We force fed him and gave him subcutaneous fluids until he could eat and drink on his own.  We sat on the floor with him and held him while we sang to him.  We thought for sure he was going to die then, but he pulled through.  Afterward, he had a wobbly walk (his only neurological symptom), but was otherwise his old self.  He came out of isolation two months after he first got sick and we hoped he'd live a long, happy life after that. 

My wife and I are both wrecks, but I'm still having to work.  My workplace won't understand bereavement time for a cat.  

We're going to have him cremated and keep him near us.  We are going to get a custom ceramic urn for him from Etsy.  We're going to do that with each of our kitties and probably get ourselves cremated when we die, then get all of us mixed together and spread somewhere beautiful and peaceful.

It's like we've lost a child.  We can barely function, but we have to keep going for our other babies.  We can tell that they miss him and his absence is palpable in the house.  He was so gregarious and full of life.  He was our little jester, always making us laugh.  He would lay across my chest and sleep while I sat on the couch and it is killing me for him to not be there.  We keep trying to figure out what we did wrong and what we can do to prevent anything like this from happening again.

My latest picture of Simon:

Simon and Augie.  I have to believe that they are playing together again wherever they are.

goddessii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for your loss ... I know how hard the lost of a pet can be it has taken me 24 year before getting another .... I'll pray for u and ur family

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of both beautiful kitties.  A lot of people do not understand the depth of love we have for our kitties but the people on this site do. They are our children, friends & soul mates.   It is a shame they had to leave so young!  I took most of our last three weeks together off & went back two days after my Rizzo was put to sleep.  I asked for a leave of absence & the management kind of hesitated because it was not a person.  Odd, when I work at a humane society.  I had decided that I would not leave him & was sorry I did on that last Saturday as he was in pain when I got home.  Keep in mind that I only work 11 hours per week so being fired would not have been the end of the world.  People sent me a card but I asked that no one talk about it to me.

Light a candle after dark with your wife & sit & talk to him.  I am sure they hear us.  Just think of you babies waiting for you on the other side.  That's where my Rizzo is & know he will be there when I come. 

I have been looking for just the right urn for him as well so I will look on Etsy as well. 

RIP Augie & Simon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alowisney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers. Yesterday we took him to be cremated and should have him back next week. This is the first time we've had a pet cremated, so we had no idea what to expect. Luckily, the lady we delt with at the mortuary was extremely nice and treated us with care and respect.

mdaisy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town so the cremains are shipped back to our vet where they are picked up. When Tails' cremains arrived, the vet called and I went down to pick up his cremains. Tails cremains were in a nice wooden box, with his name inscribed on top, and the box was wrapped in blue velvet. I also received a nice card stating the cremains I received were Tails.

It was a little different for our cat Andy who was put down by the ER vet located about a 100 miles away.  We had to drive down to pick up Andy's cremains and bring them home. Andy's cremains arrived in a nicer box wrapped in lavender netting. There was a card enclosed too.

I now have both boxes sitting on my fireplace mantle with their cards and some flowers.

Hope this helps.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. Rip boy. He looks like mine in that second pic. Such beautiful cats. It hurts to lose out babies.

Peace to you god bless you.