We have a visitor!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys will not believe how well Elliot has been doing during the last couple of days!

First of all, he's using his box. I saw him use it. He covered it, too.
The smell is going away, now. You can smell it a little in his room but that's where his box is so you would expect that. Once we start putting regular litter in and cleaning it regularly, I'm sure that will resolve.

He's been eating well... Like a horse! I try to tell him that he doesn't have to eat so fast, anymore.
That's another thing that will probably go away on its own as he gets more settled

He doesn't run and hide when we come into the room. He doesn't run to his hiding spot. He just sort of goes in that direction until he knows who's coming. After that, he let me pet him and, Wow! He really likes to lean into it! He's a strong cat, too!

Last night, I came up to see him, Elliot was on the window sill. He meowed at me and I petted him some more.
I sat down in a chair, next to the window. A minute later Elliot was on my lap! He laid down, I petted him and he purred.
He stayed there for a good fifteen minutes, maybe a half-hour. He made biscuits on my stomach and he "Murr-purred!"
I gave him some catnip and he even rassled with me for a minute or two.

He's a very talkative cat, too! Any time you talk to him, he meows back.

Since I was able to pet him for so long, I had a chance to give him a bit of a "going over," so to speak.
He's got lots of little scabs and scars around his neck and ears. You can't feel them unless you dig down a little bit.
The tips of his ears are a little bit ragged, as well. This guy's been in his fair share of fights!

His paw pads are pretty hard and calloused. His fur is super dense and it's got a "greasy" feel to it.
It's what I might expect from a cat that's been outdoors for so long.

I'm about as certain as I can be that Elliot didn't have a home. Cats with homes don't usually get this ragged. I've seen barn cats that don't get as scuffed up as him. I don't think that anybody's going to try to claim Elliot. Besides, I've got a signed certificate certifying that he's been vaccinated against rabies and the vet bill that shows he's been chipped and neutered. If anybody tries to complain, I can take it to the District Magistrate. If I plop those two pieces of paper down on his desk, it'll be a slam dunk. Oh, but I'm just worrying about unimportant stuff, I guess. What's important is that Elliot has a home, now, and he doesn't have to worry about where his next meal is coming from.

Now, it's time to start thinking about when to let Elliot out of his room and introduce him to Casper. They are already friends but Elliot hasn't stayed inside until now. Only visits. I don't think there will be too many problems.

I'm still considering whether to let Elliot be an indoor/outdoor cat or to be all indoors. I'm thinking that we'll let him be indoor/outdoor for the summer then, when the weather gets cold again, keep him inside full-time. Still deciding...

What's important is that Elliot has a home and is getting fed regular meals. Right? :)

I think I'll start another message thread for the other issues because the title of this thread is "We have a visitor!" but Elliot isn't just a visitor, anymore. Is he? ;)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been eating well... Like a horse! I try to tell him that he doesn't have to eat so fast, anymore.
That's another thing that will probably go away on its own as he gets more settled
I'm glad to hear he is doing so well!

I noticed the above sentence in your post, and have personal experience with a similar situation.

The fast eating may never stop. My cat Willy, who I took in from outside, was always a scarfer. Slowed down a bit later in life, but for most of his life, he ate so fast he would vomit.

I've heard some other stories about other outdoor rescues who had similar eating habits. I have a theory that fast eating is more common among outdoor rescues.

There are plenty of methods to control the rate of eating, if he turns out to start vomiting after eating too fast.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hasn’t barfed yet. I would expect a cat that doesn’t know when his next meal is coming would behave like this.

He’ll eat a whole can of cat tuna in one go if we let him!

He’s young, though. The vet says he’s about twelve months old. I’m hoping that, as he learns that he doesn’t have to worry about food, he’ll slow down.

Casper had similar behavior when we first got him but, now, he’s a grazer. As long as he knows that there is food whenever he’s hungry, he’s a slow eater. He only scarfs his food when he thinks his bowl is getting too empty.

Once we let Elliot out and introduce him to Casper, I expect Casper will teach him the ropes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since he was outside before, you may have a ton of luck leash training. Magnus was so desperate to get outside, that he happily put on a "vest" (harness) and leash to go. Now he knows not to be out without it and he's a very good cat on it.

Supervised outdoor times will be safer, especially if he's used to roaming, he's at risk for not returning.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliott is home!

He’s all fixed up. Vet says he was really good.
He got fixed, chipped, his ear cleaned up. De-flead. Got his shots.

We got a dog crate for him and he’ll stay inside for the next few days

Short for time…. More later!
~ Congratulations !! 🎊 :)
I think Elliot is an abandoned pet — likely a few years old. Now he will be a spoiled cat ... :winkcat:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We thought he was older, too.

After we took Elliot to get his shots and be neutered, his rabies certificate says he’s 12 months.

He first came to our back porch last September and has been visiting, almost daily, all winter long. That’s seven or eight months, depending on how you count. That must mean he was four to six months when we first saw him.

Given how quickly he has acclimated, so far, he must have known some humans but we don’t know for sure.

Elliot is a “tiger cat.” (Brown/black tabby.). There are a couple of tiger cats in the neighborhood. One is a female who comes to our door for treats. (She’s a real “Cookie Monster!”)

Given that tiger cats are fairly common (around here, at least) and there is at least one female tiger cat on the loose, it’s possible that Elliot was born outdoors and has been going from house to house for food. That might explain why he’s semi-acclimated to humans and going near homes.

I don’t know, for sure. Mostly just guessing. We’ll probably never really know, for sure.