We have a kitty that seems sick every 2-3 weeks for a week at a time.

sparkle801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We thought he may have been getting into something outside or eating something he shouldn't, but we kept him in after the last bout and he still got sick. The first time it happened we took him to the vet and he had a high temp and the vet thought a cat fight. After that, he started the getting sick every few weeks. The first time we took him back and the vet could find nothing wrong with him. Has anyone else had this happen or have any thoughts about what it might be? Against my will, they gave him a rabies shot the first time when he had a high temp. Probably means nothing but thought I'd mention it. So far this time it's been a week and he just lies around all day. Still eats some, but not his normal amt. Appreciate any suggestions.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What exactly are your cat's symptoms? "Sick" is too vague. How old is your cat?

If you're in the US, rabies vaccinations are required by law in most states. There are few exceptions. Many vets will not see pets who do not have a current rabies vaccination. If your cat never had one or was overdue for one, the vet may have given one but should have informed you and listened to any objections to the vaccine .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to the questions above, has this kitty been tested/vaccinated for FIV/FeLV? How about the vet considering Feline herpes, which can have symptoms like a fever, as well as other issues? Feline herpes can have flare ups which come and go on their own.

Please provide more information so that the members on this site can suggest things accordingly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkle801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. In addition to the questions above, has this kitty been tested/vaccinated for FIV/FeLV? How about the vet considering Feline herpes, which can have symptoms like a fever, as well as other issues? Feline herpes can have flare ups which come and go on their own.

Please provide more information so that the members on this site can suggest things accordingly.
Hi again....thank you and LTS3 for responding. By "sick", I mean he is lethargic and just lying around not wanting to be touched, not interested much in eating, growling. Just not normal. Normally he wants to be around people. They first time I took him to the vet, as I explained before, he had a fever and the vet thought it was due to a cat fight injury although no injury was found. ( I did not want him to give him a rabies shot when he was so sick....why give his little body more to fight?) He is around 9 years old. He was on two rounds of antibiotics as after the first one he was sick again after about a week off of them. After the second round he seemed ok for about a month after which he was back to hiding and growling and wanting to be left alone so I took him back to the vet who could find nothing wrong with him. I started him on Colloidal Silver and CBD oil and he seemed normal after a couple days. This continues to happen every month. It's been a week now he has been not well. I started him on the silver and CBD yesterday morning and he seems more "with it" today so far. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to one of their kitties. What does herpes look like in a cat? I had not heard of them getting it. We had blood work done the first visit with no abnormalities that would be causing this. I would think the Vet would have tested for whatever he thought would be the problem....? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat were to have herpes, it would seem to be fairly mild in terms of flare ups, so that may not be it at all. I have included a couple of links at the end of this post that discuss feline herpes, and you will see it is more common than you might think. You will also see that being vaccinated for herpes (FVR) helps, it won't necessarily prevent a cat from contracting the virus. This is even more so possible if your cat has not had routine boosters.

In many states, rabies shots can be waived by a vet once a cat gets so old, but no vet would probably ever agree if your cat is allowed outdoors. So, while your vet should have told you your cat was due for a rabies shot, he was likely following the law.

Nonetheless, it doesn't seem this vet is a good fit for you and your cat. Having a vet tell you that your cat had a fever as a result of a cat fight with no visible signs of a fight seems a bit odd - at least without further explanation. I really think you should be seeing another vet for a second opinion - one that is from an entirely different practice to avoid colleague bias. You can get a copy of all your cat's records from the current vet to share with a new vet, to help with reducing redundant testing and costs. Get vet recommendations from family/friends/neighbors/co-workers, if you need to.

Btw, what is your cat's name? And, when he gets to feeling better, you can take a pic of him to share with us!
Cat Herpes: FVR and FHV-1 Symptoms and Treatments (webmd.com)
Herpesvirus Infection in Cats (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis) | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)