We FINALLY moved into our new home!! (HEAPS of pictures LOL)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Move day was Tuesday November 4. Gary had been having so many fevers and has been so sick, it was really difficult. I went back-and-forth between the RV and the house twice a day to care for the ferals. I took stuff from the RV with me on many of the drives over, but I really couldn't stay to do things, as I couldn't leave Gary alone for long. He finally caved, and let me wash the RV without him. Got air pumped into the tires, got her ready to travel, and he drove her over here. And she is parked across the street from us. The topography of the road (not flat, has a hump in the middle) and the bottom of the driveway (has a dip in it) were such that the RV is either a foot too long, or needs to be about four inches higher off the wheel base. The ball of the hitch dug into the pavement. Gary had to use the jacks to get that unstuck, and I used a crow bar to hammer it out. Our neighbor Gary came over to help. We tried numerous things - different angles, different direction - to no avail. So I went to meet our across-the-street neighbor, and asked if she minded if we parked the RV on the little stretch off the road across from our property (she can't see it from her home). She was so very sweet, and said of course we could. We do not plan on leaving it there. We've contacted a towing company that handles big rigs. They'll place boards with supports across the road and the bottom of the driveway, and if Gary can't just drive up, they'll use a lift and winch for those 10 or 15 feet we need to be able to drive her up here.

Gary is majorly bummed about this situation. BUT... I think it is a small payment for what is turning out to be a heck of a home.

First of all, the cats LOVE it. I mean we are blown away by this. Lazlo was never happy in a house, and we were very worried about him. He was scared at first, he hid under the cedar chest (which is exactly where he hid when we first moved from the RV into a house. :lol3: ). But by day two? Out and about, running, playing - playing like he did as a kitten. In fact, playing in a way he didn't even play as a kitten! I think we were having meals in the kitchen with all of the cats by dinner of day two? :eek: BLOWN AWAY.

One of the things that turned up in storage was a turboscratcher. Looked new - it basically was. We got them one the first time we moved into a house in 2004. No one ever used it. Now they're all playing with it. :lol3:

Billy, Pawley and Chumley are the only cats that had never lived in a house. And even THEY got out and investigated the next day! :thud:

Chum was the most nervous about this - and he got sick. (He's our FIV+ boy). He developed a URI. He got antibiotics, and the bacterial infection has been knocked out, but he's still contending with the viral aspect of it. Vet says it could take some time. :heart2:

The house. First of all, for those that didn't see my other thread, this home was built in 1974 by a Danish merchant marine, also a woodworker. There are beams that are just for decoration in the living room and kitchen. The beams are off a ship, and the whole house has a ship theme to it (and all the art work when they lived here was nautical). The beams have handmade nails in them, many have the stuff with whatever function they had. And..... the door frames with these beams make GREAT scratching posts! Who knew? We bought a home with built-in scratching posts!!!!!!

You can see the hand hewn axe marks - so cool!

The nautical touches:

(The fireplace has a thick piece of board insulation over it as it doesn't have doors on it yet. We don't want the cats up in it).

I noticed the little holes in the architectural beams - woodworm. I called the inspector (who also has his own business as an exterminator!). I wanted to make sure these were historic holes, not active infestation, LOL, as it was not mentioned in the report or discussed while we were here and he was inspecting. Yeah - 100+ year old woodworm holes. *PHEW*

And I LOVE the light fixtures. Again - all nautical!

(And yes - the windows are AWESOME. These in the kitchen / dining area are 8 feet long. The living room is 9 feet long. Master bedroom window is 8 feet long, and the other two bedrooms have 7 foot long windows. The views are spectacular. :D ).

And? We LOVE this. The light that stays on all the time, in remembrance of those that have passed from this life. It is a Scandinavian tradition (according to my SIL, whose family roots are Swedish). It's hard wired: no switch. It's hardwired into the security system, so if the power goes off, it runs on battery. How lovely is that?

This is what it looks like with the flash on

And, of course, the front hall entry light matches it

And the mirrors we traded for the cost of the well inspection ($200).

In the entrance hallway:

We also got the firewood box:

(Context. In that picture, the front door is behind me. Front hall. Living room is immediately to the left. Doors ahead lead into the kitchen, and the kitchen/dining area are parallel the living room. At end of the entrance hallway to the right is the hallway off of which are the bedrooms and main bath (and linen closets. There is so much closet space!!!! ).

Mirror in one of the bedrooms:

Finally (sorry, :lol3: ), a picture from the back of the property, up the hill, looking down on the back of the house. The tent is where the ferals are housed.

Carolina suggested I use her feeding box idea with the feral cats. Get them chipped, use the pet door that can be programmed to the chips, and install it so the feral cats have access to the basement. We are doing this. The chips have been ordered, they'll be here Tuesday or Wednesday. The vet is coming a week from tomorrow to inject them into the kitties.

The cats are doing great. A little antsy, but they'll just have to wait. Caged, we can chip them. Whether or not they end up using the basement... :dk: But at least it will be an option. They can help keep it mouse-free. ;)

But they are all VERY, very good. Happy, even! I let them out individually to explore the tent, stretch, get pets and get picked up if they want that. The only one I don't let out is Bean, because I can't handle him. I think they get what's going on, and they're just ... such good kitties! :rub: Lots of purring going on, I'm SO very happy to say!

I won a heated cedar house, and someone gifted us two feral villas. !!!!!!!!!!! So those are on the way and will be set up for them.

I've given them catnip toys several times. They've rubbed and slobbered all over them. We'll scatter those about the property. Same with some of each of their pee and poop. I'll give them drops of rescue remedy - not in their food, but just on the cage floor - for two or so days before we release them. And then I'll go put drops of rescue remedy out around the property. We're focusing very heavily on scent.

When we release them, it'll be at the dinner time meal. I'll put their food out - and leave the cage doors open. They can stay or go explore. And hopefully they'll all be there in the morning for breakfast!

So not sure when this is happening yet. Perhaps a week from this weekend. Shelters we make should all be in place. Their feeding stations will be out. We really want the RV up here before we let them out (so the noise of heavy equipment is over and done with).

And I think we're going to leave the tent up for the winter. We will use board insulation in the cages - they can use them as shelter, if they like. We'll just leave the tent doors and cage doors open. It's a pretty flimsy tent, but if we knock the snow off... :cross: At least it blocks wind.

I hope they all stay. Dottie is coming in, so it's just Baloo, Smokey, Froggie, Khol, Bean and Treebie. :heart2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you got moved and the house looks great.  Smokey looks so content and seeking attention now but he sure was leery of going in the carrier to be moved.  Both of my indoor kitties hate the carrier too though.  Of course the carrier for them always means their least favorite place, the vet.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
House looks great! I can see why you fell in love with it.

I hope your plans for the feral kitties goes well and that they don't wander off looking for their old hang outs.

Did you manage to get all of the feral kitties brought over?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous place ! Both inside & outside, for you, Gary and the furkids. I'm happy for you :)

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fabulous ... and you are so close to having everything attached to the move done, and a well-deserved rest.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie the house looks amazing! I love the remembrance lamp and its mate in the entry. They're both gorgeous! 

Are you sure you want to release the ferals at dinner time? If you released them in the morning you could go out several times during the day to remind them that you are still around. I expect it really wouldn't matter though. By now they know that is their new home and where the food is.

I'm sorry the RV is being so difficult. In the long term the drive and be modified to accommodate it can't it? (Edit: I just re-read your post. The road would have to be modified also wouldn't it? You probably shouldn't do that. 
)

I'm so glad you and the kitties are enjoying your new home. I hope everything settles down soon so you can relax and *really* enjoy it.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the house and I wish you both the best of luck in your new home.  Thanks for sharing the pics, enjoyed them.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely lovely and ridiculously charming! 
  I'm so glad to hear the indoor kitties are enjoying the new space.

So sorry about the RV. Gosh, what a pain. Lots of vibes for Gary and Chumley... 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous place! The whole feel gives it so much character. I'm glad to hear things went relatively smoothly. Soon you'll be able to really settle in and relax!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeously rustic! You are so lucky--and deserving! So glad to hear that the gang is having no trouble settling in. Do hope you were able to get everyone.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only feral I originally wanted to bring over that we didn't bring was Peanutbutter. I was never sure whether or not she should come, she was never a part of the colony. It's possible she came around and I wasn't aware of her, but to my knowledge, she would wait at the edge of the woods and meow to let me know she was there when she wanted food, and I'd put it out for her. She'd be around for several weeks - I really don't remember her being around more than that at any given time. And then she'd disappear for a few weeks or months. Baloo and Smokey would chase her, probably why she never became part of the colony. When Ira told us he was closing the park, I started telling the cats if they wanted to move with us, they needed to be here so I could bring them. And Peanutbutter showed up right then - and stayed. Until near the end, when she disappeared again. :lol3: I went through a fair amount of angst over what to do about her. In the end, Momofmany pointed out that sometimes it's best to remember the "R" in TNR stands for return, not relocate. Peanutbutter wasn't dependent on us, and knock wood, never needed to be trapped to be taken to the vet.

I saw her one morning over at the dumpster. I told her if she wanted to come with us, she needed to go eat at "her" feeding station (the drop trap!). So that afternoon who's at the feeding station? Peanutbutter. But not the drop trap. She was at the other feeding station, completely the other side of the property, where she'd never been before. I told her I understood, I'd put the drop trap away. She continued to show up to eat at the other station. I think she was saying good bye. :heart2:

The feral kittens we wanted to trap over at the dumpster ... their schedule got all messed up with very busy weekends just before the park closed. And then they disappeared. All of them but one, and that one was only there for two meals before he or she disappeared. They just vanished. :dk: I kept putting food out for about a week. But it was going mostly uneaten - not even wildlife was around over there eating. Very odd.

So the kitties dependent on us are here. And Peanutbutter is in her territory. :rub:

mschauer mschauer , I was thinking they wouldn't leave the tent if released during the day. Not that I have a problem with that. ;)

As to the driveway, the issue is the hump in the road combined with the dip in the driveway. Without one or the other, it would be tight, but do-able (getting the RV up (or down)). So yes, we can most likely have the bottom of the driveway regraded. It's just not an inexpensive project, so it's going to sit on the "to do" list. ;)

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new home! Love, love, love the remembrance light. Sorry about the RV problems. In my experience there is always something to deal with in a move. Glad the kitties are loving their new space.I hope everything goes well with the ferals. Wishing all of you years of love in your new home.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so proud for you!  I', glad your indoor kitties are settling in and hope the ferals hang around.  They probably will, food is a good thing.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I am seeing this new thread. It's good that you guys finally got moved in. The house looks good!  I know you are relieved!  Great to hear the kitties are playing & having a good time!!  

Them adjusting so well is a testament to the wonderful care & environment you give them. Take it as a blessing for all you have done!!! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the good wishes! :hugs:

We put heating pads in the feral kitty cage boxes. It is bitterly cold. We're close to opening the doors. Now we just need a break in the bad weather. :rub:

There was one last thing to make our kitchen complete....

Dottie is home. :heart2: