We Are Waiting For His Return

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom,, Talien. .. When we TNR'd little Raven, we had to keep her in a large dog crate (in my pole barn) to keep male cats away from her for 10 days! I guess it's the same for males.

Doug

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take awhile. Usually 3-6 weeks. I had a similar situation happen years ago. Once neutered it took him many weeks to settle down.

Thank you for getting him neutered. Also don't give up on Sunny Boy. I had one go missing for 5 months then return and another gone 8 months and return. You just never know.

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We picked up "Charlie" (the new male cat)" this morning from TNR. All went well but, they gave him an
age of 2 yrs. old (a best guess maybe). After what may have been a 2 hour nap, he was back to his normal self. ... We wanted to TNR him a quickly as possible so he'll be calmed down when Sunny Boy returns home.

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can take awhile. Usually 3-6 weeks. I had a similar situation happen years ago. Once neutered it took him many weeks to settle down.

Thank you for getting him neutered. Also don't give up on Sunny Boy. I had one go missing for 5 months then return and another gone 8 months and return. You just never know.
The cat that when missing for 5 months and the cat that when missing for 8 months, did the not leave after a stay at home for a while?

Doug

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat that when missing for 5 months and the cat that when missing for 8 months, did the not leave after a stay at home for a while?

Doug
The cat that was gone for 5 months did return, but sadly he left again. He was a free spirit. He did return a few more times, but never came back to stay. He had been with me for almost 2 years when he left the first time.

The cat that was gone for 8 months, returned in the spring after a brutally cold winter. I was certain he had not survived. He never ever left again! That was 4.5 years ago. I moved last year and still had 3 ferals living on my deck. I managed to get them trapped again and they moved with me. This time around I decided to make them indoor cats. All 3 are doing well.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like you've had lots of good weigh-ins on everything -- but what can one more hurt, right? :)

it's so wonderful that you're so concerned about your guys - - does my heart good, especially since often it seems (since I've worked for/volunteered for cat shelters for years) that 95% of the people in the world wouldn't be that concerned. So it uplifted me to see how much you're doing to make sure all's right in their kitty world. :redheartpump:

As far as the testosterone and changes in his body....most vets agree that it takes at least 2 weeks for the testosterone to leave a male cat's system, and up to 6 weeks for him to be completely infertile. I remember first time I read that years ago - I was stunned! I thought it was much more immediate then that ---but all it took to prove it to me was a cat at a cat shelter I volunteered for years ago accidentally let a newly neutered (2 weeks) young male into a room that had one unspayed female. We were all beyond shocked (again - years ago so people didn't have easy access to info like this) when the female became pregnant!

And the behavioral changes, sadly it's not overnight (wouldn't that be great!?!? but truly start to occur closer to 6 week post-neutering. But ALOT of the behavior can start to dissipate earlier - - and hopefully Charlie's behavior will be well on its road when Sunny Boy returns!!!!!!! (I'm keeping the faith for you and Sunny Boy - - you'll see many tales on this site of kitties returning FAR after their guardians dreamed possible).

So hang in there- - - and PLEASE keep us posted!!!!!!

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,,,,, Today, I am a site member at "thecatsite" for one year! You've helped me through our "farel" ups and downs, and for that I thank you all. ... Tomorrow, it will be six months since our "Sunny Boy" went M.I.A. ,,, we still call for him to COME HOME! ...I have installed a 12 amp power line from our garage out to the "cat house". I have installed both an indoor and outdoor lights and a plug for a heated water bowl inside the cat house.(only water, no food). ... The weather here has been warmer and the farels have been spending their time playing in the snowless grass or sun bathing! ... We hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and will have a safe New Years eve!

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,,,,, Today, I am a site member at "thecatsite" for one year! You've helped me through our "farel" ups and downs, and for that I thank you all. ... Tomorrow, it will be six months since our "Sunny Boy" went M.I.A. ,,, we still call for him to COME HOME! ...I have installed a 12 amp power line from our garage out to the "cat house". I have installed both an indoor and outdoor lights and a plug for a heated water bowl inside the cat house.(only water, no food). ... The weather here has been warmer and the farels have been spending their time playing in the snowless grass or sun bathing! ... We hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and will have a safe New Years eve!

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,,,,,I thought I'd bring you all up to date! ... Our "Sunny Boy" went M.I.A.7 months & 1 week ago today. Still waiting for him! ... Charlie, the male we trapped and TNR'd, comes by only about 2 times a week and doesn't eat that much any more... Well,,, I've been working with our little "Raven". She never wanted to sleep in our cat shed with her 2 older sisters. So, when it was quite cold outside, I'd pick her up and carry her in and hold her up to a foam board cat house (nest). She'd walk in, lay down and take a long nap! For the last few days, she has been going in by herself and sleeping there during the night. We feel better because we know it's warmer and safer in the shed for her. ...Have a great day tomorrow.

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friends,,, when Raven was small she interacted with Sunny Boy. He was always easy going when they would play. After Sunny left, Raven regressed a little. this winter, Raven has opened up a lot. She is playing with her two older sisters more and jumps up to sit on my window sill. Last night, she was watching birds (Science channel) on my T.V.. Hopefully, Sunny will come home soon so Raven can play with her buddy again!

Doug