Ways To Reduce Feeding Induced Vomit?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat vomits ~ once/week. I don't think that's too unusual but I'd like to try reducing that frequency by making some changes. Either the food itself, or the way it's fed.

I feed 1 can of Fancy Feast (pate) in the morning and 1/4 cup 'Go: Chicken,Turkey & Duck' grain/gluten free kibble. The fancy feast is placed in a small ss bowl (I've tried plates) and the kibble is in a separate small ss bowl.

Sometimes she wolves down her canned food in the morning, then within a minute - vomit back up. The vomit includes the wet food + kibble pieces.

Here's what I'm thinking of trying:

(1)Woops - can't post Amazon link. It's called Catit Multi Feeder

This is much higher off the ground and contains a little feeding station that she'll have to pull pieces of kibble out of the center. I'm hoping this might slow her down. Sometimes the vomit is 100% kibble.

(2) I'd like your opinion on large kibble options out there.
I know there are Royal Canin Oral Sens.30 / Hill's - Oral Care kibbles. The size is great that would force chewing, but the ingredients are just pretty lackluster and would be a big step down from what I'm feeding now.

(3) Other options?
------------------------------------------
Sorry - I'm not interested in providing a BARF diet at this point in time.

cheers,
Marc

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomiting at all is not normal, especially not once a week. Are you certain it’s due to eating too fast? It may be due to a food allergy or GI issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm fairly certain it's due to eating too fast. When she eats slower, the vomiting typically doesn't happen.

If it was a food allergy, wouldn't the vomiting be on a daily basis?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't increase the size of the kibble. I think the trade off of quality isn't worth it.

With the amount of vomiting it is you are probably just looking at a fast eater problem, which you seem to have come to the same conclusion. You might want to look into a slow feeder or slow feeder home methods. The catit looks like it accomplishes that goal but the plastic could lead to problems if you aren't keeping it very clean.

This is one of the slow feeders, Indipets Stainless Steel Slow Pet Bowl with Silicon Ring. But it depends on how the actual size compares with your cat on how well it would work. There is this one, Pioneer Pet Ceramic Portion Control Food Dish, that is similar to the catit in principal but is ceramic so it would be cleaner and not contribute to the chance of chin acne. Another idea would be to put ping pong balls or egg cups or small sauce cups upside down into the bowl for her to have to eat around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I like the ping pong ball, or inverted sauce cups into existing bowl idea. Thanks for the tip.

I'm also going to try a mini muffin pan for portioning out the wet food.
Changing the way food is presented rather than change in food itself, sounds like a logical first approach.

I like both those bowls you linked to from Chewy. Yet I'm in Canada and apparently they don't ship here. Amazon carries it, but the price + shipping is cost prohibitive.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a cat that tends to "scarf and barf" i have noticed with him he only does this if eating kibble and wet food at the same time. if i make sure he has no kibble 1 or 2 hours before or after wet food we dont have near as much problem. also the smaller the kibble the better he does. i started feeding Dr. Elsey's clean protein kibble, very small pieces, and he normally never barfs with it. i have been able to leave the Dr. Elsey out all the time, and feed two wet meals per day, no problems so far.