Ways to prop a door open for LB access?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am planning on putting the litterbox on the landing to the basement. When kitty is older and can confidently do stairs, I may move it down to the basement.

Anyhow, my only problem now is I need a way to prop open the door -- something that will keep it partially open at all times. We toyed with the idea of actually cutting a hole in the door but since it is a 6-panel door and I am not sure it is even solid -- I think that might be a disaster.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My cat's litter box is in the basement. We just leave the door cracked open for her.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Hmmm... if it were me, I'd probably hit up Lowes or Home Depot and ask an employee there for ideas - a lot of times if you tell them what you're trying to do, they can help you come up with a way how....

the only thing that came to my mind is those locks on hotel room doors: the kind where there's a little knob type thing on the door and a two-barred clip that's attached to the door jam and swings over top of the knobby part to lock it.... whenever I'm in hotels with friends or family and someone wants to run out of the room without a key, we flip the swing arm part so it's sticking outside the door before the door shuts and it keeps the door propped open.... good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found the Cat Hole (www.cathole.com). That look awesome! My only concern is I don't know how big my kitten will grow and they opening sure doesn't look very big (looks like an adult cat would have to crouch down to get through. I guess if you start when they are a kitten they would get used to it??? Whats you opionion on the size of the "cat hole"?

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

Anyhow, my only problem now is I need a way to prop open the door -- something that will keep it partially open at all times.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but why couldn't you just put something in between the door and the jamb? Like a shoe, or a book, or a anything. You'd have to wedge it so it wouldn't jar loose, but anything wpuld work.

skizzorhand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can use a rubber wedge (about 2"x 3")to keep the door open. You should be able to find them at Home Depot or Lowe's, maybe even Walmart. You might want to get 2 of them so you can put one on each side of the door because they're used for keeping a door totally open not just cracked open.

Another idea would be to buy another door at Lowe's or Home Depot and have them cut and insert a medium size doggy door without the flap. That way the edges of cut wood won't splinter your kitty.

Good luck,
Susie

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I looked around a little on the cat hole web site cuz it looks pretty interesting to me, and they claim that the door will comfortably fit most cats up to 20 pounds and you can talk to them about special orders if your cat wont fit through their regular sized cat hole.... I dont need one of these right now, but it's a good product to know about for the future!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way I have found is to remove the door knob mechanism altogether. That way even if the door is closed the cat can still push the door open.

iamgunk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found the perfect item! TheDoorLatch...Amazon DONT CUT YOUR DOOR!

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats like to play around the back of the bathroom door, and their litter box is in the bathroom. I was worried they would accidentally close the door and lock one of them in or out with no access to the box while we are at work. I got a square basket, put one of our heavy ceramic chicken sculptures sitting down in it (looks cute) and keep it on the floor against the door while the door is open. If they get behind and push it shut, it will stick against the edge of the hall carpet and keep it open.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use this to keep the laundry closet door open enough so the washer door can be left ajar to allow the inside to dry but keep the cats out:

Propping a door open just enough with a heavy object like a 20 lb dumbbell would also work.