ways to get the EZ egg yolk in Lily?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the EZ egg yolk delivered yesterday, and just tried it with Lily. As suspected, she would not eat it, and I had it mixed in with chicken baby food. Would not touch it. so, I attempted to just stick it on my finger and get it in her mouth. I got a tiny bit in, but not a lot, no where near the recommended starting dosage. its quite runny with the baby food though. I need something like the canned pumpkin, that was thick enough to stick to my finger, and I was able to get several finger fulls of pumpkin in her, when it was pumpkin. Could I use the pumpkin maybe? or something of that consistency. I sure wish Lily was a normal cat, most people have no problems getting them to eat stuff like that. I really have/had high hopes with this stuff, to help with her constipation and hair balls but getting enough in her every few days is a huge issue.
I offered it to Zoe too afterwards to see if it was just Lily being Lily, but Zoe didn't want any either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is always the foul trick, to smear it on her fur. So she will lick it off... The same trick with for example virgin olive oil, if you deem she needs some extra E-vitamine...

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought the capsules which I break open and sprinkle in their food. Then I'll use the freeze dried treats and sprinkle it on top of the wet food to disguise it. It seems to work for me.

Good luck. I had a cat with constipation problem and I know how difficult it is. Keep at it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I tried again this morning, this time I tried mixing it in with her breakfast, tried to trick her into eating it. Nope, wouldn't touch it. :mad2: Anyone think it would be okay to mix with pumpkin puree? Puree is real thick, so easy to force it on her, and get it in quickly. But since they are both for getting things moving, would this be too much fiber/fat and possibly block her up more?
Then I was googling different baby foods. Is Ham flavored baby food ok for cats? That looks like an interesting flavor. Or what else can a cat eat, a thick liquid that I can mix the EZ Egg yolk in? I'm desperate here :( Really want this stuff to work.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi stacydc83.

Two quick thoughts.....

I've always found that if I'm going to add any new ingredient.....I must start with a very small amount and, over time, very gradually increase that up to the desired amount. I'd start with a pinch of the powder for a few days, two pinches for a few days, three pinches, etc.....

And, it's most unlikely that you're going to overdo with pumpkin.

Baby foods are also great for this kind of quick fix......just a teaspoonful will do the trick. (Butternut squash can be a sub for pumpkin, too.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will try adding a tiny bit to her food, and see if she notices. if she does, it'll go down more forceably with pumpkin or baby food. Do what ya gotta do :evilgrin: