Ways to get cats to use the litter box

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat started using the litter box pretty quickly when I got him. It's a 1x1 foot hospital basin I put inside of a big pet carrier. He started pooping downstairs some so I bought a second box for down stairs. A big covered one by Van Ness. He was going good for a while until his hormones started and he started peeing all over the house. For about 6 months he only pooped in the boxes and peed all over the house. I got him fixed a week ago and he still doesn't pee in the boxes yet. I use tidy cats clumping unscented litter with charcoal filtration. I tried taking the cover off the litter box and he seems to use it more but still won't pee in it. He plays in my attic and started doing both up there so I bought a third open litter box now from Frisco to try putting up there. I also bought litter mats to put outside the boxes

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes a while after neutering for the hormones to cycle out of his system, so that might help a bit more in the coming weeks. However, any place that he has gone that has not been thoroughly cleaned to get rid of the urine smell is like an invitation to go in those places over and over again. So, that is probably the first thing you need to attack - see links below about cleaning tactics/litter box issues.

I would also soak up urine from where he is going and place it in the litter boxes so that he can smell his urine in them. You can also use disposable puppy pee pads, or similar ones that are washable, if the current litter mats you have are not washable.

It may also have become a bit of a habit, given it went on for 6 months, so you may have to confine him to a single room - thoroughly cleaned of urine - with his litter boxes, and all of his other necessities, for a period of time to see if that helps.

How To Remove Cat Urine - TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions - TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know - TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent advise, especially the enzymatic cleaners for areas where he has already gone. His hormones are still there, and will be for about six weeks. And they will be lesseing with every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it be cruel to put him in his carrier with the smaller litter box for like a half hour every time he pees on something. It would be pretty hard to lock him in one room. Maybe my bedroom if I get a lock for my door. He can easily push most of the doors open.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To repeat the advice above, contain him in a room with several litterboxes and a couple different litter types, the idea being to basically train him that the litterbox is for peeing in, and to find out if there is a litter he prefers.

and do this too ...
I would also soak up urine from where he is going and place it in the litter boxes so that he can smell his urine in them.
There's a litter called Cat Attract, that may also help.

You've had him in for a wellness check? Any blood/urine tests?

Last edited:

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did do a check up they said but It was a neutering clinic. Not a normal vet. They were taking lots of people so i didn't have much time to speak to them but they said everything seemed good. I'm working on getting my licence and a car so I can get him for a regular vet check up. The one close to me died. I had to carry him in a carrier on a bus and neither of us liked that at all.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I'm using kaytee cage cleaner mixed with vinegar that I clean my guinea pig cage with for the cat urine to. Is that a good solution?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I try cat nip in the litter boxes to?
Hmmm, not necessarily, it might confuse him in the future. I don't know anything about the cage cleaner, do you know if it is enzymatic - does it say on the bottle? I know vinegar is good for just about everything, but cat urine is unfortunately a little different.