Ways to create stress- free car travel?

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I live at the very southern tip of Louisiana and I was watching the news tonight and got to thinking when they said they think its going to be a very active hurricane season. And seeing that its the beggining of the season, I have begun to prepare in case I would need to evacuate. My cat Caspian HATES being in a car. When I take him to the vet (only about a 10 minute car ride) he is literally FRANTIC while the car is moving. I always take him in a soft pet carrier with blankets and a few toys to try to comfort him but he just constantly paces and meows very loudly. It brakes my heart to see how utterly terrified he is :(

If I had to leave for a hurricane it would be at least a five hour drive 9 out of 10 chances. And another thing that worries me is that I have a yorkie that is also not a good traveler. He gets extremely stressed out and I know with both of them in the car they would just stress each other out more. 

So what are some things I could do to try to make traveling for my furry darlings less stressful? I would hate to have to hear them suffer for hours in a car. I know that taking them out for breaks as often as I could would help but what else could I do?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting them to be at ease with a carrier is the best thing you can do. Now is the time to do this. Keep it out and use it as part of their normal environment. Keep something soft on the bottom, throw in treats and just let them get used to it NOT being such a scary thing. When carriers are brought out only at times that stress them, they get used to the idea that BAD things happen when they go in it. So letting them learn that it's not a bad place is a tremendous help. The use of a feliway spray on the towel or blanket inside may also help. Let it dry before placing them on it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, putting in an item of clothing, like a sweatshirt, that you have worn recently and not washed will help reassure them with your scent. I keep my carriers open all the time and the ladies nap and play in them. They each have an old sweatshirt in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the help! I've put out both my yorkies carrier and my kitties to start getting them use to it. I've been taking his wand toy thing and have been playing with him around it. I've also put in a sweater I've worn recently.

He hasn't gotten in it at all yet but he seems to be okay being around it so I'm sure he is going to warm up to it over time. Thank y'all so much for the advice!