Watery eyes

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The other day I noticed Diago, for the first time, had a large tear under each eye.. I wiped them away easily. it was just clear tears not gunky. Same thing just happened and he has wet marks there as if they have been running. I also know that one cat has normal not smelly poop and one has AWEFUL stinky poops ..I don't know which is which for sure because they wait until I am gone or not looking to go, but it could be him. This is likely not related but both of them have started itching behind their ears enough for me to notice but not a whole lot. their ears look clean and they are on revolution.

They see the vet fri for their annual anyways but I just wondered if anyone had any idea on Diago? no sneezing by the way, and his sleep and behaviour is completely normal.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you have already made a decision to take them to the vet. I would probably take in the two different kinds of stools as samples as well, as they will likely want to do a fecal culture on the stinky one just to make sure there are no worms/parasites. If there are, it's good to have the other sample to see if there is any indication there. Though, if one has it they will likely treat both given how quickly stuff like that spreads. Ideally you want the samples as, uh, fresh as they can be but you can keep them in the fridge up to 12 hours if you need to. 

As for the eye watering it's a tough call. It could be the beginning of an upper respiratory infection, an eye infection, a herpes flare, allergies, or just a plain old watering eye. The vet may choose to treat for a URI/eye infection (can oftentimes use the same meds) and if that doesn't clear it up move on to other possibilities. 

If I have traumatized you from seeing the word herpes take a breath- it's actually pretty common and most cats who have ever been in a shelter carry the virus. It is similar to human herpes (cold sores people not the other kind!) but is not transmittable to humans. My older girl has it and whenever she is under a lot of stress it "flares." So, that may be what's happening here. She doesn't get a lot of off colored gunk, just a lot of tearing and squinting. 

It could also be that Dear Diago is the culprit of the stinky poops and has some sort of allergy that is manifesting in two different modalities (out his eyes and his behind). The most common allergen for cats is grain so if there is grain in his food you may want to consider switching him to a grain free kind. You can find a lot of threads on the subject of grain free over the nutrition section but to get you started I did a search: http://www.thecatsite.com/newsearch?search=Grain+Free . Some of those articles may be of interest to you. That said, I would probably wait until after the appointment to switch him. If you do and the vet puts him on antibiotics then you won't know which was the actual solution. Address each in turn so you know the true cause and effect. I am more saying it so you have other possibilities to ask the vet about in case they don't mention it. 

Vibes that both situations are not serious and easily treatable. Please let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info. My guys havr never been in a shelter and I'm proud to say I have been feeding them grain free since the day I got them. The vet said his eyes look good and the stinky fecal is the only one I had brought in and it was clear. The vet also asked what I feed while commenting that their coats look really nice and shiney and that is an indicator of good general health. Their ears were spotless and they got a clean bill of health. I'm a pleased mommy.

So perhaps he has an allergy but I haven't changed his food so I'm not sure the deal?

And I just have to tell someone that my little man sat so quiet and well behaved for his exam and needles..then cuddled under moms chin...misty on the other hand...erm, hissed at the vet than growled that odd sound they make the whole time...poor vet had to have an assistant hold under her head so she couldn't bite. Naughty girl.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh well there just couldn't be a better post! Given what the vet said it doesn't should like there is anything to worry about. Maybe he does have an airborne allergy to a plant or weed or something that is only around in the summer (like humans). Just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse call the vet again but hopefully it will just clear up on it's own. 

It sounds like he was absolutely adorable at the vet's office. I wish either of mine would be that well behaved! You should be a proud Momma not only for how well you care for them but for that exceptional behavior!

And don't worry, we all have a Misty in our lives.... 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou that was a lovely kind post to logon and see! You made me smile and brightened my day!