Watery Eye

littlekingtrashmouth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My curious little kitty was waiting for me to get home the other day and stuck his head outside the door while I was closing it and got hit on the head with it. He seemed his normal playful self but then i noticed his eye was watering and he was eating less. He doesnt seem to be in pain because every time he is sick or hurting he hides behind my bed and hes been out and about. Still playful and active, but with a little less appetite and the eye continually waters. I was doing the usual google search to make sure he was okay and came across this:

Is her eye cloudy? Does she rub her head and squint?

These are signs of an eye ulcer. If you see them, get your cat to the vet right away. If it isn’t treated she could lose her sight. Causes include blows to the head, a scratched eye, an infection, and chemicals.

His eye is not cloudy, from what I can tell, but he is a little squinty. What worries me about that is they say causes include blows to the head.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if a trip to the vet is really necessary. I would love to be able to bring him in anytime anything remotely bad happens but unfortunately I dont have the funds, and I'm trying to hold off on going until his annual check up which will happen in April/ May.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this has gone on for more than 48 hours, then, yes. You need to make a trip to the vet. I know how difficult that can be on a restricted budget (mine is so restricted that it cramps on occasion), but any minor irritation will clear up in that amount of time. Infections or head injuries will not, and MUST be seen by a vet for proper diagnosis and care! I'm including some links that may help you find assistance with vet care!

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
When You Can't Afford A Veterinarian
Financial Help For Cat Care.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the discharge is clear, it may be an allergy, the first sign of a mild URI, or a small scratch to the eyeball. Since this is not normal for your cat, I would get it checked out by the vet just to be on the safe side.