Watery eye and third eye lid

roscoeraccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My girl just woke up with a watery eye and her third eyelid showing. She is acting perfectly normal and asking for food, but of course I’m worried. Is this a need for immediate vet attention or should I wait a day to see if it clears up? Thanks!

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any eyewash handy? It might be a foreign object or similar eye irritation. However, it might be because she is getting an upper respiratory infection and I would give her some L-lysine to boost her immune system as a precaution. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roscoeraccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any eyewash handy? It might be a foreign object or similar eye irritation. However, it might be because she is getting an upper respiratory infection and I would give her some L-lysine to boost her immune system as a precaution. Please keep us updated!
Thank you for your reply! I just googled and visine is not safe, right? Maybe I can hold her and try to rinse with water.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd see your vet. The vet will do a dye test to see if their are scratches and will be able to really look at the eye. Flushing it at home without knowing if or what is there could cause scratching or move it around instead of getting it off. I never mess with eye problems, eye problem in my house is an immediate trip to a vet. The third eyelid showing suggests that there is something more going on since that usually indicates general illness. Watery eye could be from the third eyelid. There are too many questions and things it could be for me to be comfortable with a home remedy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roscoeraccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! Update: I gently rinsed the eye with clean water and dug up some l-lysine for her dinner. She is looking much better this morning. The third eyelid is no longer showing and her eye isn’t watery any more. She is still squinting so her pupil isn’t dialating like the other one is. I won’t mess with it anymore today and if it isn’t better by tomorrow to the vets we go!

Attachments