TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

First a little details of my cat
Name: Snobby
Sex: Female
Breed: Persian

I just entered my bedroom today after a jog and was shocked to see my cat covered in watery brown liquid. She was fine last night before going to bed. My entire room is filled with puddles of this watery brown liquid. This is everywhere in the room, on the bed, the sofa, floor etc. This is noting like I've seen before, it is almost watery with a tint of brown and there is absolutely no odour. I'm not sure if this is dripping from the anus, the vagina or the urethra. Even when she's just lying down the water keeps dripping out in intervals of about one hour and the water quantity is large. Physically she seems fine, she's active and hungry. I've been to the vet today but they are not sure, the three possibilities they have mentioned is diarrhoea, urinary track infection or uterus infection. I've attached pictures of the discharge and I'm sorry if it is nasty. I'm very worried and would really appreciate any kind of help.

Thank You.

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I'm so sorry Snobby is sick. I find that kind of discharge pretty alarming, especially at such a high volume. Did the vet offer any treatment or medication, or did they just send you home? Also, has she been spayed?

If this happened with one of mine, I'd be pushing for definitive diagnosis and treatment ASAP. If you're not comfortable with the current vet's approach, seek a second opinion, today if possible.

I really hope you get some answers soon, and that Snobby gets better quickly :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please find another more pro-active vet if you can. When Feeby had a brownish- colored watery discharge it turned out to be the beginning of her anal glands becoming clogged. She was fine otherwise.

Snobby's could be more clogged than Feeby's, hence more fluid being discharged; but if they become too clogged, they will prevent her from having normal bowel movements. Has she been pooping less frequently, or having smaller than normal size BMs? If it turns out to be some clogging, a vet can perform an on-the-spot anal expression, whereby he/she simply squeezes out the gunk collecting in the glands. Feeby wasn't "impressed" with the procedure, but I don't think it hurt her.

In Feeby's case, it happened because she is older and heavier, and doesn't clean herself properly. The licking helps to keep the glands functioning as intended - so they can naturally be expressed during bowel movements. Since Snobby is younger, there could be another type of underlying problem.

BTW - Feeby also DID have a UTI at the same time; more than likely a result of the discharge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Columbine Columbine : Thank you so much for your reply. She has not been spayed, she’s had a litter about two years back as her first and nothing after that. The first litter she had a lot of complications and almost got operated as she couldn’t deliver the kittens. The vet has prescribed some antibiotics for infection and given me a day or two to see if conditions get better. Did and ultrasound scan and everything seems fine. Just got the blood sample report and again everything seems absolutely fine. Guess I’ll have to wait a day and hope for things to get better.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner : Thank you so much for the reply. I guess the vet did check her anal glands and said she was fine. I’ve six cats so keeping a track of her pooping habits has been difficult, will keep a closer eye now. She had diarrhoea and vomiting yesterday. Did Feeby’s discharge volume same as Snobby’s because this is alarming?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, based on what you've said - Feeby's discharge wasn't as much in terms of the volume you're describing. And, she didn't have diarrhea or vomiting. Although, the vet said that could happen if the clogging had been more severe than Feeby's was. However, if your vet checked her anal glands, I would have to think that is not the problem.

Good luck. Please let us know how things are going over the course of the next couple of days. I sure hope she gets better with the antibiotics.

Last edited:

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , today Snobby has been much better. The watery discharge has finally stopped and she’s been doing good the past 12 hours. She’s been eating and drinking water well. She had loose motions twice today but I’m guessing it’s because of the medications. Looks like the antibiotics is working. I will continue medication until tomorrow and then visit the vet day after. Will keep you posted, thanks for being there in times of trouble :)

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Columbine Columbine FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Got her tested again today and it is confirmed that she has a uterus infection. Just letting you guys know so you’re aware for such future circumstances if any. She’s going in for surgery tomorrow. Hope things go well, will keep you guys posted.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing she has Pyometra? That happens when they aren't spayed, but she is pretty young yet. Spaying her is hopefully they surgery they are performing?

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello jen jen , yes they’re spaying her. Have you experienced such a case before? Anything I’ve to be careful about?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, spaying her is the best thing for her. You are doing the right thing. Glad you got her into the vet as soon as you could with this. It could be life threatening very quickly.

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like Pyometra and yes spaying her is the only option. Like you said this is a life threatening condition, it’s hard to believe something like this can happen under our care. Will update soon, thank you.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could provide the best care possible but this is a good reason why spaying is such an important thing. You seem like a wonderful cat owner. But you live and learn :) Now you will know the importance of spaying your future cats :)

deepakbreddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
jen jen yes even with the best care this condition went unnoticed. She went through surgery and her uterus was fifteen times bigger than a normal cat. She is recovering well now. Thank you for all the support, cheers guys :)