Water gun on stray cat -- okay?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our neighbors's cat (who is an angel of a cat to me... ) attacked my feral... and then when I told him to "lay off" when he was closing in again A SECOND TIME... he is twice the size of my 11 y.o. sweet-as-pie little feral KittyKat... he did, and I suggestied we walk to the mail box, a little walk. I then suggested he go home, where he is being abused. Of course he came back with me up the hill.

I paused for a moment before going in, to check visually which door to use (we have two, was one locked? he is good at sneaking inside), and where was KittyKat, and CHOMP, he sank into my leg, 3 gaping puncture wounds. 4 hours, in the urgent care, heavy antibiotics, and all this, two days before Christmas Eve. No apology at all!

Neighbors seem indifferent to what is going on...or the owner, the lady, can't push back on the fiance, who owns the "abusive 30 pound sheepdog puppy" who howls and cries non-stop.

They have been gone for a week. Cat has been indoors but they are returning. The Humane Society has told me to use a water gun to spray him with water, as did the owner. I feel so bad doing this to an abused cat. Your thoughts? I feel like I am out of options in this tragic setup.

The Feral Cat Society lady, another "angel", did offer to talk to them, or lend me a trap, and keep trapping him, so he could be adopted. The owner is 23 weeks pregnant and I fear I will wind up in the middle of their drama (and abuse) no matter what I do. Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't use a water bottle on him. That poor abused kitty is likely looking at you as the only human friend that he has- the only one who has been good to him- so please don't destroy that trust. I am surprised that the Human Society would recommenced it- actually now that I think about it, I'm not- they are the laziest bunch around.

I hope you can maybe trap him and get him to a loving and safe home.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be a little hard nosed here but the cat has entered your property, has attacked and injured you, is a threat to your animals,
we all love our cats but isnt this a bridge to far.
I would trap the cat and let the authorities deal with it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You probably should have combined your two threads into one - as each is kind of dependent on the other. Trapping this guy would be the best bet, but it would seem with your feral kitty (Feral with croupy cough) you need to trap her as well, given that she is sick. So, get the help you've been offered and get this guy out of the way so you can help the other kitty.

You've been bitten, good reason for this cat to be trapped and checked for rabies.

Edit: The Feral Cat Society lady could also talk to your neighbor, explain that you have been bit and unless they can prove their cat has been given vaccinations for rabies, they might be willing to surrender him. Either way, their ownership is pretty much over and this cat can be checked for rabies, and then given to a foster to help him become adoptable.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't we all pause and think about why this cat is acting like he is.

I might be a little hard nosed here but the cat has entered your property, has attacked and injured you, is a threat to your animals,
we all love our cats but isnt this a bridge to far.
I would trap the cat and let the authorities deal with it.

Agreed, except with a slight difference- I would trap the cat and let the rescue groups deal with him. He is not a human who made the consciousness decision to be on the wrong side of the law- he didn't attack her because he was a jerk. He is a little creature who has every reason to be afraid.

For the sake of the OP, her feral, and the abused cat, I do hope he is captured, worked with, and adopted out.

Last edited:

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
A water gun seems quite harsh to use on the guy, I'm sorry to hear that he bit you and is attacking your feral. Hopefully you can trap him and a rescue can find him a good home. He's probably attacking Kittykat because he sees her as an invader of his "territory" or his soft place to land and could be fearful she'll push him out. If your place is the only place he feels safe I'm not surprised that he's protecting it. I hope he gets out from where he is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted pictures of the bites above in my post. Thank heavens I didn't get cellulitis. I was told it can lead to days in the ER on heavy antibiotics. I agree. I love that other cat too. Heart breaking. I love KittyKat too... have to stand by her but I have a code to help and love all cats... I just do. I love cats.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted pictures of the bites above in my post. Thank heavens I didn't get cellulitis. I was told it can lead to days in the ER on heavy antibiotics. I agree. I love that other cat too. Heart breaking. I love KittyKat too... have to stand by her but I have a code to help and love all cats... I just do. I love cats.

Oh wow, please keep an eye on those wounds, they look deep. I have had cat bites that have taken me to the ER and they have all been from my own cats.

Thank you for feeling that way and for all the love you give to precious little furballs everywhere.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A water gun seems quite harsh to use on the guy, I'm sorry to hear that he bit you and is attacking your feral. Hopefully you can trap him and a rescue can find him a good home. He's probably attacking Kittykat because he sees her as an invader of his "territory" or his soft place to land and could be fearful she'll push him out. If your place is the only place he feels safe I'm not surprised that he's protecting it. I hope he gets out from where he is.
Yes I think he desperately wants a new home. The owner even asked me to watch him for 9 (nine!) days, no compensation, feeding, litter box, at my house or theirs... day before he bit me. I already was getting worried that he was getting too attached, and I too was falling in love with him. I mean... real love.

I knew I could not do this without him never ever wanting to leave, and bonding with me. He bit me before I was going to bring this up.

Maybe he bit me because he was mad at me, or because I had stopped feeding him (at their request) and he had been out all night and it is cold here at night (poor darling!)... and he was so sad and crying at my door. early the next morning.. of course he wanted KittyKat gone.

My heart breaks with love. And now --- spray him with a water gun? I think getting him trapped may be more humane but the neighbors are pretty psycho. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Anyway, I certainly don't blame the cat. He's just doin' what any cat would do... finding safe shelter and finding that his only friend is suddenly gone.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
You've been bitten, good reason for this cat to be trapped and checked for rabies.
No...... please do not do this or even suggest it, OP. Do you know what “checked for rabies” means? It means euthanize the cat to send it’s head off for testing. That is the only way to actually verify rabies.

The only other option is a lengthy and expensive isolation boarding (in this case, very real solitary confinement) which is traumatic for the cat and not something these owners would likely ever do....... which leaves the former option.

Did you ask the owners if he is up to date on vaccinations when you told them he bit you? The doctors seriously should have already asked you to verify that, and highly recommended you receive rabies treatment if he is unvaccinated or you were unable to verify. This is very serious.

I was bit last year, got very infected, was basically bed ridden for two or so weeks, went to the hospital, etc. The majority of infections happen with bites to the hand, wrist, or feet where there is a substantial lack of subcutaneous fat, so you are probably okay.

I knew within an hour I was infected, and my entire arm was immobilized from excruciating pain and swelling within just a few hours. My bites were on the hand and wrist.

Seriously, you need to ask your neighbors whether their outdoor cat is up to date on vaccinations and you need to do this NOW.

If they say he is, ask for verification - either they give you a copy of his certificate and you call the clinic/vet to conclusively verify, or, if they don’t have or can’t find the certificate, then you ask for the vet and/or clinic name where he had it done and follow up there.

She will need to give permission for them to release that information to you, but tell her it is a medical emergency, and if she won’t cooperate then you will call the authorities and they will take the cat for “testing”, and be sure to explain what that means.

You are mostly just blowing hot air here to persuade her to cooperate. But honestly, if she refuses... there’s little you can do now at this point. And if you die of rabies, they’ll have the kitty off the street soon enough so he won’t be a danger anymore.

The good news is, the chances are exceptionally low that he has rabies. Cat-to-human transmission is exceedingly rare. But your doctors were negligent if they didn’t advise you about this.

Plus!!! If he IS vaccinated and they can provide proof or allow you to verify, then it will make getting him into a rescue a lot easier! A lot of rescues would not take a cat with a recent bite history that’s not up-to-date or has unknown status.

So use your injury to your advantage to extract that information out of them!

Is it possible he saw your feral and redirected his aggression toward you? That’s what happened to me when I was bit.

Is there any way you might consider keeping the little guy? You seem so fond of him, and bringing him inside would keep him away from your outdoor kitty, get him out of that abusive home, and keep him safer just by being off the streets.

You’d have to hide him from your neighbor, of course. I would wait until this situation cools down, and until your neighbor is either farther along in her pregnancy or after she gives birth - hopefully she would be too distracted by baby to care all that much about kitty and just assume he ran away and move on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No...... please do not do this or even suggest it, OP. Do you know what “checked for rabies” means? It means euthanize the cat to send it’s head off for testing. That is the only way to actually verify rabies.
Perhaps that happens in your area, I can only speak to my area and that DOES NOT HAPPEN. They quarantine the animal and if they do not show signs of rabies they are released to an animal rescue center - or back to owners, in some cases. Because of this approach the person bitten usually has to go ahead and receive the rabies shots, but the animal is NOT KILLED unless it demonstrates that it actually has rabies.

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps that happens in your area, I can only speak to my area and that DOES NOT HAPPEN. They quarantine the animal and if they do not show signs of rabies they are released to an animal rescue center - or back to owners, in some cases. Because of this approach the person bitten usually has to go ahead and receive the rabies shots, but the animal is NOT KILLED unless it demonstrates that it actually has rabies.
I’d only heard about the testing via the head, it’s good to know the barbaric practice isn’t done everywhere. I had a boss who was a vet tech years and years ago and she told me about the testing method...

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the brainstorming. Luckily she (the owner) had all the vaccination papers and sent them immediately while I was at urgent care! Rabies shots to humans can also be dangerous. My hubby is a dr. and has seen ppl go into cardiac arrest (or something) that puts them in the ICU from a rabies shot.

I have thought about putting up an outdoor "home" for Sammie away from her "nest" but i don't think that would solve the issue of him attacking little KittyKat who is no match for him.

My understanding is that cats like to "hang" close to the ones they love, so too far away and they won't use the new home.

I'd be glad to give him outdoor shelter, I know in my heart he is a beautiful soul, just abused, scared, lonely... hungry too. But I can't take him in. He loves to scratch the carpet, furniture, etc, jump on counters and knock everything over, and eat anything in sight, like olive oil in a dish, or just lick things. He is non-stop 24/7 busy busy busy. Plus with my hip and knee issues, emptying kitty litter would be a problem and my hubby doesn't want a cat inside.

Even though he is 2 years old his paws are big for his size so I think of him as a teenager. Possible? Anyway that's another reason the owner wanted him out of the house. She actually asked me about declawing him!!!! (she is pregnant...) Of course I said definitely not, he'd be defenseless, and it's horribly painful (stopped that at least!) but clipping claws, imo, has been very easy... She clearly didn't clip them by the time he attacked me.

Anyway, I am hoping I can talk to her or them again and find a peaceable solution as I am committed to peace and to working things out (etc)... not having anyone suffer. I can only imagine she is in pain. Plan not working so far.

I just can't figure anything to suggest as the fiance is not willing to let go of the puppy and she has said she doesn't even want any dog so clearly there's the impasse. Sadly she swings between opening up to me and going into deep denial and then I am to blame for everything. Her partner is the father of her baby-to-be. This must be so hard for her. I know she loves Sammie. I so wish I could help but don't want to wind up "the bad guy"! So often the case when dealing with certain personality types.

Thinking my best bet may be to call the Humane society to take him away over and over, but... I don't think that is the best solution. I truly feel Sammie loves his mom, and that she could love him for many beautiful years....and yet she is dependent somehow and scared to speak truth to her overpowering boyfriend/fiance. Just a theory of course. I think they return tomorrow now.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
It’s the wording that matters, and this applies all over the United States.

“Quarantining for rabies” is vastly different than “testing for rabies.”

Testing for rabies is only done in one way.

I’ve worked with high vector species at a licensed rabies quarantine facility for over a decade. Your profile indicates you’re from Florida - that is considered a high rabies risk state, so I can guarantee testing is utilized over quarantine even more strictly than other states.

And regardless of wording, if the owners or stewards will not, or cannot, pay for the quarantine - or the animal is unowned - then that virtually always takes quarantine off the table entirely. Which is why I pointed out that I highly doubt the owners would pay in this situation from what OP has described.

It’s just not remotely as simple as you make it sound. Quarantine costs money. US taxpayers cover testing costs, but our taxes do not cover quarantine.

Also, treatment is actually not recommended when quarantine is pursued for a companion animal that appears healthy. The primary purpose and benefit of quarantine over testing is that it is less costly and prevents unnecessary treatment.

Most pets will also always be surrendered back to owners after quarantine..... the only times this wouldn’t be the case is if the animal was deemed vicious or dangerous, or the home environment or owner was deemed unfit.

Additionally, there are many other situations that can also mandate testing/euthanasia, and much of it is dependent on what the victim does and wants.

For instance, if your pet bites someone and the victim demands the animal be tested for rabies, you are :censored: out of luck.

Your pet will be legally apprehended and euthanized to send it’s head off for testing, and there is no compensation or recourse for you even if they are negative. This can happen even if your pet is up-to-date on vaccinations, though proof of status can help.

Most victims who request testing often do so simply because they’re scared and rabies post-exposure prophylaxis is extremely cost-prohibitive. Depending on the what any individual hospital charges for HRIG (human rabies immunoglobulin), an entire rabies PEP series is anywhere from $3,000 up to $10,000, $20,000 and even nearing $50,000 in rare cases.

So even in a situation where quarantine can be provided, an otherwise well meaning victim can decide to have your pet tested because they’re overly panicked, uneducated about rabies, and strapped for cash.

Other people just don’t want to pay for treatment even if they could otherwise afford it. And holding onto their pocketbook is more important to them than your pet or the community cat.

In other cases, people don’t hate animals and have pets themselves, yet still hold the belief that any animal that has ever bitten someone is dangerous and should be euthanized (regardless of vaccination status). Or, they’re mad at the individual animal, believing it bit them on purpose out of spite.

We’ve even had cases of domestic and neighborly disputes where someone intentionally claims or provokes a bite from an animal they do not like, or who has an owner they are at odds with, just so they can report the incident and request the animal be promptly destroyed for testing.

Victims can have a lot of power in determining whether a companion animal is tested or quarantined - which is why I pleaded with OP to not request the cat be tested, especially since it seems like it would actually break her heart if that happened given the affection she’s expressed for this cat.

But other factors like bite history and location of the bite on the victim can also determine the outcome for whether the animal is tested rather than quarantined.

And in most states, an unvaccinated or unowned domestic animal deemed to be potentially exposed to rabies (which can be as simple as being witnessed in close proximity to a bat or having a bite wound of unknown origin) is virtually always immediately tested if reported.

There are many factors that are considered when officials determine whether testing or quarantine is appropriate - and the final decision is ultimately up to the victim in instances where quarantine had been deemed a viable option

Rabies is a serious public health threat, so it’s treated as such. In general, a healthy, nonaggressive, provably up-to-date companion animal is decently legally protected from rabies testing - but even that is not a sure thing.

Either way, it is very important for OP to verify this cat’s vaccination status, as it is not too late for rabies PEP if he’s not up-to-date.

If she can’t easily afford treatment (most local public health departments offer it at low-no cost, but most of the actual public is not aware of that and go to a hospital instead), then maybe she can afford to cover the cat’s quarantine if the owners agree to it.

But hopefully there is proof of vaccination and OP doesn’t need to worry about any of this!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the brainstorming. Luckily she (the owner) had all the vaccination papers and sent them immediately while I was at urgent care! Rabies shots to humans can also be dangerous. My hubby is a dr. and has seen ppl go into cardiac arrest (or something) that puts them in the ICU from a rabies shot.

I have thought about putting up an outdoor "home" for Sammie away from her "nest" but i don't think that would solve the issue of him attacking little KittyKat who is no match for him.

My understanding is that cats like to "hang" close to the ones they love, so too far away and they won't use the new home.

I'd be glad to give him outdoor shelter, I know in my heart he is a beautiful soul, just abused, scared, lonely... hungry too. But I can't take him in. He loves to scratch the carpet, furniture, etc, jump on counters and knock everything over, and eat anything in sight, like olive oil in a dish, or just lick things. He is non-stop 24/7 busy busy busy. Plus with my hip and knee issues, emptying kitty litter would be a problem and my hubby doesn't want a cat inside.

Even though he is 2 years old his paws are big for his size so I think of him as a teenager. Possible? Anyway that's another reason the owner wanted him out of the house. She actually asked me about declawing him!!!! (she is pregnant...) Of course I said definitely not, he'd be defenseless, and it's horribly painful (stopped that at least!) but clipping claws, imo, has been very easy... She clearly didn't clip them by the time he attacked me.

Anyway, I am hoping I can talk to her or them again and find a peaceable solution as I am committed to peace and to working things out (etc)... not having anyone suffer. I can only imagine she is in pain. Plan not working so far.

I just can't figure anything to suggest as the fiance is not willing to let go of the puppy and she has said she doesn't even want any dog so clearly there's the impasse. Sadly she swings between opening up to me and going into deep denial and then I am to blame for everything. Her partner is the father of her baby-to-be. This must be so hard for her. I know she loves Sammie. I so wish I could help but don't want to wind up "the bad guy"! So often the case when dealing with certain personality types.

Thinking my best bet may be to call the Humane society to take him away over and over, but... I don't think that is the best solution. I truly feel Sammie loves his mom, and that she could love him for many beautiful years....and yet she is dependent somehow and scared to speak truth to her overpowering boyfriend/fiance. Just a theory of course. I think they return tomorrow now.
What an awful situation.

Personally, I don’t think it’s fair to give up the puppy either.

Both animals sound as though they are suffering due to their owners’ irresponsibility and ill-preparedness to take care of their pets. Hopefully that will not translate over to their parenting skills.....

Unfortunately, the humane society won’t be able to take Sammie, they don’t have the authority. At best, they might be able to help with an investigation.

In order for proper authorities to take away the animals, you would need proof of physical abuse, inadequate food, water, shelter, or medical care :/

That’s why you received some suggestions to do this more covertly.

Honestly, he sounds like a normal 2 year old! A good home and dedicated owners to help him work through any aggression issues would likely help.

Is there a way you and your husband could have an enclosure or catio built for KittyKat to help protect her from Sammie? Or even cat-proofing your fence if you have one?

Sorry if I missed this, but is Sammie neutered?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the op and others that the cat that bit was reacting normally for a cat. He has endured too much and needed help from the only human available to help. Being cut off from help means a cat will desperately try to get our attention. After dealing with many, many cats over a long lifetime, I have to admit that the ONLY time I was ever bitten, it was because of something I did or didn’t do right. My fault for reacting in a way that confused the cat. Kitties will nip for love bites or play rough but a truly fierce bite is only done when the cat feels desperate. My heart goes out to the op and both kitties involved. If the owner of the cat that bit is neglecting it then they are committing abuse which is illegal. A rescue group could be brought in to help the kitty and evaluate his status. These things can easily get out of hand so a calm and careful process should be observed. Testing for rabies does still continue by looking at the brain of the animal but assessing is different and involves observing the animal. Most animal control systems are challenged for resources and space which is why getting him to a rescue group would be preferable.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input! What a loving group of cats' pets this is! (I am my feral cat's pet, of course!)

I did call the local Feral Society and spoke to the head lady there, and she told me she'd be willing to talk to the owners should Sammie wind up on my door step again. Even if my wound healed, I still worry about bartonella and other infections.

Since they are coming home today, I can assure you this is imminent. He hasn't been out in 9 days.

I am hoping they had a come-to-Jesus moment discussion where they too see the gravity of their mess and my entanglement, and the situation with their upcoming baby, but... I doubt it. They are la-la land types. All sunshine and denial. "Nothing to see here!"

Hmmm... Either call Ms. Feral Lady... the Humane Society... water gun... or find out from neighbors what is going on (expecting either honesty or more bs.) 50-50. They need to realize what is happening is not a joke or something they can ignore, which has been their attitude, "He's an outside cat, so you deal with it" has been their position.

My position is, "Your cat attacked me, injured me, and has been attacking my cat." I don't have any other options if you won't meet with me and solve this as a group. If you don't, please understand I mean no harm, but your cat will be spending a lot of time at the Humane Society, and it will cost you money each time you pick him up.

I could also send them a copy of California cat bite laws. Cat bite laws in California - Can I file a lawsuit?

That would make the most sense, I guess, with the exception that I would prefer something peaceful. I think the owner's fiance has some loose screws, and living next door- prefer to not stir up hornets nests.

And in the end... my heart breaks. For poor Sammie, who is a victim here. He deserves so much better. And for KittyKat. She is so sweet and kind, she doesn't deserve to be forced out of her home. And I doubt she would survive living in a cage. All she'd ever known is living and playing in her own "hood and coming home to her nest, more and more as she gets older. It's good for her to run around and get some exercise. For her age, she's looking like a cat model!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suggest you bring Kittykat I’m permanently. Outside kitties already live at risk from predators and if you have a neighbor that is unbalanced they may decide to take things out on Kittykat. Save her and then save Sammi. Sending him to the Humane Society can easily mean that he will be put down and the owners are very unlikely to pay to get him out. I know you don’t want to be the cause of him being put down. Shooting him with a spray gun is NOT the answer. You’ll terrify him. What if you scared him and he ran into the street? As someone who has dealt with many rescues and humans that did not properly care for their cats as responsible pet parents, I can only see a couple of good answers for you. The first and most kind is to bring Kittykat in. The second is to call a RESCUE group and not the Humane Society or offer to buy Dammi from the owners. A no kill group may be the only way to keep Sammi safe. You could also try to become friends with your neighbors. They are expecting a baby? Then do something nice for them. You be the bigger person and extend friendship. That way you can get to know them and have a much better chance to influence them about Sammi. I know you got bitten but making Sammi pay for being a cat and doing what comes naturally is not the way to go since you obviously care a great deal about him. I can see you don’t want to cause him any harm.
As for your worries about Bartonelkas or any other health issues, when we’re you bitten? Did you go to your doctor? Did the doc have any concerns? Is the bite red or swollen? Are you keeping it clean and using any antibiotics? Sorry if you have already posted all that but I just wanted to understand how you are doing. I have had bites too and understand what you need to watch for in a bite. I’ve bright in over a hundred ferals and never caught anything from any of them. The only bite I ever had to get infected was from my own cat who was immunized. Lol Go figure!
Please understand that unless you are trying to get them to give Sammi to you, the threat of a lawsuit will only cause bitterness and possibly have them put Sammi down themselves to avoid the problem. He would likely just vanish and then you have no proof of anything. Unless you have video of the cat as it caused that particular bite , a lawsuit is very likely to just cost you a bundle of money with no good results. Any future bites are likely cause them to claim that you did something to their cat. Again, it’s best to make peace with the neighbor and try to deal with the situation that way. Who can resist a “new baby” card or gift?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI Jcatbird, and thanks for your response. A lot has happened since I posted this.
The owners of Sammie went away right after the urgent care visit (12/22/19). On the next day,12/23, they left for a vacation, as planned. That morning, 12/23, we saw Sammi on our doorstep, the fiance had "accidentally let him out" and he had been out all night. They were already at the airport. They had their catsitter put him back inside.

Again. How can anyone accidentally let a cat out right before leaving for a nine day trip? And it's like, the 5th time he's done that only to have Lady X call days later looking for him.

The Humane Society and the Feral Society both suggested spraying hose water, which I did a few times, but to little avail even with a hose. I couldn't do it again. Ever.

That night of their return on 1/3, when he had been coming and going all day, he scared me by running into my house from the front as I entered. The surprise of it! Clever one he is. I broke down. He was ecstatic. Rolling around in joy. I now feel he was trying to apologize or something, he had been crying at my window on and off that day. I was still scared... gave him some food, to get him to leave the house, but not before petting him and telling him I still love him. It dawned on me later, he HAD to talk to me, that's why he did that. Maybe it's must me... making things up, but it sure felt that way.

I wrote a very nice note to Lady X, no response. The next day, a note from Lady X, saying, "We were surprised that you had us quarantine the cat." We did no such thing, in fact we didn't even file a complaint! Even though I had to take heavy meds which ... you now... not pretty. And other costs. We are trying to be as nice as we can. I almost sense that these people are "curious"... if you know what i mean.

But legally we were informed we had to file a bite report. So I don't know if they just were doing the same old "blame me for everything" that she often does, as in "quit feeding our cat!" and such. Never any empathy, apology, etc. In fact i saw on Nextdoor they offered to foster a puppy dog for ten days on her 1/3 return, and she told me she doesn't even want a dog at all, as the cat doesn't get along with the puppy they already have. So her word is worth zero. I continue to be friendly but at the same time keep my distance... like I would anyone who does not make sense.

So I have some ?. I have realized as you say, that Sammie is the victim here. She does brush him but his papers (I saw them when she sent in the rabies docs) show he was due for flea treatment on 12/27. He is always scratching his neck. I would love to take him in sometimes but can't handle fleas and don't want to double treat him. Or maybe not even legal and don't want to deal with these people who can't keep stories straight. (They were at the airport when I told them their cat was out, so clearly he wasn't quarantined then...any I don't want to deal with them, too confused. Not sure what to do.

My other ?... in addition to how to treat for fleas when they won't and I can't trust them for a second... is my own KittyKat. She is unwilling to come in, my hubby does NOT want her or Sammie inside, and I have made a nest for KittyKat outside. Is there a way to make Sammie feel like a welcome guest without him going postal? Is feeding him so bad? I have had to, on occasion, just to distract him when KittyKat is hungry.

I agree with you with much of what you've said, that sending him off in a cage is abhorrent to me. And that he does not deserve this treatment. He is an angel deep down.

Can he be rehabilitated so he doesn't bite? I don't want to be at risk but am willing to be a friend in need to him especially if he can respect KittyKat and not bite. Even as I wrote this, he ran KittyKat off our property. Can this ever change? I feel so conflicted.

THANK YOU Anyone who can help!!!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can't train a cat that you only see for a while each day and that someone else 'owns'. All you can do is give him food and attention when he does show up, if you are inclined to do so. Since your husband does not want KittyKat in your home, you can't do anything about Sammie chasing her off either. And no, I don't recommend that you try the hose spraying on him again. If you could bring her in and make her an indoor cat, that would solve most of your dilemma.

Given Sammie's situation is out of your control, and apparently so is KittyKat's, the only possible solution would be to build or buy KittyKat a catio and block the lower half off so that Sammie cannot get to her. Then, you could set up cat perches inside the catio so that KittyKat could climb up on them to be able to see out without having to fear Sammie. I doubt that your husband would go for that either, but you might consider discussing it with him.