Water Fountains

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a water fountain for my boys and they absolutely love it, but it is made of plastic and I want to upgrade to stainless for several reasons.

I spent close to 2 hours on here the other night reading threads about them but most were from between 2004 and 2007. I am sure the water fountains have improved and changed since then... 

So, my questions are -

Do you have a stainless steel water fountain?

Which one (brand) do you have?

Is the 'fountain' part a stream, bubbler, or other type?

Do your cats like it?

Do you like it?

How easy or difficult is it to clean (dismantling the motor, etc.)

Do you have issues with hard water build up?

Does it fit on a counter top? How big is it?

How is the quality? (Did it burn up after 6 months, or is it still functional after 5 years?)

What is the noise level? Can you hear the motor running a lot, or just the serenity of the water flowing?

Other than the motor, is it all stainless, or are there other major components that are plastic (I saw some where the bowl was stainless, but the rest of the fountain was made of plastic - kind of 'false advertising in my opinion).

How expensive are the replacement filters and how long do they last? Are they easy to find and purchase in a store, or online only?

Where did you purchase your fountain? (in store or online?) 

What are the Pros and Cons of the fountain you have?

Would you recommend it to others? 

I just don't want to spend $80 - $100 for one and be totally disappointed with it!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 fountains. My favorite of the two by far is the Pioneer Pet stainless Big Max

Is the 'fountain' part a stream, bubbler, or other type? Stream

Do your cats like it? Yes. So does the dog

Do you like it? Very much

How easy or difficult is it to clean (dismantling the motor, etc.) Super easy. The filters are readily available online. Dishwasher safe also

Do you have issues with hard water build up? No. I use filtered water in it

Does it fit on a counter top? How big is it? It could depending on counter space. It is the "big max" 4 ¼” H x 12” W x 13.75” L

How is the quality? (Did it burn up after 6 months, or is it still functional after 5 years?) Very good. I've had it going on 2 years and no issues

What is the noise level? Can you hear the motor running a lot, or just the serenity of the water flowing? Just a very soft sound of water flowing. Very nice. The motor will make noise if the water level is low but otherwise does not make noise at all

Other than the motor, is it all stainless, or are there other major components that are plastic (I saw some where the bowl was stainless, but the rest of the fountain was made of plastic - kind of 'false advertising in my opinion). The part that the motor goes into is a clamshell shape and is plastic. There are 2 other parts besides the motor. The bowl itself which is stainless and the top part where the water comes out of and that is stainless as well

How expensive are the replacement filters and how long do they last? Are they easy to find and purchase in a store, or online only? I buy them from Amazon and they are $13.99 for 10. I replace it once a month

Where did you purchase your fountain? (in store or online?)  Amazon

What are the Pros and Cons of the fountain you have? I love it. It's perfect for us because I have 3 cats and a dog drinking from it. It's big, quiet, so easy to clean, the filters are available from Amazon at a decent price and it's nice to look at. I also have the Pioneer Pet black ceramic raindrop fountain that I bought at Kohl's on sale plus discount so it ended up at about $20. I used this one when Henry was in his safe room. It's also nice and uses the same filters as the Big Max. It's a back up fountain at this point. I  much prefer the Big Max. The raindrop fountain is much smaller so it's really only good for one or 2 cats max. It's pretty but MUCH heavier than the Big Max as it's ceramic

Replacement filters I use (not PP brand but they work perfectly)

I was buying these but switched to the ones above

Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely, YES. All the kids really like it. I love it because it's so quick and easy to take apart, clean and put back together. The stainless one is also nice and light especially compared to the ceramic one which is fancier but much heavier and smaller.

ETA: The motor does not get dismantled. It's fairly small and can be replaced. My dog is 40 pounds and loves the fountain so she drinks a lot of water (she's also almost 14 years old). The fountain gets refilled a lot. It also goes dry sometimes if I'm not home. The motor is a workhorse. It really is. I've come home and found it empty and all I do is unplug it, refill it, plug it back in again and it's once again chugging along like a champ. Amazon sells replacement motors should you need one.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 fountains. My favorite of the two by far is the Pioneer Pet stainless Big Max

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EFVQDC?redirect=true&keywords=pioneer%20pet%20stainless%20big%20max&qid=1450932312&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1&pldnSite=1

How easy or difficult is it to clean (dismantling the motor, etc.) Super easy. The filters are readily available online. Dishwasher safe also
Does it fit on a counter top? How big is it? It could depending on counter space. It is the "big max" 4 ¼” H x 12” W x 13.75” L
How is the quality? (Did it burn up after 6 months, or is it still functional after 5 years?) Very good. I've had it going on 2 years and no issues
What is the noise level? Can you hear the motor running a lot, or just the serenity of the water flowing? Just a very soft sound of water flowing. Very nice. The motor will make noise if the water lever is low but otherwise does not make noise at all
Other than the motor, is it all stainless, or are there other major components that are plastic (I saw some where the bowl was stainless, but the rest of the fountain was made of plastic - kind of 'false advertising in my opinion).The part that the motor goes into is a clamshell shape and is plastic. There are 2 other parts besides the motor. The bowl itself which is stainless and the top part where the water comes out of and that is stainless as well
How expensive are the replacement filters and how long do they last? Are they easy to find and purchase in a store, or online only? I buy them from Amazon and they are $13.99 for 10

What are the Pros and Cons of the fountain you have? I love it. It's perfect for us because I have 3 cats and a dog drinking from it. It's big, quiet, so easy to clean, the filters are available from Amazon at a decent price and it's nice to look at. I also have the Pioneer Pet black ceramic raindrop fountain that I bought at Kohl's on sale plus discount so it ended up at about $20. I used this one when Henry was in his safe room. It's also nice and uses the same filters as the Big Max. It's a back up fountain at this point. I  much prefer the Big Max. The raindrop fountain is much smaller so it's really only good for one or 2 cats max. It's pretty but MUCH heavier than the Big Max as it's ceramic

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-6022-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B00329RZFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450933667&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+pet+black+raindrop+ceramic

http://www.amazon.com/Filters-Pioneer-Ceramic-Stainless-Fountains/dp/B00RPS76LQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450933891&sr=8-2&keywords=pioneer+pet+filters

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Replacement-Stainless-Fountains/dp/B0044XKY82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450933891&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+pet+filters

Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely, YES. All the kids really like it. I love it because it's so quick and easy to take apart, clean and put back together. The stainless one is also nice and light especially compared to the ceramic one which is fancier but much heavier and smaller.

ETA: The motor does not get dismantled. It's fairly small and can be replaced. My dog is 40 pounds and loves the fountain so she drinks a lot of water (she's also almost 14 years old). The fountain gets refilled a lot. It also goes dry sometimes if I'm not home. The motor is a workhorse. It really is. I've come home and found it empty and all I do is unplug it, refill it, plug it back in again and it's once again chugging along like a champ. Amazon sells replacement motors should you need one.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Replacement-Smartcat-Fountains/dp/B00HNGZGJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450934409&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+pet+motor
I know that your cats are on all wet food. How much supplemental water do they drink?

When my cat was on dry food, he would drink out of the bathtub faucet nearly every day. Now that he's on all wet food, he just looks at the dripping faucet and walks away. He doesn't act even remotely interested in drinking from it.

I've thought about getting a drinking fountain, but wondered if it would be pointless and not get used since my cat has quit having any interest in the bathtub faucet.

I looked at your first link. That looks like an awesome fountain for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What is the noise level? Can you hear the motor running a lot, or just the serenity of the water flowing? Just a very soft sound of water flowing. Very nice. The motor will make noise if the water lever is low but otherwise does not make noise at all

Other than the motor, is it all stainless, or are there other major components that are plastic (I saw some where the bowl was stainless, but the rest of the fountain was made of plastic - kind of 'false advertising in my opinion). The part that the motor goes into is a clamshell shape and is plastic. There are 2 other parts besides the motor. The bowl itself which is stainless and the top part where the water comes out of and that is stainless as well

How expensive are the replacement filters and how long do they last? Are they easy to find and purchase in a store, or online only? I buy them from Amazon and they are $13.99 for 10

What are the Pros and Cons of the fountain you have? I love it. It's perfect for us because I have 3 cats and a dog drinking from it. It's big, quiet, so easy to clean, the filters are available from Amazon at at decent price and it's nice to look at. I also have the Pioneer Pet black ceramic raindrop fountain that I bought at Kohl's on sale plus discount so it ended up at about $20. I used this one when Henry was in his safe room. It's also nice and uses the same filters as the Big Max. It's a back up fountain at this point. I  much prefer the Big Max. The raindrop fountain is much smaller so it's really only good for one or 2 cats max. It's pretty but MUCH heavier than the Big Max as it's ceramic

I know that your cats are on all wet food. How much supplemental water do they drink?

When my cat was on dry food, he would drink out of the bathtub faucet nearly every day. Now that he's on all wet food, he just looks at the dripping faucet and walks away. He doesn't act even remotely interested in drinking from it.

I've thought about getting a drinking fountain, but wondered if it would be pointless and not get used since my cat has quit having any interest in the bathtub faucet.

I looked at your first link. That looks like an awesome fountain for a reasonable price.
Yes. They are on an all canned diet. They don't drink a LOT of water but they do really like the fountain. Before I got the fountain, They had a stainless steel bowl which they almost never touched. I see them at the fountain a few times a day taking some in here and there. I work full time so I don't know what they drink while I'm not there. The dog drinks a LOT of water but she's so much bigger than they are. She loves the fountain too. I think the Big Max fountain is worth every cent.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a stainless steel water fountain? No, ceramic.

Which one (brand) do you have?  Petsafe Ceramic Fountain

Is the 'fountain' part a stream, bubbler, or other type? Falling water.

Do your cats like it? They seem to. They are on 98% wet food, so they don't drink a ton of water as it is, but they do drink some.

Do you like it? Yes. LOVE. Rave about it. 

How easy or difficult is it to clean (dismantling the motor, etc.) SO EASY. Previous fountains required me to unscrew 15 different parts to clean and refill it. Such a pain. This fountain has 2 ceramic parts (the bowl and the fountain) and the pump and filter. That's it. It's literally an open fountain, so to refill it, I just dump a water glass in the top every couple days. There's no "reservoir" that you have to take out and refill and then try to flip upside down without spilling. To clean it, I just dump it out, wipe it out with vinegar, pop the filter out and rinse, put the filter back in, and put the fountain part back on.

Do you have issues with hard water build up? No, I think the vinegar that I wipe it out with helps with any mineral build up.

Does it fit on a counter top? How big is it? It would fit on the counter top. See pictures in the link for approx. size. 

How is the quality? Awesome so far. I haven't had any problems. There's just a few parts to it, so there's little that can actually go bad. The only thing that has a chance of going bad is the pump, which is replaceable without buying a whole new fountain.

What is the noise level? Can you hear the motor running a lot, or just the serenity of the water flowing? I can't hear the motor, but I can here falling water.

Other than the motor, is it all stainless, or are there other major components that are plastic? It's all ceramic. The motor and filter parts are plastic, everything else is ceramic. 

How expensive are the replacement filters and how long do they last? Are they easy to find and purchase in a store, or online only? They sell replacement filters at Petco and online. Online they are 4 filters for $11.

Where did you purchase your fountain? (in store or online?) Purchased at Petco.

What are the Pros and Cons of the fountain you have? Pros: Easy to clean, not a ton of parts to clean, easy to refill. Cons: If you're sensitive to sounds, the falling water may be too loud. (Pump is quiet, just falling water can be loud.)

Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I will forever sing it's praises.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK -- Update!

I like both of the fountains you suggested; however, I want to keep it on my counter which, unfortunately, is a little small and both of these fountains are so big! I have two cats so I really don't need a fountain that holds a galon of water. The one they have right now holds about a quart and that is a great size. It's about 6 inches square and doesn't take up a lot of room. 

Sooooooooooo... a friend stopped by last night and she had her 9 yr old son with her. We were discussing my dilemma of wanting a stainless fountain that would fit on my counter and be easy to clean etc.  Her son was watching the cats drink and he turned around and said, "Wow! I bet they would love drinking out of my little aquarium! You should buy them one of those! Heck! You could even make one!"   VOILA! Brilliant idea! Out of the mouths of babes!

I have been on YouTube this morning checking out small aquariums and filters and 'homemade' water fountains. Some were a little tackey and very 'homemade' looking, but there were a couple that were ingenious - not too mention under $20, easy to put together, easy to maintain, and small enough to fit on my counter! I am going to go to the pet store and check out some options. Right now, I am considering getting a small Tetra filter and putting it in a square glass or stainless bowl. Right now, my brain is doing flip-flops and my imagination is on over-drive! 

Wish me luck and if all works according to plan, I will come back with pictures, reviews and possibly a video! 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is older but the fountain article links to it, I just ordered the pioneer pet teardrop fountain for my guys. Mainly for Kabuto who is obsessed with my shower.

I got the ceramic one since it was only 1 dollar more than the stainless Kabuto has a history of breakouts so plastic bugs him. I don't have the unit yet but will update when I get it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is older but the fountain article links to it, I just ordered the pioneer pet teardrop fountain for my guys. Mainly for Kabuto who is obsessed with my shower.

I got the ceramic one since it was only 1 dollar more than the stainless Kabuto has a history of breakouts so plastic bugs him. I don't have the unit yet but will update when I get it.
Not even 12 house since setup and he is using it all by himself.
20231025_225758.jpg