Water Fountains And Scoop-Free Litter Boxes

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Drinkwell® Pagoda Pet Fountain. You can hear the water running. It's not loud. My cats use it. My litter boxes are storage bins,no covers.. I scoop daily. If your cat is adult that might be too small for her. I have never used those litter boxes. To me, unsanitary. Other fountain I have is not listed. It is stainless steel . After my cat having bad acne, no ceramic or plastic

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For water fountains, I highly recommend this one. FRISCO Round Dog & Cat Fountain, 50-oz, Gray - Chewy.com It is near silent! Maybe a very soft hum of the motor?? No water noises heard at all. As someone who is very sensitive to unwanted noises, I could not stand any trickling or splashing water of ones I've tried in the past no matter how quiet. It has a carbon filter to help keep the water fresher.

I also have never used scoop-free litter boxes and just scoop once in the morning and once at night.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I purchased the drinkwell platinum water fountain and the cats and I love it. In fact I have two. They are quiet and very easy to clean.
I use to have a scoop free litter box, i dont remember the brand…it was nice if you only have one or two cats…loved it in the beginning but after awhile the rake hand would get stuck in the middle. I needed to check it everyday to make sure it wouldn’t burn the motor out and for the cats tobe able to use it since it would usually get stuck in the middle of the box. I think I had it for a couple of years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Drinkwell® Pagoda Pet Fountain. You can hear the water running. It's not loud. My cats use it. My litter boxes are storage bins,no covers.. I scoop daily. If your cat is adult that might be too small for her. I have never used those litter boxes. To me, unsanitary. Other fountain I have is not listed. It is stainless steel . After my cat having bad acne, no ceramic or plastic
That's the fountain that got me interested in buying one. I saw it in a video about cat's hydration. Does it just filter dirt and stuff? Sometimes bugs land in there. I give them the same high quality water I drink, Mountain Valley Spring Water. I don't want a filter to strip away the natural minerals or anything.

Whichever filter I get I just want it to filter the bad stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea for using storage containers for litter boxes. I have several large cats and some who don’t stoop when they pee. That’s what I use for all my cats, my husband cut a doorway for them and I don’t use the top.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any you recommend? I was just looking at them on this site:

Water Fountains:
Shop Pet Fountains by PetSafe

Scoop-free litter boxes:
Shop Litter Boxes products by PetSafe
I do not like scoop-free boxes for many reasons, the most important of which is that I want to monitor their health. Also, many people who have these get rid of them because they don't work properly, break, and/or don't scoop everything. I like the normal open litterboxes and large heavy metal scoops; and I scoop 3-5 times daily.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fountain wise I'm using the Raindrop by Pioneer. Delilah doesn't deal well with tall, noisy fountains. The first one we tried was the Catit and she was terrified. Second one was one that was like a waterfall sliding into the base, not one that shoots out or bubbles. She liked it, but it was plastic and a real pain to clean.

I am using the Scoopfree litterbox (not the smart one) for about 4 or 5 months now, 1 cat, and I love it. My only issue is that the "solid waste zone" sometimes lets odor through the second week, so right now I'm trying baking soda in that area (she doesn't walk into that). The only time it sticks on the rake is when it's a little softer than usual, which is when she's eaten something with fish. Frankly it saves my back (I've been having back issues). For my kitty I've found it's best to change between 2 and 3 weeks. It says it can go to a month, but the solid waste chamber gets kind of full. And personally, I've never felt comfortable leaving any litter a month. I sit down on the floor, flip up the unit, close the litter tray box and put it into a trash bag, wipe down the unit, put in new box, done.

Yes it tracks, but I'm thinking of changing mats because this mat doesn't seem to be holding looks litter well. It was fine with the small grained corn litter but not with the crystal.

The 2 worst times I've had with it were when Delilah had some fish based food with looser than usual stools that were too close to the side and smeared (since I can't bend much, I used one of those grabbing sticks and some wipes to clean it down), and when a loose piece of kitty litter imbedded in my heel (yeah, not fun).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch the one I recommended. No ceramic. My cat got bad acne from her ceramic food bowls. Stainless steel or wash every day. No desire to do that with a fountain. She did love it. Still haven't found a good stainless steel

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Wonder Creature pet fountain. It has a stainless steel pan and the inside is plastic, easy to clean. The fountain and its filters are inexpensive. My cat loves the moving water and doesn't bug me to turn on the bathroom faucet anymore. :happycat:

Last edited:

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ladytimedramon ladytimedramon I have the same fountain and my cat Sango too was afraid of the Catit fountain. My only grip with the raindrop fountain is that it sometimes rattles if Sango displaces it slightly. I have the stainless steel version and do soak the whole thing monthly with a cup of vinegar mixed in water, because we have really hard water in Upstate NY.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To a degree I did like the design of the fresh flow better. Extra water was held in a bottle behind the waterfall. But it was a pain to clean and generally just ugly.

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To a degree I did like the design of the fresh flow better. Extra water was held in a bottle behind the waterfall. But it was a pain to clean and generally just ugly.
Which company is makes the fresh flow?

All these choices, plastic, stainless steel, etc., makes this a tough choice. I might go with debbila's Wonder Creature suggestion because of the price and her satisfaction with it. Unless someone can convince me to buy something else by tomorrow I'll buy that and see how it goes.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Pushka51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought this from Aldi £20 my cats use all the time I turn it off when they are asleep 😴

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

TubbyBubby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pipurr has a ceramic fountain from Thirsty Cats in addition to her regular water bowl. They are very nice looking and have very quiet fountains compared to some commercial brands I’ve tried. My cat will run if the bubbler is too loud, but this one is whisper quiet. They are handmade so no two are alike!